Samba4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 13:09    Post subject: Samba4 Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone had taken the time to get the current Samba4 ported over and unning on dd-wrt?

I would like to use my e3000 as an AD server for a win2008 r2 domain and of course the combined SMB/CIFS support would be great.

Just wondering..

Latest and greatest builds Wink
Sponsor
gruenesAlien
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Samba4 is not in dd-wrt. Samba4 is not in optware,too, as the samba34 and samba35 packages are compiled without merged samba4 build and there's no extra samba4 package. You should be able to setup a NT4-Domain and join that domain with your Server (to have a single sign on on multiple machines).

If you really need the AD you should consider use the server2008 as primary device if it is to play around you need a "big" linux (probably virtual machine?)
stephensuley
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
gruenesAlien wrote:
Samba4 is not in dd-wrt. Samba4 is not in optware,too, as the samba34 and samba35 packages are compiled without merged samba4 build and there's no extra samba4 package. You should be able to setup a NT4-Domain and join that domain with your Server (to have a single sign on on multiple machines).

If you really need the AD you should consider use the server2008 as primary device if it is to play around you need a "big" linux (probably virtual machine?)

I could run a xen hypervisor on a custom router board with 1gb of RAM and flash and usb storage as well. Then create a Widows server VM on the router itself.

the new kernel updates are specific updates for virtualization and added driver, I also see a recent change for high mem devices above >128MB ram.

What do you think about that plan?

Latest and greatest builds Wink
gruenesAlien
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would suggest to invest some money in a 50$ atom board (e.g. Intel D410PT), 20$ in ram (2 GB), 30$ for hdd (100GB), 50$ for chassis and power. With this very very cheap and you will be much more happy with that.

Another option would be to buy a Seagate Dockstar and put Debian on it. Debian has an experimental samba4 package. The dockstar is cheap (approx 30$ and has a 1,2 Ghz CPU and thus faster than any cheap router).

I think you proposition will bring you a lot of headache. Even Sever 2003 will have problems with 512mb RAM not to speak of server 2008. The VM will be damn slow because I cannot imagine that dd-wrt kernel has any features included that make VMs faster (and kernel bigger). Disk IO is always slow from within a VM, storing the VM on an slow external USB will make things even slower.
PaulP
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
gruenesAlien

I am agree with you. I have bought of 520$ notebook ViewSonic VNB131 based on Intel CULV technology.
It consist of:
Intel SU9400 1,8 GHz (2 head, 4 threads),
4 Gb RAM
500 Gb HDD (5400 rpm).
It consumes only 14 Wt and works very fast.
My router Asus RT-N16 consumes at least 12 Wt and works so slow...!

Also I have bought 4 x 2 Tb external HDD and plug in them to the notebook.
It works 24x7 and download torrents and files from Internet.
No more problems and headache because I install on notebook Windows 7 Ultimate x64, utorrent and all works fine and very reliably!!!
ssamuel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 19:28    Post subject: Updates? Reply with quote
This thread was started several years ago while Samba4 was still in pre-stable. It also turns out that Samba4 now has some [i]lower[/i] system requirements than the 3.x versions, which may make it more suitable for an Optware package.

Any updates? Other than contacting the Samba team, any ideas on who I could help out with investigating/building Samba4 for Optware?

With some modern hardware, it seems viable and desirable to have router+WiFi+AD-DC in one box, especially if it includes RADIUS.

TIA!
wifijunkie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Old thread, same topic, different day...

I just happened to run opkg list on my Linksys EA6400 (DD-WRT v3.0-r44772 std 11/11/20) and noticed these samba4 entries (below).

I'm wondering if anyone's tried to deploy these on a dd-wrt platform.

samba4-admin - 4.17.2-1 - installs: net smbcontrol profiles rpcclient dbwrap_tool eventlogadm ldbadd ldbdel ldbedit ldbmodify ldbrename ldbsearch tdbbackup tdbdump tdbrestore tdbtool
Administration tools collection

samba4-client - 4.17.2-1 - installs: cifsdd smbclient smbget
The smbclient program implements a simple ftp-like client for accessing SMB shares

samba4-libs - 4.17.2-1
Samba 4.17.2 libs

samba4-server - 4.17.2-1 - installs: smbd (nmbd) smbpasswd pdbedit testparm (nmblookup) (smbcacls sharesec) (samba samba-tool ntlm_auth samba-gpupdate samba_dnsupdate samba_kcc samba_spnupdate samba_upgradedns samba_downgrade_db)
This provides the basic fileserver service and is the minimum needed to serve file shares.
HINT:
https://fitzcarraldoblog.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/a-correct-method-of-configuring-samba-for-browsing-smb-shares-in-a-home-network/

samba4-utils - 4.17.2-1 - installs: smbstatus smbtree mvxattr smbtar smbcquotas
Utilities collection
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2023 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is still available in DDWRT, I compiled a build with it some time ago but it is slow and bulky so not used in public builds.

My friend is still using/compiling Samba35 as he is not happy with the stability of ksmbd although the stability of ksmbd has improved to a usable level nowadays.

P.S. you are running an old and outdated build current build is 51362

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: