No WiFi on ASUS WL-520GU

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
dav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 17:47    Post subject: No WiFi on ASUS WL-520GU Reply with quote
I had this working not that long ago but I can't seem to get the WiFi to work any more with the latest builds. I can't remember exactly but I seem to remember having to manually install the wifi driver or something.

Currently testing:
ASUS WL-520GU
Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r50671 mini-usb-ftp (10/26/22)
dd-wrt.v24_usb_generic.bin

I've tried various different older versions. No luck finding something that works other than revert to stock ASUS firmware. Erase nvram, etc makes no difference.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Attached serial log. You can see the wl "No device" errors.

Any ideas?

wl520gu.txt
 Description:
Serial log

Download
 Filename:  wl520gu.txt
 Filesize:  14.81 KB
 Downloaded:  40 Time(s)

Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
As old as this device is, it could be hardware failure or failing power adapter. I can't find anything about the wifi issues, unless you tinkered with OpenWRT on this device at any point?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_WL-520GU

https://infodepot.fandom.com/wiki/Asus_WL-520gU

https://openwrt.org/toh/asus/wl-520gu

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
dav
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I forgot to mention that I have already tried different power supplies and I know all the guides (I'm an OpenWRT developer). This device has never had OpenWRT on it.

I think I mentioned the stock ASUS firmware wifi DOES work so no hardware is broken AFAIK.

This is so frustrating but I made progress. I just flashed back to stock ASUS firmware once again. Didn't really do anything because the nvram was messed up but the wifi was working. Then flashed back to the latest DD-WRT and now the wifi works. I have no idea what is going on. I had already tried this once before including wiping nvram and everything else I could think of.

So it's working for now but I have no idea why it broke or why it started working. :/

Edit:
I was just thinking. I wonder if there is a radio on/off switch in the stock firmware possibly triggered by a button and this setting is not in the nvram (maybe kernel parameter or something?).
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried the good old k2.4 14929-std?
I have had one of those routers running with this for years without issues.
If an old build works, you can try to find in which year maybe the driver got broken, and report back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: