cannot pull IP from router for Linksys WRT1900AC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
GeezrRckr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:39    Post subject: cannot pull IP from router for Linksys WRT1900AC Reply with quote
Hello - long time DD-WRT user, but not likely as skilled as most who frequent this forum.

I've tried flashing my Linksys WRT1900AC v1 a few times the past couple years. Every time I cannot get an IP from the ISP's modem.

I installed the most recent build - 3.0 44715 - as it is now less than the 32Mb FW limit (which I read about).

This still isn't helping me get the IP addy from the damn router. I've done a 30-30-30 reset and rebooted both and it's not helping.

I'm pretty sure all my settings are right: DHCP from the router (as I have another non-Linksys DD-WRT connected to it now as well and it's working fine).

Would really appreciate any suggestions on how to get this Linksys to finally work running DD-WRT.

Thank you!
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Build 44715 is old and outdated and already has some security issues.

Upgrading to the latest build (as of today 50761) is highly recommended.

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

*After* upgrading reset to defaults, put settings in manually, do not restore from a backup (to different build).

To get an IP address from the ISP modem try the following:
Switch the router off, then switch the ISP modem off, after 30 seconds switch the ISP modem on, after 5 minutes switch the router on.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
And don't ever do a 30-30-30 reset. With this line of routers, its dangerous.
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
GeezrRckr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
And don't ever do a 30-30-30 reset. With this line of routers, its dangerous.

Thank you for this. In my research, I missed that! Glad I didn't brick it doing that.
GeezrRckr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Build 44715 is old and outdated and already has some security issues.

Upgrading to the latest build (as of today 50761) is highly recommended.

See the forum guidelines with helpful pointers about how to research your router, where and what firmware to download, where and how to post and many other helpful tips:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

*After* upgrading reset to defaults, put settings in manually, do not restore from a backup (to different build).

To get an IP address from the ISP modem try the following:
Switch the router off, then switch the ISP modem off, after 30 seconds switch the ISP modem on, after 5 minutes switch the router on.

hmm...i was hoping for something more sophisticated than the usual 'reboot' line. perhaps I undersold my experience level and effort to research this issue prior to posting. Iv'e actually successfully flashed 4-5 routers with dd-wrt over the years...working just fine right after. Thees were mostly the old WRT54s way back in the day. And, it was through my research that I found out that this router has trouble with FW > 32Mb. I didn't find anything specific related to my OP.

okay, well i tried all these steps and the only thing I was able to succeed with is flashing to the latest release. and, trying the booting sequence suggested, I'm still not getting an IP address from the modem.

I thought I'd flash to the 2019 rev (40559) working with my other DD-WRT (Netgear Nighthawk) but am unable to go back to that rev despite all my efforts (and using the correct 'webflash' file).

I tried giving a Static IP from the modem and that also did not work (despite the 'internet' light no longer solidly lit).

Worse, now I'm not even able to revert back to the Linksys partition despite following all the instructions posted in the router wiki.

I'm still hopeful that I can - at very least - get back to the Linksys partition so I may just use the stock firmware. Best case would be for someone to see this thread and provide a fix for me here. I'll take anything at this point, ha.

Thanks for your reply. Maybe you have some other ideas for me?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgrade to current release, reset, and reboot main modem/router trick.

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/10-31-2022-r50755/linksys-wrt1900ac/

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
GeezrRckr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Upgrade to current release, reset, and reboot main modem/router trick.

https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/10-31-2022-r50755/linksys-wrt1900ac/

lol, that actually works for this issue?

nope

I connected the router to my other DD-WRT router and it was able to pull and IP. But...it still isn't connecting to the internet. I'm starting to wonder if maybe this Linksys is bricked (in some way). I just wish I could revert back to the Linksys FW and go from there.

Anyway, it would be great to get some more suggestions...esp those with a bit more than just L1 stuff already proposed. Thanks.
GeezrRckr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
omg, i fixed it!

amongst all my 'whining' about the 'unsophisticated' suggestions...it occurred to me that what if it really is something simple...like the ethernet cord?! and you know what...that was what it was!

'f' me, right? haha.

okay, now on to my next issue...Static IP routing is much more feature-rich in the latest release (read:complicated). i tried to set up the google (re)routing for my Roku but it's not actually writing to the Routing Table.

i did a search for a tutorial for the new format, but didn't find one. can someone point me to how to set up Static Routing for this generation, please.

and, thanks again for the replies. in the end, you all were helpful Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: