New Build - 11/02/2022 - r50786

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
asavage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Dale: the web UI's hostname input field 99 char limit is a separate issue, which I raised a couple of years back when I first ran into it. It's only a UI issue, and as a workaround as I was able to poke the values into the conf via nvram commands. As I would rarely need to update those values, that was OK with me, but I noted it as a UI error that others might run into.

Sure, it's possible that dd-wrt's inadyn conf implementation may vary from the documentation I've found or been provided. In that case, I may as well say, "God's will" and call it a day, because if docs don't reflect reality, it may as well be a religion based on faith. IOW, it's a waste of time for someone in my position to devote any time to trying to use or fix things. I just am not going to go read the source, I'm not at that skill level anymore, and this is not mission-critical for me; other options are available.

I can only use functional tools I can find or make; non-functional tools (docs that don't reflect reality) are sort of worse than useless. I understand the limitations of volunteer groups and nobody wants to update docs.

I can document problems I find, like this one, but I can't reasonably speculate to the cause and any speculation is worthless anyway. I can say that it doesn't work (for me) and show my work.

Joker: thanks for that expansion. I appreciate the try.

R7800 x2
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hostname examples provided in the readme are comma separated, also hostname syntax may differ by provider.
asavage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good catch on the comma separators, thanks!
Code:
hostname = "{ site1.dyndns.org,  site2.dyndns.org,  site3.dyndns.org }"

No change to behavior, though Sad . Results on the attached screenshot.

I've specified DynDNS for the Enable Service preset for DDNS provider. In one of the examples for Custom at the link you provided, they show a Custom example using dyn.com (pretending that the DynDNS preset doesn't exist) and I don't see a variance from my inadyn.conf, other than the possibly extraneous quotes that we're inserting.

R7800 x2
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
You dont need to add quotes in UI (the UI already quotes the entries), only in CLI because its UNIX-like/Linux.

I dont know how DD-WRT is handling the curly brackets however. Will need to test this out today after the recent changes.

Also please do not start stop inadyn via CLI (unless you use the correct syntax to read the correct config file inadyn --check-config -f /tmp/ddns/inadyn.conf), else from drop down select disabled and click apply to stop service, the select the correct provider, setup and click apply to start service.

also good news https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/50827 was merged after all, some hiccup it appears with the merge, so next build (other issues not withstanding) will support up to 255 characters in hostname.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)

Last edited by the-joker on Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:03; edited 3 times in total
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
From CLI:
Code:
service ddns restart

To restart ddns/inadyn

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Multiple host should work like this....
However, it does not work at the moment because the GUI automatically quotes the hostname and without quotes no special characters can be parsed

Code:
hostname = {site1.dyndns.org, site2.dyndns.org, site3.dyndns.org}

by the way we can't test it properly because dyndns requires a credit card and i don't give anyone my credit card details for a 7 day trial version
Smile
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/50835 will take care of that. I will test this out soon as I have a build to test.

Also our implementation for multiple hosts will not require comma separated hostname entries on the next public build (so it will deviate from the inadyn docs) it will be space separated only and the comma is generated on the fly.

And a bug that bushant reported with 10 minute updates will be addressed.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

asavage
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all this. I was not adding any quotes; they came from the UI :/

I will wait for a newer public version that incorporates 50827 (to allow the UI to accept more than 99 chars for hostnames) and 50835 (better parsing of hostname input field).

R7800 x2
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
r50841 is out now with latest fixes. Feel free to install and report on appropriate build thread.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: