How to set up RTSP with NetGear R7000 NAS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 19:14    Post subject: How to set up RTSP with NetGear R7000 NAS? Reply with quote
I plugged in a USB device to my NetGear R7000 running DD-WRT v3.0-r46733 std (05/21/21). I configured NAS on the Services -> NAS tab and have a working SMB share on the router that I can reach from my computers based on the tutorial at https://proprivacy.com/router/guides/use-dd-wrt-router-nas-storage

I would like to cause my RTSP capable security camera to record to this NAS, but the manufacturer instructions say "The RTSP function only works with NAS that supports the RTSP protocol." While I enabled SAMBA access for the user account I created, I see no option to enable RTSP. I did NOT enable ftp. What do I need to do to enable this NAS to support RTSP.

Thanks
Sponsor
hellf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
One could use motion or ffmpeg via entware to grab RTSP streams, but this is a long journey.
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
In particular, I am referring to this article from my camera manufacturer:

https://support.eufy.com/s/article/Using-NAS-Storage-Step-by-Step

They open by saying

Quote:
By enabling RTSP (Real-Time Streaming Protocol) on specific Indoor Cam/eufyCam series, the system will save all its recorded videos to your compatible NAS (Network-attached Storage).

The RTSP function only works with NAS that supports the RTSP protocol. In this FAQ, we will be using Synology NAS as an example.
I am hoping there is a reasonably simple way to configure DD-WRT to support the storage of these videos into my existing DD-WRT based NAS. I do not have and do not want to buy the synology that they recommend.
Hapi12021
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
The “NAS” functionality of routers is pretty lousy and slow, as it’s CPU-bound without DMA USB controllers and small or non-existent caches in the CPUs / memory bottlenecks.

This isn’t a great suggestion for this board, but you should look to something like a Synology NAS with the Surveillance Station configuration, instead.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Synology or QNAP NAS would be a better option. How many IP cameras are you wanting to store video footage for? Is cloud backup/storage not an option?

https://support.eufy.com/s/article/Storage-Methods-Compatibility-for-eufySecurity-Device

https://support.eufy.com/s/article/Three-Storage-Methods-for-eufy-Cam-2-2C-2-Pro-2C-Pro

https://support.eufy.com/s/article/Three-Storage-Methods-for-Original-eufyCam-and-eufyCam-E

https://support.eufy.com/s/article/Introducing-Cloud-Storage

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
This was more of an experiment for 1 or 2 cameras than anything, wondering if I could try out their RTSP mode with a simple DD-WRT based NAS.
hellf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sure, I have this in my crontab:

*/10 * * * * ffmpeg -t 00:10:00 -i rtsp://[URL] -c copy /jffs/$(date '+%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S').mkv
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
what happens when it runs out of storage space?
Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
tkoyn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
hellf wrote:
Sure, I have this in my crontab:

*/10 * * * * ffmpeg -t 00:10:00 -i rtsp://[URL] -c copy /jffs/$(date '+%Y-%m-%d_%H%M%S').mkv

foz111 wrote:
what happens when it runs out of storage space?

Thank you. However, what I want is for the Eufy camera to store its motion detection recordings into the NAS, not for it to constantly record.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Isn't this an option for the HomeBase appliance? Or are the cameras in question not compatible with HomeBase?
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: