[SOLVED] [SPLIT] How to use Samba in WRT1900ACS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
saphirely
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:54    Post subject: [SOLVED] [SPLIT] How to use Samba in WRT1900ACS Reply with quote
Execuse me, I wonder how to start using samba in WRT1900ACS (512M) v3.0-r49741 std (08/15/22) Linux 4.9.325 #3364 SMP Mon Aug 15 01:39:34 +07 2022 armv7l?

After I enable Service-USB, Enable Core USB support and Enable USB Storage, Automatic Drive Mount, I can see my USB-HDD btrfs mounted /dev/sda3 on /tmp/mnt/sda3, even in SSH mode, I can mount and confirm it works.

Then Service-NAS, Enable Samba Server, I do not know how to fill in Server String ? Workgroup is WORKGROUP, Connection Limit 8, Access Level:Everyone, MinPV SMB 2.10 MaxPV SMB3.11, Encryption is Off, path /mnd/sda3 suvdir sda3 name btrfs,Public, R/W, and I have enable Services-SAervices->Enable Resolver and Domain name local and Reflector Enable only on br0,

My question is that I can find Samba on DDWRT in EndeavourOS 5.19.1-zen1-1-zen, but cannot anything inside.

My 2nd question is that if format as ZFS, I wonder how much memory free for ZFS ? If any friend know this result.

Thanks a lot.
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello.

The topic where you posted this question was not about how to setup samba, so it was necessary to split it and I took the liberty to add a informative topic title.

I setup a Samba share and is available on all my LAN devices (password protected but doesnt have to be) with the following settings, Android devices, laptops running Linux, My media Center (KODI) also custom Linux based, my Windows 10 desktop all could see that samba share read and write to it.

click for screenshot -> https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=51912

Nothing else was needed.

As for your ZFS question, your guess is as good as anyones guess, we cant make any determination based on what you ask.

My suggestion is if you want to find out and share that information drive size etc before and after formatting, I am sure others may find the information interesting.

Hope this helps some.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
saphirely
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you guideline picture and samba works now.

On my sda3 in btrfs (381MB, but smb displayed totally 1.5T),
Code:

root@DD-WRT:/tmp/mnt/sda3# mount
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/sda1 type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=utf8,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda2 on /tmp/mnt/sda2 type hfsplus (ro,relatime,umask=22,uid=0,gid=0,nls=utf8)
/dev/sda3 on /tmp/mnt/sda3 type btrfs (rw,relatime,noacl,space_cache,subvolid=5,subvol=/)
root@DD-WRT:/tmp/mnt/sda3# df -m
Filesystem           1M-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1                  197         1       196   0% /tmp/mnt/sda1
/dev/sda2               572209    115071    457138  20% /tmp/mnt/sda2
/dev/sda3               381459       243    379168   0% /tmp/mnt/sda3

before starting samba,
Code:

root@DD-WRT:/tmp/mnt/sda3# free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:         511836      180364      238584           0       92888      186724

After smb start,
Code:

root@DD-WRT:/tmp/mnt/sda3# free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
Mem:         511836      180096       95680           0      236060       97816

I have changed my multi linux versions from ext4 to btrfs, and I also think maybe btrfs is good on DDWRT, maybe later I will try to test zfs.

My last question is that if suddenly power trouble or power-off by button on linksys wrt1900acs, is it same like ext4 without data/file lossing?[/code]
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Right, the drive size being wrong if your drive is mounted in Windows with a drive letter, then its a known ksmdb bug. The topic where you originally asked for how to setup samba discusses this issue to detail. If you look at my screenshot above, the drive is 500GB and shows as 1.8TB

Any information pertaining to the HDD capacity bug via smb issue will need to be added and collected in that thread, so lets not mix stuff up, its hard enough keeping track of head and tails and having mixed and buried information all over the place doesn't help anyone trying to get bugs fixed.

Re: free/df -foo

`free` is for free system memory as you know, partition sizes is I prefer to see GB so I use `df -h`, your results are right on both counts via CLI. With `free` since you started smb and that takes resources are reflected correctly.

Re: ZFS vs EXT4 vs BTRFS

ZFS apparently is harder on hardware requirements then EXT4, I never used ZFS or needed it for a particular feature. If you really want to know, you should ask duck https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=ZFS+vs+etx4&ia=web and do some reading on the pros and cons of each.

Google/Duck/<Yourprefhere> are your friends there are good articles on all of those subjects and repeating that info is just bad form.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: