Tp-Link Archer c9v4 upgrade led to boot loop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ndom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 19:54    Post subject: Tp-Link Archer c9v4 upgrade led to boot loop Reply with quote
Hi there,

I have tried to upgrade a Tp-Link Archer C9v4 from r44715 to https://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-24-2022-r49866/tplink_archer-c9v4/ using the web GUI. The router has been reset to factory settings before the upgrade.

Please do not cast stones, I have done my best to check if the firmware was ok and found out that it is working on c9v1 (see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332835).

At the end of the upgrade the webpage indicated that it was successful. But in reality I got a boot loop.

I have tried to use the tftp recovery with both the r44715(which was working before) and the stock firmware(ArcherC9v3_eu_1_2_0_up_boot_160713). The images have been renamed to ArcherC9v3_tp_recovery.bin and are read from the tftp server(hence, router is happy with the name) and I guess the router tries to flash it, but the result is the same: boot loop. Sad
[I know, it is weird that my c9v4 asks for c9v3 recovery images. I think it might be a development typo when copy-pasting.]

Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?
If I have no other option than using the serial connection, is there any guide for c9v4/c9v3?
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
TP Link Archer C9 - TP-Link Archer C9 v3, v4 - DD-WRT Wiki
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
ndom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
TP Link Archer C9 - TP-Link Archer C9 v3, v4 - DD-WRT Wiki

Thank you very much, dale_gribble39.
The procedure described there worked well. It is suitable for a bricked c9v3/c3v4 no matter what caused it. (i.e. not just for jffs2 bug)
ndom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I suspect the boot loop is caused by the reset to factory settings because:

• while running r44715 I issued through the console `nvram erase && reboot` Result: successful factory reset

• in the upgrade from r44715 to r49866 I selected "After flashing, reset to Default Settings". Result: boot loop

• in the upgrade from r44715 to r50057 I did not select "After flashing, reset to Default Settings". Result: successful upgrade

• in the upgrade from r44715 to r50057 I did select "After flashing, reset to Default Settings". Result: boot loop

• while running r50057 I issued through ssh `nvram erase && reboot` Result: boot loop

Please feel free to check the attached boot logs.

Does this have anything to do with jffs2 being enabled by default in the recent firmware builds?

Is there any solution to factory reset without bricking the router when running the latest firmwares?

puttyLogC9v4.txt
 Description:
upgrade from r44715 to r50057 with "After flashing, reset to Default Settings"

Download
 Filename:  puttyLogC9v4.txt
 Filesize:  73.12 KB
 Downloaded:  44 Time(s)

Last edited by ndom on Sat Sep 10, 2022 13:52; edited 1 time in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
That is a definite possibility.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
ndom wrote:
I suspect the boot loop is caused by the reset to factory settings because:

• while running r44715 I issued through the console `nvram erase && reboot` Result: successful factory reset

• in the upgrade from r44715 to r49866 I selected "After flashing, reset to Default Settings". Result: boot loop

• in the upgrade from r44715 to r50057 I did not select "After flashing, reset to Default Settings". Result: successful upgrade

• in the upgrade from r44715 to r50057 I did select "After flashing, reset to Default Settings". Result: boot loop

• while running r50057 I issued through ssh `nvram erase && reboot` Result: boot loop

Please feel free to check the attached boot logs.

Does this have anything to do with jffs2 being enabled by default in the recent firmware builds?

Is there any solution to factory reset without bricking the router when running the latest firmwares?

disconnect the uart. it crashed in the serial driver
in addition. this is a wanted reboot. the reboot happens just once and is normal while reconfiguration if you start the device from a old configuration. so log is incomplete. since it doesnt show the second boot

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Updated the logs.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
ndom wrote:

What gives you this idea? Its not enabled by default afaik.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see that you flashed the "fix" .bin file, but never entered "go" for the device to reprogram itself or did anything to finish recovery.

ndom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

What gives you this idea? Its not enabled by default afaik.

It is my guessing since jffs2 is listed in the wiki as the main brick culprit. What other things do you think can brick the router on a simple factory reset?

dale_gribble39 wrote:
I see that you flashed the "fix" .bin file, but never entered "go" for the device to reprogram itself or did anything to finish recovery.

If you are referring to the latest lines in the log file, I disconnected the UART before flashing the stock firmware. [hence, no more logs] The router has been recovered successfully, no problem with that.
Phil9992
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may think I'm obsessive, but please also check your power supply, since it has previously been reported that bootloop was in fact due to a lack of power, ie voltage dropping way below nominal voltage at startup, because under certain conditions, device was asking more amperage than rated.

So, if you can, please live check input voltage while running, it would be great.
pawhtiobo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Phil9992 wrote:
You may think I'm obsessive, but please also check your power supply, since it has previously been reported that bootloop was in fact due to a lack of power, ie voltage dropping way below nominal voltage at startup, because under certain conditions, device was asking more amperage than rated.

So, if you can, please live check input voltage while running, it would be great.

This never occurred me...but I don't have any other more powerful power supply, all the TP-Link's and Asus I have are all rated the same voltage/amperage, and in the past I tested with a different power supply and the boot loop persisted.

Today I also gave my 5c on another thread also regarding a C9 and posted the issues I found with this device.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332835

Old thread:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330444

Regards,
ndom
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Today I have made another attempt to factory reset my c9v4 with the goal of measuring the voltage. Since there was a new build (r50176) I have tried it. The big news is that the rooter does not enter the boot loop anymore when resetting it to factory settings. Smile

Phil9992 wrote:

I have also checked the voltage and it remains stable at 12.15.

Thank you BrainSlayer & dd-wrt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: