WRT3200ACM - headed to the trash if I can't fix it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
bobthenewguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
na when you update the firmware it loads to the stby partition, changes the boot to the stby and reboots. so if you upload the firmware a second time it does the other partition in the same order. i've verified via telnet. no need for USB to ttl.

start point linksys factory firmware --> upgrade to factory-to-DDWRT. reboot. in the new DDWRT web interface , I upgraded again to factory-to_ddwrt (this accomplishes getting both the partitions on the same code)

and as for the config. I did a config backup before I did my emergency config. so I simply just loaded all of my original settings back and they work. before all of this trouble shooting that didn't work.

this is a very odd "fix\work around" it was dumb luck it worked. but I have my 1VAP on the 5ghz working and all 3 of my VAP on the 2.4ghz working again.

I didn't go to R50500 because I didn't want to introduce possible new issues stick to what ya know works is why I did it
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT WebUI Upgrade or CLI Flash uses ddwrt-linksys-wrt3200acm-webflash.bin only not factory-to-ddwrt.bin!
bobthenewguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
there are detailed documents regarding my method of upgrade that details how to do it. I'm very confident my interpretation is accurate. and the factory-to ddwrt.bin must be used 2x to successfully remove the factory firmware completely from the device or you will brick it. here's the link and a quote below:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117

The factory to dd-wrt is for installing DD-WRT from the Linksys GUI. This file will be used under two circumstances.
1. You are installing DD-WRT for the first time.
2. You have switched back to opposite partition and you have the Linksys Stock Firmware on that partition.

The dd-wrt webflash is for upgrading a current DD-WRT installation. This file will result in the following circumstances.
1. A new version of DD-WRT will be installed on the opposite & inactive partition.
2. The previous DD-WRT version will be left on what is now the inactive partition (after reboot).
3. All settings and configuration will be kept and applied to new version (unless a reset is selected in Firmware Upgrade Sub-Tab).

Note: It’s only one file per Install / Upgrade. If you use the ‘factory to dd-wrt’ file followed by the ‘dd-wrt webflash’ file you will have installed the same version of DD-WRT on BOTH partitions and overwritten the Linksys OEM Firmware.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are doing it wrong.
bobthenewguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
lol but it fixed my problem? was breaking eggs and found a fix. right or wrong it's working?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
bobthenewguy wrote:
start point linksys factory firmware --> upgrade to factory-to-DDWRT. reboot. in the new DDWRT web interface , I upgraded again to factory-to_ddwrt (this accomplishes getting both the partitions on the same code)
No, DD-WRT WebUI ddwrt-linksys-wrt3200acm-webflash.bin does after factory-to-ddwrt.bin.
bobthenewguy wrote:
there are detailed documents regarding my method of upgrade that details how to do it. I'm very confident my interpretation is accurate. and the factory-to ddwrt.bin must be used 2x to successfully remove the factory firmware completely from the device or you will brick it.
This is 100% wrong not spuriousoffspring's fault. I can't believe you came to this conclusion.

It is very likely these missteps are what got you into trouble in the first place. Read it again.
spuriousoffspring wrote:
Important: Backups from one version are NOT recommended to restore another version!

Find your router in the list by Model Number & Hardware Version.
For each router in the list there will always be two BIN files:
factory to dd-wrt
dd-wrt webflash

*Please pay close attention to this:

The factory to dd-wrt is for installing DD-WRT from the Linksys GUI. This file will be used under two circumstances.
1. You are installing DD-WRT for the first time.
2. You have switched back to opposite partition and you have the Linksys Stock Firmware on that partition.

The dd-wrt webflash is for upgrading a current DD-WRT installation. This file will result in the following circumstances.
1. A new version of DD-WRT will be installed on the opposite & inactive partition.
2. The previous DD-WRT version will be left on what is now the inactive partition (after reboot).
3. All settings and configuration will be kept and applied to new version (unless a reset is selected in Firmware Upgrade Sub-Tab).

Note: It’s only one file per Install / Upgrade. If you use the ‘factory to dd-wrt’ file followed by the ‘dd-wrt webflash’ file you will have installed the same version of DD-WRT on BOTH partitions and overwritten the Linksys OEM Firmware.

Important: Never Install / Upgrade via wireless. Always use a LAN Cable!
You do not even need that quote, read the file names. They are both easily self-explanatory.

Do not restore from a backup. nvram erase && reboot, or factory defaults, then reconfigure.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
WRT AC series require double-tap flash (some triple-tap) to remove stock firmware. On WRT1200 and WRT1900 devices, initial flash of factory-to-ddwrt file small enough to convert router; then webflash from DD-WRT webUI (twice) to current release. If you used factory-to-ddwrt twice from stock firmware (DD-WRT webUI probably won't flash that file...), then you still have stock firmware and will end up with issues.

Last edited by dale_gribble39 on Sat Oct 15, 2022 19:41; edited 1 time in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is WRT3200ACM... The factory-to-ddwrt is full size. Please do not confuse others. spuriousoffspring is correct.
There is no double or triple anything. You flash factory-to-ddwrt, confirm success, factory defaults or nvram erase.
Then configure your router. When new build eventually comes along, webflash upgrade. Move ahead not sideways.
bobthenewguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
good morning, I'm certainly enjoying the discussion goofy fixes are always a good one to talk about.

the comments surrounding doing it wrong or uploading previous configs on newer revs are simply incorrect assumptions. please don't lose sight of what happened. there is also no reason why I can't rebuild from previous backup when the config was built on the same rev, and restored on the same rev. otherwise what's the point of a config backup? regarding double flashing the factory-to-ddwrt, I can confirm it does load it on both partitions.

so. to prove this crazy fix on my 2nd router that has the exact same issue i performed the upgrade as described that everyone is concerned about factory ISO to Factory-to-ddwrt then to ddwrt-linksys-wrt3200acm-webflash. my problem still existed. I moved back to the factory iso. this time did the same procedure I did before factory ISO to Factory-to-ddwrt, then did it again. poof fixed my problem again. right or wrong it's working. I did that simply to try something different all the "correct procedures" were not working.

I am very happy for all the help on this one; good discussion like this helps me think outside the box to find fixes.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fixed nothing, and absolutely nothing to do with old builds or backups, all is irrelevant. You flashed the wrong file.
You refused to nvram erase then manually reconfigure. Read spuriousoffspring again re-quoted the entire section.

You broke your DD-WRT install & config. Would not be surprised if you corrupted partitions, or even nvram space.
Blatant misinterpretation jumping through unnecessary hoops to "fix" the problem you are only running in circles.

All you have described on this page are "simply incorrect assumptions. please don't lose sight of what happened."
bobthenewguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
this is actually becoming funny to me. you are creating a complete alternative reality to what happened IDK if you are trying to justify a weird fix with user error or can't accept what actually happened.. At no point did I refuse to erase and rebuild from scratch, that's exactly one of the first troubleshooting steps we talked about in this very thread which did nothing to resolve the trouble. How did I break the install and config? prior to it breaking I did everything by the book through several years of upgrades and config rebuild without issue. then a ridiculous claim to you "Would not be surprised if you corrupted partitions, or even nvram space" is complete hog wash. IT'S WORKING. there is nothing broken my procedure WORKED right wrong w\e who cares it worked. not only did it work once it worked twice. on a 2nd router I have with a completely different configuration. there were no circles or hoops to jump. I did the procedures which failed. I proceeded to do unorthodox troubleshooting steps and it fixed my problem. why is that so hard for your to comprehend?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Read exactly spuriousoffspring selection you quoted and show how it fits into your alternate reality interpretation.
bobthenewguy wrote:
bobthenewguy wrote:
there are detailed documents regarding my method of upgrade that details how to do it. I'm very confident my interpretation is accurate. and the factory-to ddwrt.bin must be used 2x to successfully remove the factory firmware completely from the device or you will brick it.
You thinking it must be installed twice, with an incorrect file no less, will somehow avoid bricking is total bullshit!
It does not accomplish "getting both the partitions on the same code" and what do you think webflash.bin is for?

"It fixed my problem" is bullshit because factory-to-ddwrt, correctly installed, is identical to a webflash upgrade.
Unless of course you do something like restore backup, flash wrong files, withhold info, or just flat out lie about.

At this point you have wasted my time instead of reproduce or isolate issue, just sit on that old build and config.
Finally, we have WRT3200ACM users with VAPs regularly using webflash.bin so all this time no issues reported?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
This is WRT3200ACM... The factory-to-ddwrt is full size. Please do not confuse others. spuriousoffspring is correct.
There is no double or triple anything. You flash factory-to-ddwrt, confirm success, factory defaults or nvram erase.
Then configure your router. When new build eventually comes along, webflash upgrade. Move ahead not sideways.

Corrected myself, but also italicized the part where I implied removing stock firmware completely, as that was part of the discussion, or rather, 'argument'... at least from my perspective.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
bobthenewguy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt you seem like the guy that needs the last word so I'll make it easy and let ya know this is my last post on this thread so you can put one more comment at the bottom to feel like you won something?

i never said it would avoid bricking it the way i did it, in fact is most certainly thought it would brick it the router was worthless to me as it was. i'm well aware of what the webflash is for. when following the instructions it's very clear when to use it. and it fixed my problem is not bullshit. it wasn't working. i provided the steps I did that didn't work and did work. the way I look at it, it was weird as shit it worked. regardless if anyone agrees with what procedure fixed it. it is in fact fixed whether you like it or not. and your comments about the old config and build. it's a little over a year old which are all considered BETA when ya find a load that works for my configuration why would I change unless there is a feature, security, or bug I'm trying to fix. i would be more then happy to try to reproduce it if you have any suggestions beyond ridiculous nonsense. We did isolate the trouble to shitty dd-wrt code just not the root cause, I too would would really like to know why. so we didn't waste time. this on and on about you ignoring the fact the problem is now fixed or the trouble simply stopped happening is what is stupid. try getting off you high horse, it's fixed. accept it.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
@dale_gribble39
Understood but this is only valid if a user switches boot_part and reboots, or if it fails to boot early three times.
Firmware is stable, nvram erase & reboot, manually reconfigure, then stay on this partition until next webflash.

To immediately flash both partitions is unnecessary especially when there is another build available within days.
The router will not behave differently, just keep the nvram space clean, and risking a brick is totally unfounded.

@bobthenewguy I do not want last word but want to know source of problems now need to reproduce it myself.
So I will have to run through all the motions over here on WRT3200ACM Rev.B00, just do not believe the issue.
I will test r50500.

EDIT flashed ddwrt-linksys-wrt3200acm-webflash.bin then nvram erase && reboot and followed all steps below.

username password password

Wireless -> Basic Settings

wlan0 SSID wlan0
wlan1 SSID wlan1
wlan2 Network Mode Disabled
Save

Wireless -> Wireless Security

wlan0 Security Mode WPA
wlan0 WPA2 Personal check
wlan0 CCMP-128 (AES) check
WPA Shared Key password
Save

wlan1 Security Mode WPA
wlan1 WPA2 Personal check
wlan1 CCMP-128 (AES) check
WPA Shared Key password
Save

Wireless -> Basic Settings

wlan0 Add Virtual AP
wlan0.1 SSID wlan0.1
Save

wlan1 Add Virtual AP
wlan1.1 SSID wlan1.1
Save

Wireless -> Wireless Security

wlan0.1 Security Mode WPA
wlan0.1 WPA2 Personal check
wlan0.1 CCMP-128 (AES) check
WPA Shared Key password
Save

wlan1.1 Security Mode WPA
wlan1.1 WPA2 Personal check
wlan1.1 CCMP-128 (AES) check
WPA Shared Key password
Save

Administration -> Reboot

PC successfully connected to all four APs. Status -> Wireless, Sys Info, Interface dropdowns all appear normal.
I repeated this over three times to make sure it was not a fluke. I also flashed the other partition, same result.

Security was Disabled by default, instead of preselected Security Mode WPA, WPA2 Personal, CCMP-128 (AES).
Maybe new to me or has been too long since last used WRT3200ACM, but only 3 additional clicks per interface.

Auto channel surprisingly works. I have been avoiding for a long time, but I never had to wait for it to search.
However, one time it did choose 149 when a nearby access point was in use so still recommend set manually.

TLDR as expected this is obviously a user configuration issue and no amount of flashing the wrong file will fix.
In other words, PEBKAC. RTFM (correctly). Don't twist facts. Went out of my way to reproduce, found nothing.

Do not restore from old config backups. Upgrade is webflash.bin. Factory Defaults or nvram erase && reboot.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: