R9000 - tri band & bad blocks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 21:02    Post subject: R9000 - tri band & bad blocks Reply with quote
I have R7800's which are fine and work in a mesh, wlan0 for mesh, everything else on a VAP on wlan 1.x

I see the R9000 is tri band. Does that mean you can mesh of wlan0 (11ad), then VAP on wlan1 (11ac) and VAP on wlan2 (11g) ?

If so, does anyone know there are potential known bad blocks on the devices - like there are on the R7800's ?
Sponsor
matjazk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
The ad range is very small, about a meter, so you will need to have a pretty dense mesh of R9000's.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe more than a meter and depends heavily on LOS:

https://www.60ghz-wireless.com/60ghz-technology/60ghz-wireless-the-ieee-802-11ad-standard/

Of course, Ubiquiti has 60GHz wireless bridges that have a much longer range (a couple of examples):

https://store.ui.com/products/ubb-us

https://store.ui.com/collections/operator-airfiber/products/af60-us

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
AD band still not that useful and more looks like marketing trick leftover...
no idea how many clients for it too... but yep if its working as a bridge mode(quite low range),its just another option for WDS or wifi bridge/client mode... but overall AD is a gonner...as AX is now on the marketing move...

bad block's ... i've seen all those routers R7800 / XR500 as well R9000 / XR 700 with bad blocks reports..so, when you get them, its a bit of a Russian roulette ..as some of them come with bad blocks by default and their stock firmware fits just about right...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
poyntzj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the comments folks.
My R7800's are OK at the moment, but was thinking of how to get clients onto 5 and 2.4g in a mesh and knew these say "Tri".

Seen a couple lof R9000's around at a decent price which was a), tempting, b) worrying incase there are bad blocks.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
poyntzj wrote:
thanks for the comments folks.
My R7800's are OK at the moment, but was thinking of how to get clients onto 5 and 2.4g in a mesh and knew these say "Tri".

Seen a couple lof R9000's around at a decent price which was a), tempting, b) worrying incase there are bad blocks.

To make it better... bad blocks are 'mostly' dangerous for the initial DDWRT flash from stock...where later on the new builds upgrade.bin has a bad blocks check and it will skip those...
if im not wrong.. that's why some bad blocks are fine as far as you can fit the initial flash..
i keep buying second hand R7800 with bad block, but fully DDWRT flashible...
not long ago i had one more second hand R9000 which i flashed and the guy who owned it, didn't like the DDWRT GUI - so we moved back to stock, where R9000 had a bad blocks too, as every NAND memory could have... so the window to get a BAD router is very small it must have those bad blocks on the edge of the DDWRT firmware size.... Wink

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
"where later on the new builds upgrade.bin has a bad blocks check and it will skip those"

After reading this i grabbed my old r9000 that would only take a stock to Kong DD-WRT build and wouldn't upgrade further, last time i tried upgrading from the kong build it would always brick it but would go back to stock via serial. Anyway confirming i have just upgraded to r50671 via cli.
Radios still not running but that's another story.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
"where later on the new builds upgrade.bin has a bad blocks check and it will skip those"

After reading this i grabbed my old r9000 that would only take a stock to Kong DD-WRT build and wouldn't upgrade further, last time i tried upgrading from the kong build it would always brick it but would go back to stock via serial. Anyway confirming i have just upgraded to r50671 via cli.
Radios still not running but that's another story.

Cool Very Happy Cool

if R9000 is operational with no radios...but the last build 50671...you can add a WAP with ease Razz

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
bad block's ... i've seen all those routers R7800 / XR500 as well R9000 / XR 700 with bad blocks reports..so, when you get them, its a bit of a Russian roulette ..as some of them come with bad blocks by default and their stock firmware fits just about right...

The only problem with these is the active antennas and the radio chips dying; please show us where these reports of bad blocks are.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=netgear+r9000+bad+blocks

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=netgear+xr700+bad+blocks

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if it was a bad block issue with this r9000 or BS has stopped fw looking for radios up during boot, but this r9000 wouldn't take newer fw some time ago but now it does! Laughing

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328048&highlight=

My 2.4Ghz does not broadcast any SSID (doesn't show the 2.4Ghz next to wlan1 in ui even) Network mode only shows mixed or disable, The 5.0Ghz broadcasts but unable to connect just fails regardless of security settings. I have just tried a VAP on 5.0Ghz but sadly still fails to connect same issue as 5.0. To be honest not to bothered about wireless i have mesh BT system, just need to sort out 1 van for my I-o-T network and i can replace my r7800 if it continues to work as gateway router.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am not a software engineer by any stretch of imagination. However, Netgear R9000 has some peculiarities that are not found in other Netgear products that came across my desk, namely R6220, R7000, R7500, RBK50, R7800, XR500 and R8500.

Unlike those routers, R9000 running DDWRT needs a longer wait time to complete changes made to its logical functions. And this may result in it being 'out of sync', at times, with the off-then-on pressing of power button to force a reboot. This peculiarity sometimes results in unexplained R9000's behaviors such as 'half-bricked' when power button is pressed, before R9000 completes it changes. I refer to this symptom as a voodoo of R9000.

Workaround: i) Use GUI to reboot R9000 after changes. ii) Keep an eye on the four indicator lights (starting from left) to signal that R9000 is ready. (If not making changes, especially CLI, pressing the power on/off button works fine).

This is very much the trick to 'tame' Netgear R9000.

Navigation

Jump to: