[SOLVED] WRT1900AC - Firmware sizes: webupdate X factory

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT webUI flashes the inactive partition unless you manually override it. In other words, unless you specifically follow certain procedures to keep your stock firmware partition, which makes zero sense, then your "backup partition" will be the previous version of DD-WRT flashed. This information is in the resources I've already linked. Please do a little more reading before making such assumptions as you've already done.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Sponsor
dpp3530
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had to recover using serial only because I was using CLI instructions I found online that had me overwriting both partitions. I broke it good. Fortunately, I had the necessary cable and this router comes apart fairly easy. I've also found better instructions since then, so I don't do it again.
Linksys WRT1900AC
DD-WRT v3.0 STD
DiabboVerdde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
dpp3530 wrote:
I had to recover using serial only because I was using CLI instructions I found online that had me overwriting both partitions. I broke it good. Fortunately, I had the necessary cable and this router comes apart fairly easy. I've also found better instructions since then, so I don't do it again.

makes sense. Thanks for letting me know. It's good to know the router has enough space in both partitions for the full DD-WRT. I have it working on the router right now, it seems to be working beautifully. Thanks everyone for the answers.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I already mentioned, Marvell builds over the years have increased in size. But, partition sizes are always the same.
That small DD-WRT build is a workaround to firmware upgrade in factory stock Linksys webUI only. ~ 32MB limitation.

Five models need older build to install from Linksys factory stock WebUI. I recommend r34411 as it works every time:
wrt1200ac (v1) wrt1200acv2, wrt1900acv2, wrt1900acs (v1), wrt1900acsv2. Small factory-to-ddwrt: wrt1900ac (v1).

CLI Flash instructions are correct in both DD-WRT wiki and build threads, very rarely should a serial flash be required.
Rarely because Marvell WRT routers are dual partition, if any firmware fails it automatically boots a previous partition.

Unless doing something wrong never have to worry about serial as each upgrade alternates boot partition, automatic.
Once in DD-WRT environment webupgrade.bin to current build, then webUI factory defaults or nvram erase & reboot.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: