VPN that allows location change to use with dd-wrt

TigOleBittyz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 20:38    Post subject: VPN that allows location change to use with dd-wrt Reply with quote
SO I went throught the hassle of learning dd-wrt(not bad) and setting up a cloud server and loaded wire guard on it(pretty bad lol). Well it doesn't work how I was thinking, I need to be able to change my location to say "Brazil". Does openvpn do this before I go through the hassle of setting that up? Or what are my options to achieve this? I have a VPN from ExpressVPN but it will only run wireless and not Ethernet, which I want direct wired for hooking to the Xbox.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wonder how many people are still pissed off that Bastard sold out the technology of GameSpy3D/Arcade. Hopefully, Tetsuo, Breadtooth, and all the other folks behind the little empire that started out in Costa Mesa, CA as Critical Mass Communications are getting paid as well as Bastard is out of that deal.

Anyway, IRT your question, using a VPN provider that supports Wireguard (or OpenVPN) with multiple locations to choose from should be doable in current releases of DD-WRT. Setting up your own single endpoint is not an ideal solution if you wish to change locations often.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
TigOleBittyz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gamespy lol that rings a bell from way back.

Any suggestions on a vpn? Research said express vpn was nice and fast for gaming but unfortunately doesn’t support WireGuard. Guess I’ll start my search again tomorrow and see what I can find out.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
airvpn.org or mullvad.net. I would have included azirevpn.com, but they recently jacked up their prices to the highest I've heard of for any vpn service. All three support wireguard.

Of these AirVPN offers the most configurability if you're a tinkerer. If you want one that also has an app super easy to get going on a phone, it's hard to top mullvad. Both have plenty of dd-wrt users.

These are independent operations. The big names that advertise everywhere, pay reviewers to rate them tops, and brag to the ignoscenti about having zillions of servers (often virtual) are in many cases part of just a few VPN corporate families, some with slightly sketchy ownership. AirVPN does not advertise. Mullvad's network is used by Mozilla for "their" VPN and gets lots of exposure that way.

IIRC Mullvad has a fixed monthly charge of $5 or €5. AirVPN is likely to offer a sale late in the year [edit: "Black Friday Sale" begins today 18 Nov 2022], so with them the optimal strategy is get a short subscription to get everything working and see how you like it and then extend during the sale.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.

Last edited by SurprisedItWorks on Fri Nov 18, 2022 15:08; edited 1 time in total
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
using pia but not sure if they are still 'private'
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
portsup wrote:
using pia but not sure if they are still 'private'

well if you can prove opposite, you can enter their well paid pia-bug-bounty program...
https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/blog/pia-bug-bounty/

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a lifetime subscription at Keepsolid they support WireGuard and OpenVPN on the router but no port forwarding. I paid $30
Servers are sometimes overloaded and your WireGuard config is deleted if you do not use it for some time so you get what you pay for.

I also have Mullvad, much better but pricey.

Proton has free accounts which work well for OpenVPN, for WireGuard they are only valid for one day, but you can easily make another one the next day Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Proton has free accounts which work well for OpenVPN, for WireGuard they are only valid for one day, but you can easily make another one the next day Smile

I made the free account a couple months ago, used it for a couple weeks then reverted back to OVPN.
I just now switched back to the original proton free WG and it is still working.
At some point I had hit the "Extend" button on the setup page.
Maybe that is why.
Maybe I am just lucky.

EDIT: Never been lucky.
I also have Protonmail acct so maybe that is why.

Before asking for help - Read the forum guidelines AND Upgrade DD-WRT!
Adblock by eibgrad (1.1M blocked) + Blocklist Collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: