Router for Traveling - Stream Netflix w/ ChromeCast

Pixel9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:48    Post subject: Router for Traveling - Stream Netflix w/ ChromeCast Reply with quote
Router/Version: Cisco Linksys E2000 H.W. Rev 1 https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E2000
File/Kernel: dd-wrt.v24-49212_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-e2000.bin / Linux 4.4.302-st25
Mode/Status: Wifi Client (Station) / WireGuard VPN Client / 1 VAP w/NAT/DHCP/Firewall
Issues/Errors: Need configuration advice

Would like to use for traveling. Some hotels don't have netflix. I have a spare ChromeCast I could stream netflix from my phone if the hotel TV has a spare HDMI port.

Would like to set one WAP radio as a client to the hotel wifi. And the Virtual AP radio as a NATted VLAN for my devices.

The issue I'm running into is I can't figure out how to set the Wireless client side to get IP Configs via DHCP from the hotel's wifi router. (I suppose I can do a manual config...)

I see there is a client mode that makes the main WAP radio act as a WAN port. But it deletes any Virtual Wireless access points when you turn it on. And you can only use wired clients on the LAN that way. One fix I thought of is bring two routers... But is there no way to set it up as a Client (Station) with a Virtual Access Point on the LAN side?

Would like to use Strong VPN Wireguard scripted setup so I can VPN all my traffic on the hotel network.

I've tried reading forums and threads. And played with bridging / VLANs to try to make it work the way I want on my home network but haven't figured it out.

Any advice on how to get it to do this?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:03    Post subject: Re: Router for Traveling - Stream Netflix w/ ChromeCast Reply with quote
Pixel9 wrote:
Would like to set one WAP radio as a client to the hotel wifi. And the Virtual AP radio as a NATted VLAN for my devices.

The issue I'm running into is I can't figure out how to set the Wireless client side to get IP Configs via DHCP from the hotel's wifi router. (I suppose I can do a manual config...)

Login into Web Page University/Hotel etc Not possible.

You may get lucky in trying to circumvent all mechanisms to prevent this and use a wired laptop to hit up the login page for the Hotel network. Good luck.

Pixel9 wrote:
I see there is a client mode that makes the main WAP radio act as a WAN port. But it deletes any Virtual Wireless access points when you turn it on. And you can only use wired clients on the LAN that way. One fix I thought of is bring two routers... But is there no way to set it up as a Client (Station) with a Virtual Access Point on the LAN side?

In short, No.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does this router not have repeater mode?

Repeater mode should let you make a virtuele AP.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Pixel9
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your recommendations!

Interesting reading.

So far I have actually been successful at finding active RJ45 jacks to plug the WAN port in. And that seems to work so far. I will try the repeater mode if I run into an issue where the RJ45 ports are turned off or inside the wall/inaccessible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: