Anyone using NFS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
meatbiscuit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:04    Post subject: Anyone using NFS? Reply with quote
Hey all, I'm trying to do some speed test comparions between samba and NFS. I've installed the nfs-server package via ipkg -- I start portmap, rpc.mount and rpc.nfs, all seems to go well, but when I try to mount the nfs share from my mac, it tells me the directory isn't available. Anyone have nfs working? Any ideas?
Sponsor
snebald
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not having run nfs on ddwrt, although on plenty of other boxes...
What does your /etc/exports look like ?
meatbiscuit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
my exports file is pretty basic, here is the contents:

/mnt (ro,all_squash,insecure)

I'm starting portmap via its RC script. Then I'm running:

rpc.mountd -r -f /jffs/etc/exports
rpc.nfsd

Here's the command I'm using to mount the NFS share from my mac:

mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/mnt /mnt/tmp/

and here's what I get in return:

mount_nfs: can't access /mnt: Not a directory

Any ideas?
meatbiscuit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Made some progress (sort of).

With the commands above, I wasn't specifying the exports file to the rpc.nfsd command.

Now, however, the NFS server is running on my router. I verified by using the showmount command as follows:

# showmount -e 192.168.1.1

the results are:

Exports list on 192.168.1.1:
/mnt/data *

I use the following mount command to mount the NFS share:

# mount 192.168.1.1:/mnt/data /mnt/tmp/

and get:

mount_nfs: can't access /mnt/data: Permission denied

I've tried many combinations of /etc/exports files and have yet to have any success. Permissions on /mnt and /mnt/data are read, write and execute for all users (777)

Also, I turned on the syslog. Each time I attempt to mount, the router's syslog shows the following:

Mar 16 11:28:41 Snaggle daemon.err mountd[19652]: Unauthorized access by NFS client 192.168.1.125.

Mar 16 11:28:41 Snaggle daemon.warn mountd[19652]: Blocked attempt of 192.168.1.125 to mount /mnt/data

Mar 16 11:28:47 Snaggle daemon.notice mountd[19652]: NFS mount of /mnt/data attempted from 192.168.1.125

EDIT: Also, contents of exports is:

/mnt/data *(rw,insecure)
meatbiscuit
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bump. I know people out there are running NFS servers on their routers. All suggestions welcome!
marbss
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
meatbiscuit wrote:
my exports file is pretty basic, here is the contents:
mount -t nfs 192.168.1.1:/mnt /mnt/tmp/

and here's what I get in return:

mount_nfs: can't access /mnt: Not a directory

Any ideas?

maybe try on dd-wrt:

cd /mnt
mkdir tmp

must make directory before mapping a mount.

or is it saying the /mnt directory does not exist on the NFS share?
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
use mkdir /tmp/mnt/whatever /mnt exists only in /tmp/mnt/ everything not /tmp else is readonly.

Your message was pretty clear since /mtn doesn't exist at root level (at least not n my router), you can always confirm by running ls on any directory.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
gallo
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 0:59    Post subject: Re: Anyone using NFS? Reply with quote
meatbiscuit wrote:
Hey all, I'm trying to do some speed test comparions between samba and NFS.

ive never tried nfs on dd-wrt, my experience is limited to windows and a wdlxtv media player, but hands down nfs is way faster, in my case the transfer rates almost doubled. Getting the config file is crucial.

NAS: Iomega ix2-200 CE 4tb, Seagate 1tb usb drive
Wash your hands and DONT TOUCH YOUR FACE!!!
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would have tried NFS if it was present on R7800. So far only the Marvell based Linksys WRT series have it included.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
The R6800/R9000 have NFS (only ones I have tested for development) and so does obviously x86/x64 probably others do also.

Speed wise technically NFS is faster and lower overhead than traditional samba (userspace), against modern ksmbd its unknown, since DD-WRT is not in sync with upstream ksmbd because the minimum kernel ksmbd requires due to API's used is 5.4, we cant really make a determination one vs the other DD-WRT side.

In any case the bottleneck will be how shitty the USB implementation is on a given router, the type of drive used SSD/HDD and the USB2/3 whatever is used and the CPU power of the router and available resources.

I can say that on RT-AC68U the transfer speeds read/write with a USB3/2 caddy sporting a drive able to use the full gigabit pipe the speeds are abysmally slow no matter USB port using current DD-WRT ksmbd (again remember its not in sync with upstream). This routers USB3 implementation is utter crap and does not perform any differently than the USB2, the results during read/write transfers are comparable and fluctuate by huge peaks/valleys during any read/write, so posting final numbers here is not accurate it can hit 20MB/s and 5MB/s but only once or twice during a 100MB file transfer with valleys of 250KB/s and lower so end speeds the average is crap.

I don't want my router to be a NAS anyway, it just cant cut it, I have several dedicated file servers which both samba and NFS wise fill the Gigabit speeds on any operation, NFS is marginally faster on transfers but streaming NFS wins hands down, the servers are x64 and so is the media center all are Linux.

To sum up, good luck with that nugget, but in a pinch for a small amount of time, crap or not is good to have the option router side.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
portsup
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
The R6800/R9000 have NFS (only ones I have tested for development) and so does obviously x86/x64 probably others do also.

I just discovered NFS as a GUI option on the xr700 yet the r7000 doesn't have it, any idea why?

I too am wondering the speed difference of samba and nfs. Recent builds samba has been really slow listing directories but proftp has been less buggy. Samba is significantly faster on the xr700 vs the r7000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: