Asus 5300 serial pinout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
AHMEDipUAE
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 23:24    Post subject: Asus 5300 serial pinout Reply with quote
Hello,

Can someone help me to locate the serial pinout in the router please?
I need to do usb to TTL restore...

So I need to know where is the pinout please..

[img]https://cdn2-techbang.pixcdn.tw/system/images/328961/original/c8ef8c50426517b29530d4e935a42411.jpg?1450262506[/img]
Sponsor
Malachi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Almost every asus router I've had already had the pins soldered in. Especially all the higher end ones. The rt-n66, ac66, ac68, ac88, rt-ac3200, n16.

Here is the answer I gave to someone else who asked. https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac5300-serial-pinout.36780/

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:21    Post subject: Re: Asus 5300 serial pinout Reply with quote
AHMEDipUAE wrote:
Hello,

[img]https://cdn2-techbang.pixcdn.tw/system/images/328961/original/c8ef8c50426517b29530d4e935a42411.jpg?1450262506[/img]

I dont have a picture but follow these directions and you will be able to find them:

Remove all 8 antennas---Flip the router so the rubber stoppers are facing up AND all ethernet ports/reset button, etc., are positioned to your LEFT--- Remove rubber stoppers in the bottom (you may have to use some force to pull them as they are glued there)---This will expose all 4 screw holes---remove all screws---then remove the bottom plastic cover using a sharp boxcutter blade while keeping the router in the same position as above ---now your circuit board is exposed---remove the 2 screws that hold your board in place (you may have to look carefully until you find them---once your board is loose gently pull it out of the top plastic cover.

Now flip the board so the ethernet ports, etc are still facing your LEFT side---Once you do this your 4 PINS sticking up will be on the RIGHT side of the board----the one closest to you is the Vcc one---the one farthest from you is the GROUND one----the two in between are the Tx and Rx ones (I dont remember exactly which one is which)---you can use a multimeter to test each pin if you would like

IMPORTANT to know: DO NOT connect Vcc pin to any of serial cables---the only router pins you connect to your serial are: GRD+Tx+Rx (the order of which is GRD+Rx+Tx on your serial cable)

Use Putty and save your router settings and you will be good to go (see Wiki for more info on how to configure Putty).

Once you get to cfe> in Putty you erase NVRAM and then REBOOT. Wait for a while and once you see all lights flashing, your RT-AC5300 is breathing life again!!!

Good luck!
hachiroku
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:08    Post subject: Re: Asus 5300 serial pinout Reply with quote
tunakok wrote:
AHMEDipUAE wrote:
Hello,

I dont have a picture but follow these directions and you will be able to find them:

Remove all 8 antennas---Flip the router so the rubber stoppers are facing up AND all ethernet ports/reset button, etc., are positioned to your LEFT--- Remove rubber stoppers in the bottom (you may have to use some force to pull them as they are glued there)---This will expose all 4 screw holes---remove all screws---then remove the bottom plastic cover using a sharp boxcutter blade while keeping the router in the same position as above ---now your circuit board is exposed---remove the 2 screws that hold your board in place (you may have to look carefully until you find them---once your board is loose gently pull it out of the top plastic cover.

Now flip the board so the ethernet ports, etc are still facing your LEFT side---Once you do this your 4 PINS sticking up will be on the RIGHT side of the board----the one closest to you is the Vcc one---the one farthest from you is the GROUND one----the two in between are the Tx and Rx ones (I dont remember exactly which one is which)---you can use a multimeter to test each pin if you would like

IMPORTANT to know: DO NOT connect Vcc pin to any of serial cables---the only router pins you connect to your serial are: GRD+Tx+Rx (the order of which is GRD+Rx+Tx on your serial cable)

Use Putty and save your router settings and you will be good to go (see Wiki for more info on how to configure Putty).

Once you get to cfe> in Putty you erase NVRAM and then REBOOT. Wait for a while and once you see all lights flashing, your RT-AC5300 is breathing life again!!!

Good luck!

if you do not hook up 3.3v how do you power up? i have tried with 3.3v pin as well as power to router and i get a flashing WAN light which supposedly means the communication is not working. i.e. Tx and Rx in wrong locations.

i am unable to get serial connection through putty to output anything.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
You never connect +3.3V (Vcc) on serial connections, it's generally NOT required. It would be more helpful to know more information about your serial console setup...
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 18:26    Post subject: Re: Asus 5300 serial pinout Reply with quote
hachiroku wrote:
if you do not hook up 3.3v how do you power up? i have tried with 3.3v pin as well as power to router and i get a flashing WAN light which supposedly means the communication is not working. i.e. Tx and Rx in wrong locations.

i am unable to get serial connection through putty to output anything.

Do not be surprised if you have already damaged your router beyond repair. FT232RL 3.3v 3 pin (Amazon, eBay).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: