Slow download speed in PPPoE mode (via fiber) -Netgear6700v3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
noob01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:26    Post subject: Slow download speed in PPPoE mode (via fiber) -Netgear6700v3 Reply with quote
Hi all,

Recently I replaced my ISP’s modem-router combo with a simple bridge modem (which was also provided by the ISP) in order to use my Netgear as the main router (in PPPoE mode).

The problem is, that the download speed has decreased dramatically. Now the max download speed is around 350-400Mb only, while when my Netgear was configured as an AP (through ISP’s modem-router which handled the PPPoE connection) I received around 800-900Mb via LAN.

I tried to set all ports to full duplex\full speed mode, to no avail.

I know that theoretically, the problem may be with the ISP’s modem, but I would like to be confident enough before I demand to replace the modem.

I have two questions:

a) Is that a known issue with dd-wrt firmwares?

b) Is there anything that can be done? Any relevant settings?

My router is: Netgear 6700v3
My firmware is: DD-WRT v3.0-r49838 (08/23/22)

Thanks in advance ! Smile
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes that is the normal speed for these kind of routers, if you want faster you need a router with a better CPU, My R7800 does about 900 Mb/s (lightly taxed)

However your router has some acceleration, On Setup page: ShortCut Forwarding Engine

You can set this to SFE and it will increase throughput, the maximum throughput is with CTF, CTF+FA which will get you close to 900 Mb/s but that might not be compatible with PPPoE

See: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

Last edited by egc on Wed Aug 24, 2022 13:25; edited 1 time in total
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep, as well PPPoE is taxing router's CPU too, so one more things to add to 'buy a new router-get better results' Cool
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55819 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55779 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
noob01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:
Yes that is the normal speed for these kind of routers, if you want faster you need a router with a better CPU, My R7800 does about 900 Mb/s (lightly taxed)

However your router has some acceleration, On Setup page: ShortCut Forwarding Engine

You can set this to SFE and it will increase throughput, the maximum throughput is with CTF, CTF+FA which will get you close to 900 Mb/s but that might not be compatible with PPPoE

See: https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware

Thanks a lot for your prompt and helpful reply!

I tried to change the settings to SFE/CTF according to the instructions in the link (I had to restore the default settings and use "nvram erase" to see the SFE/CTF options), however, then I could not connect to the internet for some reason (it showed as if I was connected - but no internet was available via LAN/WIFI). I'm not saying it is impossible, but it did not work for me for some reason..

Currency I'm connected to the internet and getting the same 350-400 MB (download), while "Shortcut Forwarding Engine" is enabled (with no options to select from - I guess I need to restore the default settings and use "nvram erase" again to see the options). I will try to play with it again when I have some time.

Thanks again!
noob01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
yep, as well PPPoE is taxing router's CPU too, so one more things to add to 'buy a new router-get better results' Cool

Thanks Alozaros.

I guess a possible solution to the speed issue will be installing Netgear's original Firmware?

By the way, I need to buy another router\AP that works well with dd-wrt and would like to get some recommendations, but I will open a separate thread Smile

Thank you.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
No need to open a thread, just read stickies:

Sticky: What’s the best dd-wrt router to buy in 2021?

Sticky: Router Recommendations for High Wired Performance

Sticky: What Router or Access Point to buy for dd-wrt?

The main issue is that CTF/FA will not work with PPPoE on stock or 3rd party firmware.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
noob01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The main issue is that CTF/FA will not work with PPPoE on stock or 3rd party firmware.

Are you saying that Netgear 6700v3 with stock FW will have the same speed limitations with PPPoE? My understanding was that this is a dd-wrt unique issue..

Thanks for your reply!
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
In short, yes.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: