Two Netgear R7000 how to setup Guest WiFi on 2nd

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yabba-Dabba-Do, but you may run into glitches with devices switching between the two VAPs / APs.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Sponsor
Tectonic Plates
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Yabba-Dabba-Do, but you may run into glitches with devices switching between the two VAPs / APs.

Is the potential of glitches specific to Virtual APs or is it general to the practice of sharing the same SSID between two different radios?

In fact I always used different SSID to clearly separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz. Leaving the decision to the human to pick the preferred frequency. Searching the web on this topic gave mixed results, ie. same or separate SSID seems to be acceptable.

FYI, I just tested yesterday by replacing the two separate SSIDs of my home WiFi by a same SSID. Devices at home (phone, tablet, laptops) all connected OK and they tend to choose 5GHz. The these devices are 3, 4, 5 years old. Example: Pixel3, Lenovo T580.

What would you guys recommend? Same SSID or separate SSIDs?

EDIT: Looks like separate SSID gives better control and is preferrable. According to this Quora thread: What are the benefits and disadvantages of using different SSIDs for 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz bands on the same router?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: