R9000 can't enable Wifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
shmerl wrote:
Alozaros wrote:
hmmm you must have tried an older build ... try the new builds last build is 50963 on the last build the unit should boot even without radios...

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/

do not use the voxel firmware...

finally R9000 are know for bad heat-sink design and heating issues....burned radios too..
once you flash to DDWRT than access your router via cable on 192.168.1.1

I tried latest DD-WRT (more details in this thread).

I simply didn't see any radios besides 802.11ad listed there.

It boots fine, but the main issue that WiFi can't be even enabled.

simple answer is...those are burned...if radios under stock firmware are not working too..those will not work on any firmware....
you can always use an wifi AP plugged in to one of its ports

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Sponsor
shmerl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
simple answer is...those are burned...if radios under stock firmware are not working too..those will not work on any firmware....

Yeah, I'd rather avoid such convoluted set ups since I wasn't even planning to use it as a primary router, but as an AP itself for the main purpose that it has an SFP+ port. Using an extra AP will defeat the purpose.

Above post suggested it could be some kind of bug, not necessarily burned hardware. But it seems too complicated to fix. I'll try to replace it then (or refund otherwise).
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
shmerl wrote:
Alozaros wrote:

Yeah, I'd rather avoid such convoluted set ups since I wasn't even planning to use it as a primary router, but as an AP itself for the main purpose that it has an SFP+ port. Using an extra AP will defeat the purpose.

Above post suggested it could be some kind of bug, not necessarily burned hardware. But it seems too complicated to fix. I'll try to replace it then (or refund otherwise).

nope you are blinded with hope...and hope is not always your best friend...better get your cahs back or replace this unit...
your best bet for DDWRT supported WAP or router is second hand R7800...as it has a great radio units as well solid hardware and DDWRT support...and its second hand price on ebay is decent...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
shmerl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
nope you are blinded with hope...and hope is not always your best friend...better get your cahs back or replace this unit...
your best bet for DDWRT supported WAP or router is second hand R7800...as it has a great radio units as well solid hardware and DDWRT support...and its second hand price on ebay is decent...

Yeah, I'm returning it. I already have a working set up with DD-WRT, the reason I wanted that one is becasue of SFP+, so I can as well wait until some 802.11ax options will become usable.

On a side note, why some routers like Qualcomm based ones Asus RT-AX89X not supported yet? I.e. what exactly is the difficulty there? They don't rely on upstream Linux drivers for some of the hardware?
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
The RT-AX89X has a first generation IPQ8078, and the first generation Qualcomm AX chipsets lack features like OFDMA uplink and ath11k support.

As far as I know there is currently no opensource driver / firmware that supports first gen IPQ807x chipsets.
Currently only the second gen chipsets are supported which are marked with an A (IPQ807xA).

The problem also exists with the Netgear RAX 120 ...
There are two hardware revisions of the RAX120 one with IPQ8072 and one with IPQ8072A and only the new processor with the IPQ8072A chipset is supported.

In addition, the routers are sometimes difficult to flash or can only be booted via TFTP or USB.
The processor unfortunately has numerous security measures and if the fuses are burned during production at the factory then the qualcomm bootloader only accepts signed, encrypted firmware etc.
shmerl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
The RT-AX89X has a first generation IPQ8078, and the first generation Qualcomm AX chipsets lack features like OFDMA uplink and ath11k support.

As far as I know there is currently no opensource driver / firmware that supports first gen IPQ807x chipsets.
Currently only the second gen chipsets are supported which are marked with an A (IPQ807xA).

I see. So it's good just to wait until more routers that can use ath11k will surface?

ho1Aetoo wrote:

In addition, the routers are sometimes difficult to flash or can only be booted via TFTP or USB.
The processor unfortunately has numerous security measures and if the fuses are burned during production at the factory then the qualcomm bootloader only accepts signed, encrypted firmware etc.

That is very annoying indeed. Is that something that's common for certain manufacturers like Asus and others, or it's random and can happen or not depending on the model?
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
shmerl wrote:
That is very annoying indeed. Is that something that's common for certain manufacturers like Asus and others, or it's random and can happen or not depending on the model?

nope, its more like chipset (SoC) based, than the manufacturers like Asus and "others"...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
shmerl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
nope, its more like chipset (SoC) based, than the manufacturers like Asus and "others"...

So Qualcomm provides upstream kernel driver but messes up the SoC with locked firmware? Why can't Intel make SoCs for routers.
shmerl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
There are two hardware revisions of the RAX120 one with IPQ8072 and one with IPQ8072A and only the new processor with the IPQ8072A chipset is supported.

How does this work exactly? Qualcomm release upstream code in ath11k for one but not for another? What would be the reason for that?
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 22:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath11k

Code:
Supported Devices
IPQ8074 hw2.0 (v5.6)
IPQ6018 hw1.0 (v5.10)
QCA6390 hw2.0 (v5.10)
QCN9074 hw1.0 (v5.14)
WCN6855 hw2.0 (v5.17)
WCN6855 hw2.1 (v5.17)

As far as I know, the first chip generation lacks features like OFDMA support for uploading.

You'll have to ask Qualcomm, I only know that the first chip generation is not supported.

maybe the first generation has some other hardware design flaws Wink
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: