Is there some setting for more width in the Web interface?

shmerl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 23:19    Post subject: Is there some setting for more width in the Web interface? Reply with quote
DD-WRT Web interface out of the box uses relatively narrow rectangle, and some information especially about IPv6 (like in Status > LAN > Active Clients) is truncated without any obvious way to display it fully.

Is there some configuration or interface theme with bigger or flexible width?
Sponsor
shmerl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK, I think I found it in Administration > Web UI styles. xirian and brainslayer provide quite a wider view where above isn't a problem. Though "elegant" style looks nicer.

It would be good to have some option with that but with bigger width.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this a question directed at the current release? (50176 presently)?
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
shmerl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, it applies to the current release. May be I can open some feature request - basically increase width for the "elegant" UI theme.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am sure the-joker will see this thread so consider this already requested.

General Sticky: UI themes! preview/public builds BUG hunting REPORTING
shmerl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the pointer to that thread! I'll use it for follow ups or any other UI reports.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
shmerl wrote:
Yes, it applies to the current release. May be I can open some feature request - basically increase width for the "elegant" UI theme.

Basically, show me (screenshot) exactly where you want more width and Ill see if its possible.

If this is inside the table, its not possible because those tables have a limited width since the help sidemenu takes some width away the table flies out from layout and it looks ugly the bug was reported. The way you see it now is to prevent that bug.

Old issue unlikely to change width wise, but I can look at doing something else like a tooltip.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
You could make that whole help sidebar hide/show. All of the help / explanation in the default (Fresh)Tomato is like that and is not visible by default. But people would complain if you did that because reasons.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes I already thought about that, but our UI backend is not yet ready for those kinds of things. Because reasons.

What I have done is https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/50213#file1 and while tootips are not very accessibility friendly it should satisfy the whole 2 people who complained about this.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

shmerl
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Basically, show me (screenshot) exactly where you want more width and Ill see if its possible.

If this is inside the table, its not possible because those tables have a limited width since the help sidemenu takes some width away the table flies out from layout and it looks ugly the bug was reported. The way you see it now is to prevent that bug.

Old issue unlikely to change width wise, but I can look at doing something else like a tooltip.

Note ... in the end of the addresses. Those are long IPv6 ones:

May be if not the table, you can expand the outer rectangle? It really takes a tiny portion of the screen.

Alternatively, you can decrease the size of the font for IPv6 address, though it's not ideal either.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Connections appears to be a prime candidate for abbreviation (CONN, CXN) and space reduction to 4 or 5 digits.
DHCP Clients has extra space in Hostname, MAC Address & Lease Expiration if need to widen IP Address column.
However IPv6 can be up to 39 characters 45 if IPv4-mapped so it easily becomes cumbersome to accommodate.
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have made all IP's show on tooltips for now on all tables (untested with ipv6), best that can be done with the current design, or just copy the ipv6 even though its cut off it copies the lot..

blkt wrote:
Connections appears to be a prime candidate for abbreviation (CONN, CXN) and space reduction to 4 or 5 digits.
DHCP Clients has extra space in Hostname, MAC Address & Lease Expiration if need to widen IP Address column.
However IPv6 can be up to 39 characters 45 if IPv4-mapped so it easily becomes cumbersome to accommodate.

It wont help abbreviations, not enough width altogether as you noted the sheer lenght, the header names could be all abbreviated (for the sake of the conversation), the data underneath is going to be as long as it needs to be.

This table needs to be fixed width as is now so stays within bounds, something will end up being cut off if I resize the headers, cannot be flexible either, if not the ipv6 then something else will be cut off, ipv6 is too long for that page when all other fields are populated, so something will give.

Then think translations -- nightmare 3 letter words in some languages are never ending in others.

Responsible layouts are a long way off (would solve this), or a design that I could collapse the help sidebar (also would solve this), or even make table headers resizable within the limited space (would solve this in a ugly way).

There is also the issue of size, adding JavaScript/CSS to make some of these cool things happen will cost and have an impact for the Dinosaurs DD-WRT simply wont give up support for. But the backend is still not ready, but its been further away as well.

Here just out of curiosity I made some hacks in browser to fit, notice percentage width needed for ipv6 40% mimimum all other tables header needed adjusting also, MAC needs minimum 16% anything else will go into ellipsis depending on MAC bits.

* that will break in any other language but English,
* that will break when users decide to change fonts or have a bigger font set, or even use DPI larger than 100%.

Overall also I showed how it will look like in tooltip which is my compromise for now already implemented.

So that design is OUT Wink

Capture.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.89 KB
 Viewed:  1540 Time(s)

Capture.PNG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: