I Killed the Wireless on a WRT54G2 V1

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
juanWRT54g2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 14:22    Post subject: I Killed the Wireless on a WRT54G2 V1 Reply with quote
Hello all. The dd-wrt release I was using was a little buggy. So I started flashing other releases looking for one that worked for me. In that process of flash and reflash I did "something" (I don't know what) that somehow killed the wireless on the router. It's always off now. No matter what release of dd-wrt I use. I read posts of people having the same problem. They fixed it by repairing a corrupt partition named board_config by copying it from a working router. Unfortunately the instructions given there are a little bit to technical for me. Could someone help me with a step by step on how to do this? I have access to a working WRT54G V8 which I understand is almost the same router but with a different case. There's dd-wrt installed on that one too. I can make a telnet session, but tha'ts as far as I could go. My knowledge of unix or linux is basically non existant. Thank you all.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
These things are prone to overheating, apparently. Probably a good idea to add some kind of cooling mod, after you get the issue sorted out. There's a couple of these threads that I am not going to read through to find what you're referring to about board_config, but output of cat /proc/mtd might help jog my tired brain... please consider linking the posts/thread(s) you read...

WRT54G2 v1.0 - Unable to get WIFI up on any build post 13064

[Fixed] WRT54G2 - Wireless Suddenly Stopped Working

wrt54g2 v1 freezing

WRT54G2 Issues - Advice Please

WRT54G2: Wireless rate drops to 2 Mbps or 1 Mbps

Linksys WRT54G2 now supported

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
juanWRT54g2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks, I will go through these and try again
juanWRT54g2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2022 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well.. I'v managed to screw up over my previous screw up. So now I'm dealing with screw up(squared).

I found these instructions (Reverting via VxWorksRevert)
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G2#Linksys_Firmware_is_VxWorks_OS
to revert back to stock firmware. I know it says they are deprecated but I gave it a shot anyway.

I made it to step 5 and that was it. Now the router is in an unresponsive state. It's not bricked however, cause the front lights show that something (god knows what) has booted. The most curious thing happened by the way... the wireless came back to life. I can see the broadcast with the factory default name "linksys". I can't logon however... when I try, the router reboots itself. And if I try to connect via hardwire it's totally unresponsive.

It's funny... up until recently I kept seeing these prehistoric routers offered online in my area at the 0 to 4 dollar price range. they all seem to be gone now... weird,.. apparently they are in demand. Now I can only find newer (but still old!) generations in the 10 to 30 range. I think I'll go that way and be done with it. I'm looking at a a WRT610N and E3000.. are these good for using dd-wrt?
juanWRT54g2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can I delete this thread? I can't find how to do that.
I'm already up and running with a new router so this thread is now irrelevant.

Thanks
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can lock it for you. Say the word and its done. It can also be hidden from view, but I dont think its warranting a sledgehammer treatment, poor thread may feel lonely and unwanted.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
juanWRT54g2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
I can lock it for you. Say the word and its done. It can also be hidden from view, but I dont think its warranting a sledgehammer treatment, poor thread may feel lonely and unwanted.

word!
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Locked.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: