[Solution] Blocking all Youtube Video Advertisements

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
ALX1S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 18:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Is your EA6500 a v1 or v2? The v2 is supported by freshtomato, which may help your situation. I would have to look and see what would need to be done to support the v1.

I achieve it, i made it work using Tomato USB (features es called: "Intercept DNS port" inside DNSmasq advanced configuration).

I just have a question, i am placed in argentina, and i am checking longs and identify the records rX---sn-xxxxxxxx.googlevideo.com pointing a public IP located inside Arg. But is there another better method to gather this list? (I am filtering those records inside a local list that i build).

BTW, build a python-flask front end for monitoring how adbkick is working, filter and blacklist some IP (trying replicate a cheap pihole).

ALX
Sponsor
ALX1S
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
mkaand wrote:
Hi @T81,

Thank you very much for nice comments. You are free to improve or fork my work. It is open license. You an create dnsmasq version or you can modify for other systems like PiHole.

Hi, sorry i dont like to send multi messages, but just found another not good detail.

I was using the provided list by t81 because it adapts to my TomatoUSB standard file to be used into adblocker. But i find out that lot of ads requests are appearing more and more often. I run a dig to most of the ones on his list, i found that they dont have any DNS records, so my thought are one of the following:

* They have some sort of geo location DNS ACL (I am located in Argentina) - They actually do some DNS Anycast , because some of the provided information where different on my location for records like redirect.googlevideo.com

* They are expired and there are new names replacing those.

So here is my question ones again, how can i identify which records are from ads and which ones are for real videos? some friend of mine provided me an android app that filter videos, but the DNS resolution is totally different, so i can not identify which is the source of the ad and which is the video itself Sad.

My previous approach was to search the location of the IP from records using a script, and blacklist the ones that are from my location, but I realize that starts filtering some youtube videos with the ads.

I hope this topic is not dead, because i feel it very interesting and some of the threats that they are doing something for blocking ads instead of lot others saying "pay premium" like a dump-ss

Thanks,

Alex
silveria
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read the setup from the owner's github repo and it just seems over-complicated to me (especially the need for a php hosting). It's an entirely different question why dd-wrt doesn't have built-in functionality for this after all these years - it's definitely something one would expect from a mature custom firmware.
Anyway I've tried the approach from this blog https://blog.adamzolo.com/ad-blocking-with-ddwrt/ because it seems much easier and I've combined the urls from the static and dynamic lists from this thread and added them to the mvps file. Unfortunately it's not blocking any adds at all. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this or if this is dnsmasq issue. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
silveria wrote:
I read the setup from the owner's github repo and it just seems over-complicated to me (especially the need for a php hosting). It's an entirely different question why dd-wrt doesn't have built-in functionality for this after all these years - it's definitely something one would expect from a mature custom firmware.
Anyway I've tried the approach from this blog https://blog.adamzolo.com/ad-blocking-with-ddwrt/ because it seems much easier and I've combined the urls from the static and dynamic lists from this thread and added them to the mvps file. Unfortunately it's not blocking any adds at all. I am not sure how to troubleshoot this or if this is dnsmasq issue. Any ideas would be appreciated!

When people dont know something they believe it doesn't exist...so knowledge is a major factor...

DDWRT has a privoxy...and also support of IPset...and this is more than enough to build and use blocklist...as well tons of ad-blocking scripts....i already replied you in the other thread... https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=333777

as well if you want to block youtube ads use uBlock origin add on on your PC...I fact youtube
knows how to avoid ad blockers...and its hard to block all the ads there...as some are parsed inside the stream...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not all supported routers have Privoxy.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2023 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Not all supported routers have Privoxy.

true, so true..not all routers support IPset neither... Rolling Eyes
so, yep on those lower level/basic routers, the only way is script DNS based adblocking....

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: