Netgear Nighthawk M1 passthru to DDWRT

Goto page Previous  1, 2
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
ninjadawg wrote:
Great help thankyou! I did notice that as an odd subnet mask, just not odd enough to do something about as still a novice here.

So by setting a Static IP in the WAN connection type with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, internet is working again. Now I'm guessing that when my WAN IP changes (4G connection after all), that I'll need to update my static IP.

Is it possible to tell DDWRT to use 'automatic configuration - DHCP', but force a subnet of 255.255.255.0? I have no idea where it's pulling 255.255.255.255 from?? I've attached a couple of pics of the nighthawk M1 configuration - I'm sure it's configured correctly

I did try disabling DHCP server (basic setup > network setup) with DNSMasq still enabled, but no result from this. I will play a bit more here later though.

Big thanks again.

Hmm do not think so, you can set the nvram variable to define the WAN netmask but that will be over-ridden when the lease renews.

I am on holiday so the brain is a bit sun burnt but we used to have dhcpd for WAN client but now we use udhcp, part of busy box as dhcp client I think.

Maybe when the sun goes down and the brain starts to work I can come up with a a solution but I doubt it.

The problem could well be in your M1 not providing the right netmask, other software maybe ignores that, just a guess.

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Sponsor
ninjadawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi bronc, seems like the issue in my case (maybe yours also) is ddwrt dhcp pulling a subnet mask from the nighthawk M1 of 255.255.255.255 instead of 255.255.255.0. Literally one number breaking things. All other firmware I've tried on both routers (stock, openwrt, xwrt vortex, tomato) work and dhcp the 255.0 subnet. Strangely the M1 is the only modem that has the issue with ddwrt. I've tried other modems like Huawei, ADSL, and Netgear LB120 with ddwrt and all work correctly.

I do like ddwrt as the QoS works excellent for me. I spent some time learning and setting up openwrt and its QoS and got close to ddwrt qos but not quite. Dslreports had similar/same scores, but I can feel the difference in csgo - consistently better with ddwrt. Asus Merlin had ok QoS, and Netgear stock pretty ordinary. Ddwrt and openwrt I can limit guest bandwidth.

I've been searching how to fix the 255.255 issue but no luck so far...

broncosaurs wrote:
ninjadawg, after trying to get this setup to work for over a month I just gave up. Every non netgear router with stock cofig work flawlessly. Just plugged the router into the 4g (passthru) and bam, it works. I ended up with the Linksys WRT1900ACS router. I did not need any of the features of ddwrt the linksys did not have so I never did try the ddwrt on this linksys to see if the 4g would plug into and work. If you find the answer please post. I would love to know what the problem was.
ninjadawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cheers egc for even thinking about it while on your holiday. I'm sure it probably is related to the M1 and not being a true bridge mode? I normally like to search and solve things myself but had to ask this time. I've played with the M1 settings but it's fairly limited option wise and haven't been able to find any helpful configuration.

I'm stuck with a 4G plan for another 6 months before I'll switch to NBN which is new to my area (Australian internet situation really is terrible). The M1 is otherwise a great modem, can pull 100mbs with average signal/reception.

Anyway, have a great holiday!

egc wrote:
ninjadawg wrote:
Great help thankyou! I did notice that as an odd subnet mask, just not odd enough to do something about as still a novice here.

So by setting a Static IP in the WAN connection type with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, internet is working again. Now I'm guessing that when my WAN IP changes (4G connection after all), that I'll need to update my static IP.

Is it possible to tell DDWRT to use 'automatic configuration - DHCP', but force a subnet of 255.255.255.0? I have no idea where it's pulling 255.255.255.255 from?? I've attached a couple of pics of the nighthawk M1 configuration - I'm sure it's configured correctly

I did try disabling DHCP server (basic setup > network setup) with DNSMasq still enabled, but no result from this. I will play a bit more here later though.

Big thanks again.

Hmm do not think so, you can set the nvram variable to define the WAN netmask but that will be over-ridden when the lease renews.

I am on holiday so the brain is a bit sun burnt but we used to have dhcpd for WAN client but now we use udhcp, part of busy box as dhcp client I think.

Maybe when the sun goes down and the brain starts to work I can come up with a a solution but I doubt it.

The problem could well be in your M1 not providing the right netmask, other software maybe ignores that, just a guess.
ninjadawg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a thought. Could plugging in a little network switch between the modem and router possibly work? ie configure the switch for IP passthrough. Hopefully the switch reads the subnet as ..255.0 and passes this through to DDWRT. Maybe not an elegant solution adding hardware. At the moment I've got the M1 and DDWRT both serving DHCP just to make this setup work. So a double NAT situation.
COtto1984
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found this thread via search and am also having the exact same issue. No internet (presumably due to gateway issue). Running one of BS latest builds from last few days.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Another thread discussing this, that I know of:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329158

I don't know if Netgear or the Mobile carrier vendor screwed the pooch somewhere or what. I think part of the key is adjusting the TTL to make it think it's a Windows computer.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
COtto1984
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
I recently updated my router from an old Kong build to a current BS build. How do you see / adjust subnet mask now? In this build, I do not see anyway to manually adjust subnet mask and it does not even show up on status screen as far as what the router is picking up from the modem. On my Kong build, it was picking it up as 255.255.255.255 which I believe is not correct.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
On DD-WRT, on the main setup page, the LAN IP has a /24 ... which is 255.255.255.0

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+subnet+mask+255.255.255.255

Scroll down to "Modifying the TTL"...

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Iptables

It seems these discussions go in circles.

----------------------
COtto1984
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the subnet mask explanation.

I tried the TTL firewall command and it did not work. Based on everything I have read, the only exampled I saw of getting the M1 to work with DD-WRT was to turn DHCP on in the M1 config or configure a static IP with the correct subnet mask in DD-WRT. Obviously neither option is preferred. The next best thing we can hope for us a firmware update for the M1...
COtto1984
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can indeed confirm that if you setup static IP in DD-WRT with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, everything works fine. When I switch back to automatic, it picks subnet mask up as 255.255.255.255 and internet no longer works.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the update. That was something I guess wasn't discussed in the other thread and that I completely missed in this one Embarassed Cool.

----------------------
COtto1984
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is so frustrating that Netgear refuses to fix this issue. I have found tons of references for the issue going back several years. Not sure why, but some routers work fine with the M1. I haven’t found one person that has had success with DD-WRT though, except for the static IP method.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please, need some help with TTL issue (4G LTE modem + R7000)

4G LTE bridged modem + R7000 setup. Issues solved (hope so)

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: