[FIXED][SPLIT] Wrong HDD capacity reported

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Great! One bug fixed. mDNS configuration not a bug. The problem remains NTFS a Windows chkdisk will be required.

Paragon had intended to release open source utilities such as chkntfs on Linux NTFS3 github, that was two years ago.
ntfs-3g ntfsfix can remove "dirty" flag to check disk after reboot but it cannot fix all problems and not a replacement.

"ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs
some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for
the first boot into Windows." So if NTFS drive really has errors, removing check flag will surely shoot your foot off.

Use ext4, a native linux file system. Use a dedicated drive for the router. Do not unplug for other tasks usage or OS.
Never have to worry about a chkdsk after power, reboot, or any situation power failure, kernel lockup or NTFS3 bug.

Read or write ext4 in Windows? https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/#
The free alternatives: https://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/ and http://www.fs-driver.org/ YMMV.
FireStorm@ wrote:
Yeah I am totally happy, that at least some bugs were fixed. Regarding the NTFS chkdsik issue yeah it reamins, although, in past I never had such problem, it came with an firmware update. So maybe there is another bug simply.

Your advice to switch to ext4 is a good one. Nevertheless, I (no I am not stubborn) won't do that as I truly believe there is something else as mentioned above, in past I have used ntfs and several firmware updates for at least 6 months and never had an issue with chkdsk. It occured after a firmware update, so something must have been changed.

by the way I use the command chkdsk /f which takes only a few minutes instead of /r and that ususally does the trick and my router recognise the disk again after a reboot.

"A volume's dirty bit indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because:
The volume is online and it has outstanding changes.
Changes were made to the volume and the computer was shut down before the changes were committed to the disk.
Corruption was detected on the volume.

If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the file system integrity and to attempt to fix
any issues with the volume."

So, any above conditions when an NTFS partition does not unmount properly, cleanly, you will need Windows chkdsk.
NTFS3 driver checks volume dirty flag before partition mount. If marked dirty it will not mount so this is not any bug.

Maybe a previous driver was lenient or did not check dirty bit but this is not correct and can lead to bigger problems.
If Linux had a perfect feature complete or reliable NTFS driver nothing would change, nor anything inherent to NTFS.

Anyway, non-native NTFS file server in Linux is simply bad choice. Would you install Windows on ext4? No, of course.
NTFS support is convenient to connect a drive, transfer and done, but not 24/7 operation. No server would use NTFS.
In the meantime flip a coin during any power off or reboot also wait an eternity for proper NTFS tools or utilities fsck.
Sponsor
FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
blkt wrote:
Great! One bug fixed. mDNS configuration not a bug. The problem remains NTFS a Windows chkdisk will be required.

Paragon had intended to release open source utilities such as chkntfs on Linux NTFS3 github, that was two years ago.
ntfs-3g ntfsfix can remove "dirty" flag to check disk after reboot but it cannot fix all problems and not a replacement.

"ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only repairs
some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for
the first boot into Windows." So if NTFS drive really has errors, removing check flag will surely shoot your foot off.

Use ext4, a native linux file system. Use a dedicated drive for the router. Do not unplug for other tasks usage or OS.
Never have to worry about a chkdsk after power, reboot, or any situation power failure, kernel lockup or NTFS3 bug.

Read or write ext4 in Windows? https://www.paragon-software.com/home/linuxfs-windows/#
The free alternatives: https://www.acc.umu.se/~bosse/ and http://www.fs-driver.org/ YMMV.
FireStorm@ wrote:
Yeah I am totally happy, that at least some bugs were fixed. Regarding the NTFS chkdsik issue yeah it reamins, although, in past I never had such problem, it came with an firmware update. So maybe there is another bug simply.

Your advice to switch to ext4 is a good one. Nevertheless, I (no I am not stubborn) won't do that as I truly believe there is something else as mentioned above, in past I have used ntfs and several firmware updates for at least 6 months and never had an issue with chkdsk. It occured after a firmware update, so something must have been changed.

by the way I use the command chkdsk /f which takes only a few minutes instead of /r and that ususally does the trick and my router recognise the disk again after a reboot.

"A volume's dirty bit indicates that the file system may be in an inconsistent state. The dirty bit can be set because:
The volume is online and it has outstanding changes.
Changes were made to the volume and the computer was shut down before the changes were committed to the disk.
Corruption was detected on the volume.

If the dirty bit is set when the computer restarts, chkdsk runs to verify the file system integrity and to attempt to fix
any issues with the volume."

So, any above conditions when an NTFS partition does not unmount properly, cleanly, you will need Windows chkdsk.
NTFS3 driver checks volume dirty flag before partition mount. If marked dirty it will not mount so this is not any bug.

Maybe a previous driver was lenient or did not check dirty bit but this is not correct and can lead to bigger problems.
If Linux had a perfect feature complete or reliable NTFS driver nothing would change, nor anything inherent to NTFS.

Anyway, non-native NTFS file server in Linux is simply bad choice. Would you install Windows on ext4? No, of course.
NTFS support is convenient to connect a drive, transfer and done, but not 24/7 operation. No server would use NTFS.
In the meantime flip a coin during any power off or reboot also wait an eternity for proper NTFS tools or utilities fsck.

bit rude but okay, it is your way of thinking. Anyway.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I found is that anytime the router reboots the drive isn't unmounted I dont think which may result in this dirty flag being set. Only looking at the code. Tbh not in the mood now especially since I dont use samba or use the router to plug in drives so my motivation is extra low.

SO its up to you to find out which conditions this happens and when, report back and when the mood strikes me Ill look at it.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
What I found is that anytime the router reboots the drive isn't unmounted I dont think which may result in this dirty flag being set. Only looking at the code. Tbh not in the mood now especially since I dont use samba or use the router to plug in drives so my motivation is extra low.

SO its up to you to find out which conditions this happens and when, report back and when the mood strikes me Ill look at it.

I noticed that this happens under two conditions:

I have set a weekly reboot on Monday, so occasionally after a reboot that happens, however, not every time.

The second trigger is when I perform a firmware update, every second (sometimes 3rd) firmware update generates this issue, so after 2-3 firmware updates i have to unplug the drive and perform chkdsk cmd on my windows device.

Hopes your super low motivation is at least in the middle now xD
FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
@the-joker

Have you found any motivation to fix this Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
would be so nice of you Laughing Laughing Laughing
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. I have been busy rewriting the themes to make them much smaller, which now is done, and also optimizing several dynamic HTML quirks and busy with redoing wiviz, so your problem is -100 on any interest scale to me, I dont use any of this ever and have expended valuable time on it to get something resolved.

Don't be upset though, the main issue is resolved fully and your second issue can be solved by using ext4 and installing 3rd party drivers into your Windows to read whatever.

You could always ask for you money back if you're not satisfied Laughing or go ask Bill to make NTFS more resilient, either is as likely as the other.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
So there is this https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/50026 maybe, no idea

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're welcome. I didn't submit the patch, but I will take credit for inquiry about it to the head wizard master himself. Seems we were thinking alike about remounting the filesystems read-only on shutdown/reboot. We'll see how it works out soon enough.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
So there is this https://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/50026 maybe, no idea

So IF I understood it right. With the next build, the READ ONLY solution will be implemented and needs to be tested if it works or not? Am I right?
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2022 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes.

FireStorm@
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 20:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Yes.

Hi it seems working, or let me say it in your own words:

-sudo apt-get "THANK YOU TO @the-joker" Laughing Laughing Laughing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: