How often should I update? Thread with new (or EOL) devices.

m.fessler
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:20    Post subject: How often should I update? Thread with new (or EOL) devices. Reply with quote
TL;DR: Wink
How do I find out when I should update without having or be able to understand every little code change?
Would a thread or webpage with a listing of new or no longer supported devices (whenever new beta versions are released) be an idea or does such a list already exist?

Hello,

first of all, thanks to the team for your great work!
I've been an on/off DD-WRT user for many years, although I would still consider myself a beginner as I'm just scratching the surface of what's possible.

I have two questions regarding new betas:
When it comes to the basic question of how often I should update, I just don't get anywhere.
There seem to be basically two types of users: The ones who update every few days and know every change in detail and those who simply follow a fixed rhythm.

As a simple user, how do I know if and when I should update purely for security reasons?
Awesome would be a page or thread with a brief note if an update is definitely recommended for simple scenarios - like the following two:
Scenario A: Router, NAT, nothing open except for port forwarding
Scenario B: Access Point, Client or Bridge behind a NAT router

Or are serious security vulnerabilities with regard to incoming connections almost impossible anyway if remote access, the info site, telnet, etc. are disabled?

And and last the the eternal question: Which router should I buy.
The question comes up again and again, and yes, there is also a pinned thread from 2021 about it.
Would be a thread where new and no longer supported devices maybe an idea?

Example:
09-27-2022-r50274:
New: Modell X, Y
No longer supported: Modell Z

Or does such a thread or webpage already exist?

Thank you for reading and in advance for any help.
Martin

Last edited by m.fessler on Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:30; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Update whenever you feel like. Use build threads for overview. AFAIK dd-wrt does not deprecate or drop support.

R7800, XR450, XR500, R7500v2 or EA8500. Recommended model asked almost every day, answer always same.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
A router not connected to the internet is no big security risk so update once or twice a year sounds reasonable.

A router connected to the internet I would update more often, always read (and report in) the build threads.

The R7800 install guide (link in my signature) has a list of builds I personally tested for a longer time.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
What egc said, routers facing the internet should be updated more often (minimum once a month IMO) as security patches are only present in the latest builds, but if you dont care for security and wanna flip a coin you do what you like.

Build r50274 for instance has quite a few known unpatched CVEs some actively exploited, depending where in the world you are and where you go on the web (surface or dark).

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:41    Post subject: Re: How often should I update? Thread with new (or EOL) devi Reply with quote
m.fessler wrote:
TL;DR: Wink
How do I find out when I should update without having or be able to understand every little code change?

Build threads are your best bet. They should annotate any major changes or CVE patches.
m.fessler wrote:
Would a thread or webpage with a listing of new or no longer supported devices (whenever new beta versions are released) be an idea or does such a list already exist?

To reiterate and further explain the below answer, the Supported Devices Wiki is more updated and curated than the Router Database is, and there are no devices for which support has dropped to speak of. In fact, there have been older devices which have had broken firmware that have been given attention to thanks to proactive diligence and interfacing with the lead developer.
blkt wrote:
Update whenever you feel like. Use build threads for overview. AFAIK dd-wrt does not deprecate or drop support.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
-best to check new builds threads
-better look at SVN for kernel updates, binary and services updates
-if not certain ask in the forum
-ddwrt gets updates and security fixes immediately when they are discovered
-if you read internet articles for best ddwrt router 101% biased towards
not the best routers….bolloks
-best price/performance/support value Netgear R7800 or reboxed version of it XR 500

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: