SOLVED ...ea8500 Missing Wireless tab in GUI.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not very wise to use magnets which will interfere with the regular electromagnetic field generated by any current "flowing" normally.
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Serial is the only hope at this point. As shown in mrjcd's guide at the very top:
This is intended to assist you installing DD-WRT on your US Linksys EA8500
if you have Linksys firmware newer than ver 1.1.4.168206.

Also, at the very bottom of mrjcd's guide a link to DD-WRT webrevert by LOM.

A brief search in dd-wrt forums for 1.1.4.168206 reveals the following results:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332339
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1260165#1260138
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1193740#1193735
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1189969#1189958
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1177889#1177722

Unfortunately modern PCB soldering requires experience and steady practice.
Good news, in most cases you can simply manually hold pins header in place.
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you sure your serial parameters are correct? Garbled output usually is a sign of wrong baud rate or something similar.

I didn't solder any pins either on the three I have flashed, and opted to just hold the connections in place with a small weight so I had both hands free. lol

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
ramblin
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
lexridge wrote:
Are you sure your serial parameters are correct?

Yes lex, I`m sure. I tried right after it began working again (on its own, by the way) All I did was go 2 builds back on both partitions and it began working with factory firmware. Even tested it for a day. When I hooked up the serial it was garbled after that. Who knows if I ever got back to DD-WRT it may be missing the wireless tab again. I have soldered the header so many times I may have burned up something myself. The serial output is corrupt. It doesn't look like anything I`ve seen before, and its there even with only 1 wire and the power shut off. Its a hardware issue thats been there. I got it for free. (the seller replaced it). It might make a good factory router for someone. I`ll give it to someone needy. I`m bidding on others now. Thanks for all your help.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
ramblin wrote:
lexridge wrote:
Are you sure your serial parameters are correct?

Yes lex, I`m sure. I tried right after it began working again (on its own, by the way) All I did was go 2 builds back on both partitions and it began working with factory firmware. Even tested it for a day. When I hooked up the serial it was garbled after that. Who knows if I ever got back to DD-WRT it may be missing the wireless tab again. I have soldered the header so many times I may have burned up something myself. The serial output is corrupt. It doesn't look like anything I`ve seen before, and its there even with only 1 wire and the power shut off. Its a hardware issue thats been there. I got it for free. (the seller replaced it). It might make a good factory router for someone. I`ll give it to someone needy. I`m bidding on others now. Thanks for all your help.

Understood. I wrongly assumed since your lack of Linux experience, that you had no hardware experience as well. My bad. That's on me and sorry about that.

Could very well be that you fried something when soldering. However in this case, I would think you would get nothing. No garbled at all, absolutely nothing. It data is showing up (garbled or not), something else has to be wrong.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
ramblin wrote:
snip...Sits on the table like a tripod with a few magnets on the end for weight. Clip on a jumper. Still got garbled output with it turned off. snip...

Like I said dont use magnets anywhere near "flowing" current if you dont understand electromagnetism and electric fields especially.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe use a different USB to TTL serial adapter. I have this: DTECH FT232RL 3.3v 3 pin (Amazon, eBay).
Never had to disconnect ground before power on for EA8500 with DTECH FTDI cable so something to try.

Other common chips than FTDI: the drivers SiLabs CP2102 and Prolific PL2303 series (Windows, macOS).
Something else to check than driver: COM port settings, speed or baud rate bits per second 115200 8N1.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: