Suggestions on buying a new device

ted987654321
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 23:46    Post subject: Suggestions on buying a new device Reply with quote
I need advice on what router and build I should buy to help manage my household. I'm thinking about buying a pre-flashed model from https://www.flashrouters.com/
I need a family friendly device.

I want a device that can have complex schedules of what sites and services are allowed at specific times for specific devices.
I want the ability to provide a white list of approved sites and services for one device, and also have the freedom to have a blacklist for a separate device.

I have kids of varying ages and my 11 year old has been very clever at hiding devices and services from me. Including buying old cell phones from yard sales and adding it to my network to bypass parental controls and using VPNs to talk on adult Discord servers.

I want to be able to restrict network traffic such as Snapchat, or WhatsApp on specific devices. Don't want to punish an entire household because one kid was irresponsible.

I would also like to limit the scope of casting services such as YouTube cast and Roku remote app. Would it be possible to limit scope of what TV's the Roku app can see from a phone? For example I want to be able to control my Roku TV with my phone. I want my kid to control his Roku TV with his phone, but I don't want my kid to control my TV or even see it on the network. Would rather have limited scope for what Roku TV's they can even access.

I know this sounds like a lot.
I am software engineer, but my skill set is in C firmware development along with LabVIEW Real Time/FPGA programming.
I know a little about networking, but I really need a simple interface for configuring restrictions.

I want to protect my family, but I don't want to turn my free time into a fulltime network administrator.

Regards,
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have left out important information such as the speed of your Internet Connection.

I would not bought any of the routers as Flashrouters. Forget all AX models.

I am very happy with my Netgear R7800/XR500.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7800/XR500 ----R7800 preferred, its almost the same unit as XR500, with a bit less flash ram, but smaller, cooler and sexier Razz
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Sat Oct 29, 2022 18:09; edited 2 times in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7800 has 128MB flash, XR450/500 have 256MB; all have 512MB RAM.

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_R7800

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_XR450

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/Netgear_XR500

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
ted987654321 wrote:
I want to protect my family, but I don't want to turn my free time into a fulltime network administrator.

For a start, i'm lucky that my kids are grown-ups but i do have a lot of sympathy for parents with kids of teen-ages nowadays. Like your 11YO.

If i understood it right, your concerns of using the lowest common denominator on the router would make it a catwalk for him. Conversely, making it too restrictive will make the rest of family suffer. So, my suggestion would be to treat the 11YO as a client of your network in the category of 'high-risk, unique and different' from the rest of the family. Sounds discrimination Very Happy But it's exactly what i mean.

By separating his needs from the rest, you have a better chance of managing it successfully with less complexity and with less of your free time devoted to solving it.

So, conceptually, it points to a 'Dual-Router solution'. The main router (R1) is for the family. A second router (R2) is configured for controls of the needs of the 11YO. This allows you to setup appropriate firewalls on R2, while leaving the rest of family happy on R1. One router setup would likely require more of your free time in solutions involving splitting hairs. So to speak. But it can be done.

The dual-router setup is what i have at home. Although for my testing of various IT gears and scenarios, the arrangement allows me to work as freely as i need to do, without affecting anyone using the Net in the family.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the "dual router" solution. And add a Pinwheel or other recommended phone. Slightly extreme, but this company is on top of providing a solution for today's kids.

https://www.bark.us/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ted987654321
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 23:53    Post subject: Thank you for the responses Reply with quote
Thank you so much for spending the time to answer my post.

The dual router configuration idea sounds like the best idea.
I would have never thought about doing that.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Figured I would also ask this question. But depending on how well you raise and treat your kid would depend on where you go when your old.

And if its a retirement home, exactly how soon do you want your kid to send you to a retirement home when hes all grown up and your old?

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
Figured I would also ask this question. But depending on how well you raise and treat your kid would depend on where you go when your old.

And if its a retirement home, exactly how soon do you want your kid to send you to a retirement home when hes all grown up and your old?

While your question is not technical, your 'nom de plume' kinda explains its context. Very Happy

Now, if it were me with teenagers today, i and my wife would definitely sit down and explain to him that what is acceptable and what's not for a start. Just as any car driver (using a metaphor) cannot exceed the speed limit on the road because of safety required for people other than the driver himself. In other words, freedom is not an entitlement but a right. And for a right to be enjoyed, one needs to be aware of one's obligations.

Let me use another analogy.

Your freedom is afforded to you (and other people in your country) not because it's simply an abstract concept but actually tens of thousands of soldiers in the Defense Force. For example, Germany has more than 60,000 in the Army alone do their parts so every other Germans can enjoy their freedom.

If anyone thinks absolute freedom exists, they have little idea of how society works. Anarchy is a sure sign of society with absolute freedom by anyone. And a retirement home would unlikely become even a refuge for old folks when everything runs amok around them.

P.S. I don't mean to sound harsh but, in a way, using a bigger picture to rely with a clear message. At large.

Navigation

Jump to: