r9000 strip down to connect ttl serial cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use this guide by Netgear to recover your R9000.

https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-do-I-upload-firmware-to-my-NETGEAR-router-using-a-TFTP-client-on-Microsoft-Windows

It should work with R9000 running stock firmware.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it wont except the stock FW flash via TFTP try Nmrpflash, if no go with that, you might require opening her up and connecting a cheap USB to serial lead and follow unbricking tutorial.
Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
I like DDWRT forums.
Posters are helpful and nice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
Edited: I am now in, opened up and found header pins,
from the left:
1.Earth
2.TX
3 RX
Not got time now but will update to a build it would not accepted and hopefully post output tomorrow.

Hello!

How did you open it up? My R9000 probably needs cleaning inside because it runs a little hot.

Like yourself i can´t find any information anywhere on this subject.

Best regards.
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
From memory, all screws are under the foot pads (x4 i think), i also removed the 4 screws holding the underside mesh plate but i don't think this needed removing. Very simply to get into without damaging the case once screws removed.
Good luck

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
Burnett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
From memory, all screws are under the foot pads (x4 i think), i also removed the 4 screws holding the underside mesh plate but i don't think this needed removing. Very simply to get into without damaging the case once screws removed.
Good luck

Thank you!

I should have suspected the screws to be under the foot pads... Now on to cleaning Smile

I connected this thing to my Killawatt meter and saw it consume 14 watts in idle! With dust buildup no wonder it gets hot. My old R7000 gets by with 7 watts idle and runs quite cool.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
The tiny little fan can be upgraded, and I question if it ever spins up early or fast enough so maybe external fans.
Vertical mount is cooler than flat on desk as well, but maybe this can be countered with a laptop cooler or similar.
More airflow is enough and yes vacuum or blow out dust, but other considerations are new thermal pads or paste.
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
In Services > Hardware Monitoring > I set High Temperature to 30 and Normal Temperature to 20 that way it spins up all the time.

Burnett
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I removed the metal cover underneath. This was a perfect place to heatglue a 120mm fan driven off the usb port. Needed to raise the whole router up a bit.

Now i dont have to use the small fan as cold air is sucked silently from the bottom up like a chimney.

Temp went from around 80 degrees c to 35c. Cleaning out dust probably helped too.

Would still like to solve the power sucking though. Do you guys have any suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: