[Solved] Ad Blocking for "dummies".

Goto page Previous  1, 2
ph1dft
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Joker for your tips, i guess it wont be easy then Sad.
I managed to upgrade the firmware to yesterdays v3.0-r48607 std. I will test my network and homelab and after that will try the steps again with the hope it blocks some ads, if not I will look further.
Sponsor
ph1dft
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I reinstalled the script, but unfortunately still YouTube ads. I see that the script is working because I cannot click on advertisements when I google stuff, the googleadservices is blocked Smile. So some benefits.

Thanks for the help guys!
gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
There are quite a few scattered around the forum. As far as the ones in the wiki, the problem there is that they're quite old, and depend on the older wget utility (rather than curl), which in many cases still doesn't support TLS (e.g., my own ASUS RT-AC68U). And as time has gone by, many of these blacklisting sites have moved from http to https. Plus, there are quite a few other blacklisting sites besides the one(s) typically referenced, some of which now block cryptomining and other annoyances. I don't even know if the urls referenced are current.

FWIW, I have my own script. The urls it uses are based on those found in FT (FreshTomato) 2021.7, so it should be reasonably current. If you use ALL the urls, you'll come close to 240,000 unique domains! Realize the longer the list, the more processing demands it places on DNSMasq.

ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh

What is the command to run in the CLI to determine if the script is active and running correctly?

Thanks
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
gil_happy wrote:
eibgrad wrote:
There are quite a few scattered around the forum. As far as the ones in the wiki, the problem there is that they're quite old, and depend on the older wget utility (rather than curl), which in many cases still doesn't support TLS (e.g., my own ASUS RT-AC68U). And as time has gone by, many of these blacklisting sites have moved from http to https. Plus, there are quite a few other blacklisting sites besides the one(s) typically referenced, some of which now block cryptomining and other annoyances. I don't even know if the urls referenced are current.

FWIW, I have my own script. The urls it uses are based on those found in FT (FreshTomato) 2021.7, so it should be reasonably current. If you use ALL the urls, you'll come close to 240,000 unique domains! Realize the longer the list, the more processing demands it places on DNSMasq.

What is the command to run in the CLI to determine if the script is active and running correctly?

Thanks

The script is active according to the schedule you've setup w/ cron (the script's documentation makes a recommendation). When it runs, it reports the total number of blacklisted domains that were added to DNSMasq in the syslog. You can search for it using the following command.

Code:
grep blacklist /var/log/messages

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
gil_happy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
gil_happy wrote:
eibgrad wrote:

Thanks

The script is active according to the schedule you've setup w/ cron (the script's documentation makes a recommendation). When it runs, it reports the total number of blacklisted domains that were added to DNSMasq in the syslog. You can search for it using the following command.

Code:
grep blacklist /var/log/messages

Great! I have confirmed that it is working. The only thing that I didn't understand was in step '5' of the install. You mention how to edit (using vi), but I didn't see what options you think could be modified?
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
In the Begin/End Options section, there are three (3) of them, including the ability to add/remove URLs, domains you might want to whitelist, and the ability to change the timeout on the curl command.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
G29
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:57    Post subject: Re: [Solved] Ad Blocking for "dummies". Reply with quote
thoase wrote:

... I wounder, which is the newest/best/most-up-to-date script a newbie like me should use? ...

FWIW, you might want to investigate running a Pi-Hole server in conjunction. Pi-Hole's cumulative managed list entries number greater than 5 million ad, telemetry, malware, tracking, etc. sites.

I am running Ad Block Plus (browser level) and Pi-Hole (DNS level), but looking for a good way to move the Ad Block functionality to the entire network level.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: