How does dd-wrt determine it needs to refresh the WAN DHCP

brucehvn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 21:23    Post subject: How does dd-wrt determine it needs to refresh the WAN DHCP Reply with quote
I have a Netgear XR500 router and I've recently switched to Verizon 5G home internet. I'm using the Verizon gateway in passthru mode and my router is connected directly to it via cable.

One drawback to this internet service is that they change the IP address at least once a day. When that happens, I typically notice that my internet has lost connectivity and I end up going into dd-wrt and manually refreshing the DHCP lease on the WAN from the status page.

My question is if and how dd-wrt detects that the IP address is no longer valid and automatically performs a DHCP refresh?

Does anyone have any suggestions for making this more reliable?
Sponsor
brucehvn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found an example in the "Useful Scripts" section of the WIKI.

So, I guess the answer is that dd-wrt doesn't have a built-in mechanism for detecting when the WAN needs to be refreshed.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 21:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
If it happens at a particular time/day, you could have the router do a scheduled reboot.

you can find this in Administration > Keep Alive.

That or you can check to see if the verizon gateway comes with a scheduled reboot. that way, the ethernet port shuts down and then turns back on after booting up. no need to restart the router.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
brucehvn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Good suggestions. I'm going to see if I can pinpoint a particular time at night that it happens. The Verizon cube doesn't have a scheduled reboot feature, so I would have to do it in dd-wrt.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
brucehvn wrote:
I found an example in the "Useful Scripts" section of the WIKI.

So, I guess the answer is that dd-wrt doesn't have a built-in mechanism for detecting when the WAN needs to be refreshed.

Depends on what the WAN configuration is. The scripts in that wiki seem to rely on an Auto DHCP WAN configuration. Using LTE with IP pass-thru isn't PPPoE or mobile broadband, I presume? Auto DHCP relies on the upstream DHCP lease time given to your router. DD-WRT will automatically renew the DHCP lease for you. For anything NOT Auto DHCP, there is a connection / proxy watchdog on the Administration -> Keep Alive tab as well as scheduled reboot.
brucehvn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm trying the WDS/Connection watchdog in the Admin->Keep Alive panel. I've given it 3 IP addresses to ping and if it can't connect to all 3, then it will reboot the router. I'll see how that goes.
brucehvn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
It made it through last night pretty seamlessly. The IP changed around 1:00 AM, the router rebooted, the ddns updated, and everything was good with minimal interruption. I'm paying attention to the WAN lease remaining time to see if Verizon changes the IP right at the end of the lease time or not.

Thanks everybody.
yoyoma2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had QoS problems with WAN IP changes see #7354. I only use fixed addresses on the LAN and the rare devices that can only use DHCP have static leases and everything except QoS worked fine with WAN IP changes. Closed the ticket because my current ISP doesn't change the WAN IP and I can no longer encounter this bug.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
WAN IPs,like public pools are often tied to the WAN port MAC address, for instance I often change my MAC addresses to prevent ISP from tracking any habits and the WAN IP changes accordingly.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
brucehvn wrote:
It made it through last night pretty seamlessly. The IP changed around 1:00 AM, the router rebooted, the ddns updated, and everything was good with minimal interruption. I'm paying attention to the WAN lease remaining time to see if Verizon changes the IP right at the end of the lease time or not.

Thanks everybody.

I had to develop a script to maintain connection to Verizon in the past on my old OpenBSD server as well as a script to determine if any of the firewall log entries were nefarious or just Verizon's system probing my WAN. Usually all the information changes - WAN IP, gateway, etc. and it seems DD-WRT doesn't handle that all too well in this case, apparently.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
I often change my MAC addresses to prevent ISP from tracking any habits

wait, what? I can see the merit of doing this for instance if you are connecting to an open wifi hotspot, so you change your wifi adapter's MAC to "reset" your identity. But even changing your router's WAN mac address (which would force the ISP to give you a new IP Address probably), wouldn't the ISP still "know who you are" from your cable modem or fiber ONT serial numbers?

Maybe you are being too paranoid, on the other hand, maybe I am not being paranoid enough...
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
MuzzleVelocity wrote:
the-joker wrote:
I often change my MAC addresses to prevent ISP from tracking any habits

wait, what? I can see the merit of doing this for instance if you are connecting to an open wifi hotspot, so you change your wifi adapter's MAC to "reset" your identity. But even changing your router's WAN mac address (which would force the ISP to give you a new IP Address probably), wouldn't the ISP still "know who you are" from your cable modem or fiber ONT serial numbers?

Maybe you are being too paranoid, on the other hand, maybe I am not being paranoid enough...

Hi. I work for a WISP.

Yes, the ISP would still know who you are regardless how many times you try to change your IP address. I mean you opened an account with them as a residential customer.

A good reason for why you want to change your IP address is when you do not want hackers tracking you or want to get around a ban placed on you by a server that blocked you from it.

If you REALLY wanted to stay anonymous, try becoming your own ISP ready to spend a couple thousand dollars no matter what speed you are paying for.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 19:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
MuzzleVelocity wrote:

Its not about paranoia or avoiding bans, or hackers, none of those require changing your WAN IP, this is purely for everyday unmasked habits genuine traffic where nothing is hidden. All the sites I visit unmasked they will also get a new IP, ISP will have to figure out user X is now using an IP user F used, so any profile building from that end also requires more processing, in any case a 2 second job costs more time to the other side.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: