r50551 not storing VLAN custom settings on Tp-link 1043nd v2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
pakamon1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 14:45    Post subject: r50551 not storing VLAN custom settings on Tp-link 1043nd v2 Reply with quote
DD-WRT version: r50551 std
Router: TP-link 1043nd ver.2

I'm actually running many issues with VLAN setup so I will describe them in separate threads.
VLAN0 : switch ports of 1043nd
VLAN2 : WAN port
VLAN3 : guests vlan

Issue:

Working custom VLAN settings made via CLI are lost upon clicking "Save" and "Apply Settings" in Switch Config section OR Networking section in GUI

Steps to reproduce:
- Setup VLAN in Switch Config section in GUI (see screenshots1.png, Save & Apply)
- Setup custom VLAN settings using swconfig (see screenshots2.png)
- Setup Networking section (see screenshots3.png)
- Added custom VLAN settings to Administration->Commands->Startup (see screenshots4.png)
- Config works as expected
- Now go to Setup->Switch Config OR Setup->Networking, press "Save" & "Apply Settings"
- Custom VLAN settings will by overwritten by settings from screenshot5.png

Looks like a bug (or feature?)
Sponsor
pakamon1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 14:49    Post subject: Added missing photos Reply with quote
Added missing photos
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't use the webUI to configure VLANs on Atheros; only swconfig commands in startup, custom, USB, or firewall script.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
Now go to Setup->Switch Config press "Save" & "Apply Settings"

the "switch config tab" overwrites the switch config - yes that is what it normally does
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
1043v2 has a vlan's yes, but all must be configured via swconfig commands...placed at startup script
section....it can handle 1,2 vlans and than goes out of memory or too low mem...bear in mind if you
have VAP it also takes lot of memory and if you run something else it will bottleneck the router...
as this baby is for basic use...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
pakamon1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
1043v2 has a vlan's yes, but all must be configured via swconfig commands...placed at startup script
section....it can handle 1,2 vlans and than goes out of memory or too low mem...bear in mind if you
have VAP it also takes lot of memory and if you run something else it will bottleneck the router...
as this baby is for basic use...

This router is not a beast for sure. I agree Smile
Main purpose for 1043nd v2 right now is to have three VLANs, no WiFi configured (WiFi an guests network is offloaded to Ubiquiti AC Lite via VLANs)
pakamon1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
Quote:
Now go to Setup->Switch Config press "Save" & "Apply Settings"

the "switch config tab" overwrites the switch config - yes that is what it normally does

Thanks.
I do understand Switch Config tab which can overwrite cli settings but Networking tab is a bit "problematic" as there are some settings there not directly related to VLANS (like Multiple DHCP server settings). I can imagine situation where you can add additional DHCP server or even amend current one and in such scenario also VLAN settings would be overwritten.

I'm not complaining though Wink For some people it might be a bit annoying (I got use to it already)
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well when I press save or apply on my router in the networking tab the switch configuration is not changed.

I did not mention the "networking tab" in the previous post either.
Because it seems a bit suspicious to me.
pakamon1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
Well when I press save or apply on my router in the networking tab the switch configuration is not changed.

I did not mention the "networking tab" in the previous post either.
Because it seems a bit suspicious to me.

It is indeed Smile
Issue is reproducible on demand with Setup->Networking tab so it may be an interesting case for developers to investigate.

Cheers!
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
on one of my 1043v2 i have 3 vlan's bound to their own bridge and linked to a (single) switch port and free ram is around 6-8MB...

but x3 virtual WIFI AP on own bridge/vlan /subnet ..it will be to0 much for 64mb ram router...you will be out of ram i guess...my advise use startup script to add all the vlan segmentation commands, than add dhcpd to those vlans or if they are on their own bridge...dhcp to the br

Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
pakamon1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
on one of my 1043v2 i have 3 vlan's bound to their own bridge and linked to a (single) switch port and free ram is around 6-8MB...

but x3 virtual WIFI AP on own bridge/vlan /subnet ..it will be to0 much for 64mb ram router...you will be out of ram i guess...my advise use startup script to add all the vlan segmentation commands, than add dhcpd to those vlans or if they are on their own bridge...dhcp to the br

Thanks for feedback but as I mentioned few posts above:

Quote:
This router is not a beast for sure. I agree Smile
Main purpose for 1043nd v2 right now is to have three VLANs, no WiFi configured (WiFi an guests network is offloaded to Ubiquiti AC Lite via VLANs)

Happy with current setup but Networking tab Save & Apply settings are causing havoc in VLAN section that was set up using swconfig Wink
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep swcinfig tab is not working on all routers...as its only operational on Broadcom devices all the other platforms use swconfig start up commands..

and yes 1043v2 is ideal/ok for vlans on their own subnets/ports, i add/assign them to the br, so br to br rules can apply, as well i have net isolation on those too...
Overall when vlans are assigned to a br they are more easy to control ... Smile

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: