New Build - 01/06/2023 - r51184

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
I am not a fan of hard coding either.

As a test can you revert to the former non working setup e.g. with the domain names in NTP?
Check that you indeed do not get the correct time after reboot and then in Administration/Commands Save Firewall add this:
Code:
ip6tables -I OUTPUT -j ACCEPT

Reboot and see if you now get the correct time

I do not have much time the coming days to get to the bottom as i need to setup a similar test setup but I will report later on this

Thanks egc. That worked.

Linksys WRT1900AC
DD-WRT v3.0 STD
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for confirming.

The Ipv6 firewall Committee has been notified, problem will be solved in next build.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
TedCheeze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2023 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Mile-Lile & EGC

Well now that I have had a bunch of time to play with four bricked routers. (ASUS RT-AC66U, Netgear R8000, and two WRT1900ACv1's)
FYI - The ASUS & NETGEAR seem to be nothing more than paper weights now. What ever....
Performed serial recovery on the two WRT-1900ACv1's giving me three total.

Abbreviate overview: I could not get R51184 to work until I installed the OEM firmware on both partitions. Then found I could only install it on partition #2. Overwrote OEM with OpenWRT then overwrote OpenWRT with another DD-WRT version.
Then after installing R51184 I found SSH works just fine WITHOUT changing any settings in Putty or WinSCP.
----------------

In this post - https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

Quote:
*Please pay close attention to this:

The factory to dd-wrt is for installing DD-WRT from the Linksys GUI. This file will be used under two circumstances.
1. You are installing DD-WRT for the first time.
2. You have switched back to opposite partition and you have the Linksys Stock Firmware on that partition.

The dd-wrt webflash is for upgrading a current DD-WRT installation. This file will result in the following circumstances.
1. A new version of DD-WRT will be installed on the opposite & inactive partition.
2. The previous DD-WRT version will be left on what is now the inactive partition (after reboot).
3. All settings and configuration will be kept and applied to new version (unless a reset is selected in Firmware Upgrade Sub-Tab).

Note: It’s only one file per Install / Upgrade. If you use the ‘factory to dd-wrt’ file followed by the ‘dd-wrt webflash’ file you will have installed the same version of DD-WRT on BOTH partitions and overwritten the Linksys OEM Firmware.

I'm finding what is discussed in the quote above is not the behavior I am observing in my three WRT-1900ACv1's.

- I installed most recent Linksys OEM F/W on partition #1
- I then used the OEM F/W to install a previous version of OEM onto Partition #2. So I could tell them apart.
- I was able to switch back and forth between the two installs.
- I tried installing R51184 onto partition #1 using the OEM Firmware on Partition #2. Failed four times.
- I used the OEM on Partition #1 to install 'factory-to-ddwrt.bin' for r51184 on Partition #2 with no issues.
- executed 'ubootenv set boot_part 1' then installed WEBFLASH update for R51184 with no issues.
- I then wanted to install R50841 on partition #1 then restore a working profile until I completed the manual reconfig for R51184, but I was not able to install it over the OEM firmware. I tried 4 times each with the factory-to-ddwrt and webflash files. After each update the router rebooted R51184 on partition #2. I tried selecting 'Reset to Factoty default' options, but R51184 would restart unchanged.
- I also found that using 'ubootenv set boot_part 1 &&reboot' will no longer switch partitions. I had to use the manual partition switch method using the power switch after which I found the OEM Firmware was still intact.
- Now I tried installing an earlier version(R44467) of dd-wrt to partition #1. I had no issues.
- I reinstalled the OEM firmware then tried something really goofy.
- I switched back to the R51184 and tried to install OPENWRT over the Linksys OEM F/W. I had no issues.
- I switched back to dd-wrt and tried to install R50841 over the top of OPENWRT. No problem.
- Now I have two different dd-wrt installs.
- Now I can now use 'ubootenv set boot_part {1,2} && reboot' to switch between partitions again.

So does this mean sometime after R44467 a change was made to prevent over writing the OEM firmware??
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: