Same or different SSID for APs and/or 2.4/5 GHz?

belegdol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:32    Post subject: Same or different SSID for APs and/or 2.4/5 GHz? Reply with quote
Hello,

in our house we have the Vodafone Station (and ISP provided router/modem/AP) on the ground floor and a Netgear R6300v1 running ddwrt on top floor, with one floor in between. Right now I have a different SSID set for each of the devices and each of the network frequencies. It works reasonably well, but the devices do not really switch from one device to the other.
Are clients more eager to roam within one SSID? I did not have great experience re-using SSIDs in the past but maybe this has improved in the meantime. What is the current best practice regarding SSIDs?
Sponsor
mwbuss8
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2023 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
QCA devices have received features to help with roaming, but I haven't used broadcom in a while, so I'm not sure what's there in the settings. Since only one of your devices has DD-WRT, that would only help with roaming away from that one anyway. Something that may help is adjusting your transmit power. DD-WRT allows fine adjustment with dBm or mA, but the ISP modem/router may have a basic low/medium/high transmit power setting or something. The highest setting isn't always best. Without additional features on your routers, clients control when/how they roam, and the radios are typically much weaker. If they still have a strong enough signal from a router they may stick, even if they don't have the transmit power themselves to effectively communicate.
OpenMediaVault server for tailscale, SMB, & Emby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: