IGMP Snooping fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
sumbuddie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 21:29    Post subject: IGMP Snooping fix Reply with quote
From what I can tell, for the following ticket:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6551

the patch/fix was applied for the AR8327 switch.

Was it ever applied to the QCA8337 (which I believe is the AR8337 as identified by swconfig and used in the EA8500 and R7800 and likely others)?

With my EA8500, if I issue the swconfig command:

swconfig dev switch0 set igmp_snooping 1

It seems to crash the switch/router. Works fine with my DIR-862L (has the AR8327 switch).
Sponsor
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:05    Post subject: Re: IGMP Snooping fix Reply with quote
sumbuddie wrote:
From what I can tell, for the following ticket:

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/ticket/6551

the patch/fix was applied for the AR8327 switch.

Was it ever applied to the QCA8337 (which I believe is the AR8337 as identified by swconfig and used in the EA8500 and R7800 and likely others)?

With my EA8500, if I issue the swconfig command:

It seems to crash the switch/router. Works fine with my DIR-862L (has the AR8327 switch).

AR9337 is and QCA9337 is the same chip. after Qualcom bought Atheros, they simply just renamed the chipset. i also checked enabling igmp_snooping, but nothing crashed and i also think it did not crash for you. since this blocks multicast packets you have have another problem in your network? consider also that there is a "per port" setting for igmp snooping. not just globally

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 21:46    Post subject: Re: IGMP Snooping fix Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:

AR9337 is and QCA9337 is the same chip. after Qualcom bought Atheros, they simply just renamed the chipset. i also checked enabling igmp_snooping, but nothing crashed and i also think it did not crash for you. since this blocks multicast packets you have have another problem in your network? consider also that there is a "per port" setting for igmp snooping. not just globally

I will try it again and see what happens.

However, AR83 27 is not the same as AR/QCA83 37 - there are different datasheets for each chip and they're identified individually/accordingly by swconfig (eg. swconfig identifies the DLink DIR-862L with the 27 while the Linksys EA8500 identifies with the 37). The patch/fix applied specifically seems to address the 27 model and not the 37 (not sure if it matters though).

The two chips may be similar enough that it doesn't matter, but I've found some references to differences between the chips (eg. https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/YWLV5mQBtY7bW3cz@Ansuel-xps.localdomain/T/ )
sumbuddie
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Updated to the latest build (08/31/2022 - r50012) and reset and reconfigured settings on my EA8500.

After issuing the swconfig commands on my EA8500 (via SSH):

swconfig dev switch0 set apply

All network traffic grinds to a halt - nothing on the network is accessible.

I DO have IPTV devices on the network. If I don't issue that command (eg. fresh reboot), swconfig does indicate (swconfig dev switch0 show) that igmp_snooping is indeed disabled on the EA8500 switch (uses the AR/QCA8337 chip).

Enabling IGMP_Snooping for the br0 bridge on the networking tab of my EA8500 does appear to function, so enabling it at the switch level appears to be unnecessary.

FWIW, I am able to use the same swconfig command (set igmp_snooping 1) with my DLink DIR-862L without issue (it's got the AR8327 chip, however) and swconfig show command does indicate igmp_snooping IS enabled as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: