D-Link DIR-868L 5GHz missing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
silveria wrote:
Brand new user of dd-wrt, got dir-868l 2nd hand for a steal, flashed factory-to-ddwrt.bin and then dir868a-webflash.bin from 12th of January. Got the same problem - no 5Ghz band. Router came with original 1.07 firmware and is A1 revision. Too many people getting the same problem for this to be a coincidence or all of us doing something wrong.
Would read up if I can get this resolved with the suggestions from here ..
Please try this workaround then let us know if it works for you.
silveria
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
@IONK Should I go back to factory or directly load dir868-webflash.bin (01-20-2015-r25974) from the current latest firmware?

Thanks!
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
silveria wrote:
@IONK Should I go back to factory or directly load dir868-webflash.bin (01-20-2015-r25974) from the current latest firmware?

Thanks!
If you're running DD-WRT v3.0-r51288 std (01/12/23), I suggest to:
  1. flash dir868-webflash.bin (01-20-2015-r25974), auto reboot
  2. check if 5GHz setting is available in r25974, change the Regulatory Domain setting, save - apply - reboot
  3. flash dir868a-webflash.bin (r51288), auto reboot
  4. check if 5GHz is still there after upgrading from r25974 to r51288
  5. Execute "nvram erase && reboot" (via telnet/SSH or command shell under /Diagnostics.asp)

Last edited by IONK on Fri Jan 13, 2023 13:31; edited 1 time in total
silveria
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 13:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
@IONK Did everything until up to step 4 and I now have 5Ghz and device is correctly showing as 868l. With that said I think I would skip step#5 as all is correct on my end, right?
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
silveria wrote:
@IONK Did everything until up to step 4 and I now have 5Ghz and device is correctly showing as 868l.
Shocked
silveria wrote:
With that said I think I would skip step#5 as all is correct on my end, right?
the golden rule is to nvram erase && reboot after a big jump in firmware version. From my experience, 5GHz is still available after nvram erase && reboot.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
@IONK Ok I've executed nvram erase from the Diagnostics cmd tab in Administration and rebooted. Still has 5 Ghz and shows 868L so huge success! Thanks for your help!

P.S. Now let's try what I flashed dd-wrt for - dlna server. The one from the original dlink firmware was SLOW as f**k and useless. Let's hope this one is better.

Regards
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
silveria wrote:
@IONK Ok I've executed nvram erase from the Diagnostics cmd tab in Administration and rebooted. Still has 5 Ghz and shows 868L so huge success! Thanks for your help!

P.S. Now let's try what I flashed dd-wrt for - dlna server. The one from the original dlink firmware was SLOW as f**k and useless. Let's hope this one is better.

Regards
Sorry I meant executing "nvram erase && reboot", not "nvram erase" then manually click reboot button.
I've just edited my prev-previous post.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
@IONK Isn't the final result basically the same? Let me know if not and I would execute the full cmd.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
silveria wrote:
@IONK Isn't the final result basically the same? Let me know if not and I would execute the full cmd.
The established procedure is "nvram erase && reboot" as mentioned by many others. I'm not qualified to give a derived procedure. You'll need to start a new topic to ask about this.
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 16:52    Post subject: same issues on rev.b device Reply with quote
I stumbled across this forumthread duo to the fact that i'm experiencing the same issues on a dir-868l rev.b device.

What i've tried:
Go back to stock fw, and flash a recent fw. This didnt solve the modelnumber issue.

Then i did as suggested, i've flashed the webflash from 25974 ( i wasnt sure if this would work for a rev.b device, but it didnt brick the router). This gave me back the "dir-868l" model number on the ddwrt info page.

Then i flashed 53339. To my surprise, not only was my dir-868l modelnumber gone from the status page, it now says model "broadcom northstar" Rolling Eyes

Then i flashed 51288 webflash, this also results in "broadcom northstar" model information. and i'm also constantly erasing the nvram too.

Then i went back to 25974, and that again gave me back the dir-868l model number, even after an nvram erase.

So then i tried 51288 again, this gave me again the "broadcom northstar" model number. Also , with every firmware i try, except 25974, at least my lan mac is faulty.

So i spend a couple of hours wit this mess. I'm unsure how to proceed from this point on.

And another thing: after an nvram erase, the page initial webpade from ddwrt that wants you to enter a password appears. after entering these and applying, the apply.cgi page loads but the screen stays black. This is consisten through most recent builds.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use no extensions/add-ons/password managers and incognito/private browsing mode. The only way to fix router model detection on these is to have a full serial dump with board information from the CFE/nvram, etc.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
dipswitch
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Use no extensions/add-ons/password managers and incognito/private browsing mode. The only way to fix router model detection on these is to have a full serial dump with board information from the CFE/nvram, etc.

I don't understand. I did as @IONK suggested, which gave @silveria a good result. What makes my case different then theirs?

With a full serial dump, do you mean that this is neccesary for all dir-868l b1 devices? Or you do mean that this a one time thing that needs to be done. And this is what makes it confusing for me, because 25974 detects the dir-868l b1 fine.
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
dipswitch wrote:
dale_gribble39 wrote:

I don't understand. I did as @IONK suggested, which gave @silveria a good result. What makes my case different then theirs?

With a full serial dump, do you mean that this is neccesary for all dir-868l b1 devices? Or you do mean that this a one time thing that needs to be done. And this is what makes it confusing for me, because 25974 detects the dir-868l b1 fine.
It can be because the underlying issue is different although the behaviour "missing 5GHz" is the same.
In your case, the hardware version is different, and there are dedicated firmwares for reva/revb/revc since some time between 2015 and 2023, so probably the devs found out that there were some significant difference between reva/revb/revc and decided to split (just my wild guess).
Also, just to confirm, before flashing ddwrt, 5GHz worked fine on stock D-Link firmware, is it correct? You flashed revb firmware onto your revb router, is it correct? When the model was incorrect, was 5GHz working? Have you tried any other firmware (OpenWrt/Tomato/Merlin...)?
Have you seen any other user reported a working 868l revb here? You can PM them and pray that there's a reply.

I have a few other 868l reva that show 880L in the status page, but I'm not sure it's the hardware issue or because I accidentally did something wrong, now they can't change back to 868L no matter how many times I "nvram erase && reboot", but I just live with it since there seems to be no noticeable malfunction.

Regarding the apply password thing, have you tried other web browsers?
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Pardon the tone, but the issue doesn't have a thing to do with the webUI, the issue is with Internet browsing.
blkt wrote:
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox-portable-legacy-78 (78.14.0)
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/firefox-portable-esr (91.1.0)
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/#product-desktop-esr (installers)

https://www.waterfox.net/download/ (Latest 78.x installers) (Classic Portable 56.x w/ internal updater)
https://www.palemoon.org/ (Portable versions)

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, just to confirm, before flashing ddwrt, 5GHz worked fine on stock D-Link firmware, is it correct?

Yes, this is correct.
Quote:
You flashed revb firmware onto your revb router, is it correct?

Yes, this is correct.
Quote:
When the model was incorrect, was 5GHz working?

I'm not entirely sure.
Quote:
Have you tried any other firmware (OpenWrt/Tomato/Merlin...)?

No i haven't
Quote:
Have you seen any other user reported a working 868l revb here?

No i haven't. But is is impossible to read hundreds of pages of forumposts just to find out.

So about that full serial dump. Do you still think this would be the sole remedy to get this device working once and forever? Would i be able to make such a dump? Would anything else be needed?[/quote]
IONK
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
dipswitch wrote:
So about that full serial dump. Do you still think this would be the sole remedy to get this device working once and forever?
I think serial dump is the proper way to get into the heart of this problem, but whether the problem can be identified & solved is uncertain: some experts around here can point out certain abnormally in the serial dump if such thing is available in the serial dump, but if there's nothing in the serial dump then the devs will need to get involved: if the devs have a dlink 868l revb and spare time then things can move fast, but if not then the devs will probably give you a special build that has some possible fix or just prints out more debugging info, and ask you to load it into your 868l revb and get your feedback and serial dump again, and this kind of iteration is very inefficient and not much beneficial to the major of the community, as 868l revb is kind of rare around here.
dipswitch wrote:
Would i be able to make such a dump? Would anything else be needed?
You'll need to physically open up your 868l revb, locate & connect the UART pins of 868l revb to a USB to UART converter which is plugged into your PC, then open a serial terminal software on your PC and capture all debug info that the 868l revb sends out while booting up. Other than the hardware/software required during this process, you'll need a certain amount of time and patience depending on how much you're familiar with UART.
Other options:
- Try OpenWrt & Tomato (if supported)
- Sell/give away this 868l revb, get another recommended router https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329577

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: