[ANSWERED] Extending WIFI to Garage

wrenchmaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 16:47    Post subject: [ANSWERED] Extending WIFI to Garage Reply with quote
I have a detached garage that has difficulty picking up my wifi signal.
The garage is about 30' from the back of house and the router is in the front
of the house and that would be another 30'

How can I resolve this?
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to our lively community Cool

Start here https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332703 providing information needed to help us help you better.

You likely could increase Sensitivity Range / ACK Timing to 1350 and choose better wifi settings, in the end, if your environmental scenario like how many walls, what they are built of etc between the router and the garage, you may need to add an extender.

Not knowing what you are working with leaves too much room to guess and thus vague responses.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
1) What router do you have?

2) Is it running DD-WRT?

3) Simple solution is to add a range extender.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Indoor extender as close as possible to back of the house or do a proper Ethernet run, maybe outdoor access point.
egosumumbravir
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 0:48    Post subject: Re: Extending WIFI to Garage Reply with quote
wrenchmaster wrote:
I have a detached garage that has difficulty picking up my wifi signal.

I'm in a similar situation, although the distances are less. An all steel clad shed reduces the WiFi signal inside to pretty much zero.

My solution has been to mount a bridged TPlink CPE710 outside the shed and a old router running DD-WRT as an access point inside. Works great with a solid 250Mbps each way despite three layers of bricks & zero LOS between the source AP and the CPE710.|

edit: of course a hard line is the best option when you have the ability/funds/permissions to pull/trench but when this is simply not an option there's a few options for pressing WISP gear into service.

If you do pull a cable, electrically non-conductive fibre is the least likely to cause problems with grounding differentials between buildings or nearby lightning strikes frying things.

edit: speeds are more like 250Mbps. Windows copies hover right around the 20Mbyte/sec mark in either direction

Last edited by egosumumbravir on Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:14; edited 2 times in total
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have recently moved into a new place with a detached garage. Not unlike my old place, but further separation. In both instances, I ran a cable to the garage dd-wrt router. Previously a Netgear R6250 but now a R7800.

However, with that said, my new place is my mom's house, as I bought it after she died. But long before I moved in, I managed to get them access to the garage via a Linksys wifi extender, connecting to an ancient Linksys WRT54G v1.1 (Linux version). While that worked well for them, it did not have the desired bandwidth for me. I opted to replace all that with dual cables using TPLink managed switches which support LAG. I was lucky, as I discovered that conduit had already been ran underground between the house and garage, with a pull string already in place. Dang, that was some serious good luck there! Outdoor ethernet cable is not that expensive, but digging the ditch to get it there might be more than your budget allows, but honestly, that is your best choice.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55779

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
DWCruiser
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:35    Post subject: Re: Extending WIFI to Garage Reply with quote
If you don't want to dig and lay a cable in the ground; or run an overhead Ethernet wire b/w the house and the garage, here is a neat option to consider: MikroTik Wireless Wire Kit.

Simply plug an Ethernet wire to each unit, point them at each other in a line of sight and turn them on. You will have an instant 1Gbit connection between the two boxes.

Here are links about the product:
- Specs: https://mikrotik.com/product/wireless_wire

- Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1JxD9AGiww

- Review (with some ideas about installation - English subtitled): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hZGsgfL2rs

- Availability: https://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-Wireless-RBwAPG-60ad-wireless-duplex/dp/B077992GG3#customerReviews

(In case you have not heard of it previously, MikroTik is kinda Cisco product without a premium price).

Good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wifi Powerline Adapter (You can also Hard wire from the adapter)

https://www.amazon.com/powerline-adapter-wifi/s?k=powerline+adapter+with+wifi

The main thing in order for this to work is that the Wall outlet inside the house the 1st powerline adapter isplugged into and the 2nd powerline adapter in the Garage nas to be on the same "Leg" Of your AC power ( typical home in the USA has 2 incoming legs from power company each 120 volts).

I am utilizing 4 powerline adapters (3 remote and 1 main) they work very good with little loss. 1 remote is in my RV (My Man cave) and I stream Music & Movies etc from my NAS plus watch IPTV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: