R9000 10G Port

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Nuor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Slightly off topic;

Has anyone tried using this switch QSW-2104-2S and this Transceiver GTek 10GBase-SR SFP+ with a R9000.

It looks like a relatively inexpensive option for a small network with a Nas and 2.5g workstations.

Last edited by Nuor on Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:33; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's not a Smart Switch/Managed Switch, so no VLANs.
egosumumbravir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nuor wrote:
Has anyone tried using this switch QSW-2104-2S

I use that switch to connect the low-speed segment of my network to the high speed. It's plug and play, SFP+ vendor agnostic and has worked with every SFP+ module & DAC cable I've thrown at it. Great little unit, highly recommended.

My R9000 on the other hand is surprisingly picky about the SFP modules it'll work with reliably. I'm pretty sure I've ended up using a Finisar FTLX8571D3BCL module.
Nuor
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
It's not a Smart Switch/Managed Switch, so no VLANs.

I don't know that I'd require VLANs for this application, but if so;
This Zyxel Multi-Gig 12-Port Web Managed Switch is only about $20 more
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will when you start implementing separate networks for IoT and Guests.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
+1 for managed switches and let the switch take the load off, well r9000 has plenty horsepower but none the less managed switches allow more granular control / ACL configuration. If application is for IoTs even better you can block anything per port/packet type.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
lgkahn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
giving up on the r9000 as it gets too hot with the 10gbe ..

does anyone know a NON wifi router that can run dd-wrt with 10GBe and also can run in gateway as well as router mode..

thanks
egosumumbravir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
lgkahn wrote:
does anyone know a NON wifi router that can run dd-wrt with 10GBe and also can run in gateway as well as router mode..

Servethehome has been covering a heap of Chinese sourced x86 boxes. While most are focussed on 2.5G, some of these have Mellanox CX3 SFP+ mezz cards inside along with active cooling which is really needed for twisted pair SFP modules owing to their power consumption.

https://www.servethehome.com/the-gowin-r86s-revolution-low-power-2-5gbe-and-10gbe-intel-nvidia/2/

This one has WiFi, but I'm sure I've seen ones without.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are also Netgate appliances like this one (info is from same site):

https://www.servethehome.com/netgate-4100-pfsense-plus-router-firewall-vpn-appliance-review-intel-qat/

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
lgkahn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 22:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:

https://www.servethehome.com/netgate-4100-pfsense-plus-router-firewall-vpn-appliance-review-intel-qat/

thanks according to the review they could not run the nics as 5gbe or 10gbe speeds as it didnt have enough horsepower so that solution is out.
lgkahn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
lgkahn wrote:
dale_gribble39 wrote:

thanks according to the review they could not run the nics as 5gbe or 10gbe speeds as it didnt have enough horsepower so that solution is out.

this one actually the 6100 looks like it may fit the bill.. but don't know much about pfsense..

i know dd-wrt works in my hybride setup with both my lan and wan going into the same bank of switches because the dd-wrt can run in gateway mode and the router itself has the wan port in a separate vlan than the lan ports.

most other routers like asus you buy cannot support both connections coming out of the switches

its seems like it is not designed for my solution as i do NOT need a second firewall on the box as i have the upstream on on the public ips.

i only need nat from private to public and a dhcp for the privates and a few port forwarding rules. Decent wifi is a bonus, but i need the 10gb port so i can connect to my nas's and other appliances on the lan faster with some of my devices on the private network.. I have basically given up getting this with good wifi as well hence looking for a box without wifi and will add one of the newer gxe1100 or 1600 in ap mode behind it for the wifi access.

(i have a upstream router mikrotik with public ips and the main firewall) and one of those is forked off downstream to nat to a private ip subnet via the dd-wrt router.
lgkahn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
i did get a good as new r9000 from amazon and it appeard to work fine.. and i went thourgh the entire setup and got my 75+ dhcps ips in there, openvpn and wireguard vpns, and other stuff all configured before i noticed that even though it said the 5ghz wifi was working it was not broadcasting.. pissed that i paid almost 300 for that so sent it back..

i can get one much cheaper with the wifi *broken*.. that may be my next step.. (just ordered oen for 80 bucks)

note: the 10gb nic did work fine to use in my lan with the tp-link nic card out of the box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B12N5SJN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i just had to go through the initial setup in the netgear firmware to say i didnt want the 10gb in the wan and it appeared to put it in a vlan with the other lan ports even though when i installed dd-wrt 51440 build there is *no* vlan tab.. i assume due to the screwyness of the dual switches..
egosumumbravir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
lgkahn wrote:
but i need the 10gb port so i can connect to my nas's and other appliances on the lan faster

Have you thought about simply adding a 10Gb switch into the chain and cutting the r9000 out of that part of the process? That way you could have multiple 10g (or a mix of 10 & 2.5G) devices.
lgkahn
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
that wont work as i need the r900 or a comparable router AS Mentioned
(did you read above) go handle the tansition from a public ip to private and dhcp and vpn. etc.. switches don't do that.
egosumumbravir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
lgkahn wrote:
switches don't do that.

Well some switches don't Smile

Nevertheless - putting the switch INSIDE the LAN segment of the network. R9000 handles routing, nat, dhcp, dns, vpn, wifi, etc, etc - and possibly a low speed lan switch segment to boot.

The downstream switch simply does all the high speed LAN switching stuff. Everything else it hands off to the r9000.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: