Netgear WAC-124 reset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Gromitd90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 15:16    Post subject: Netgear WAC-124 reset Reply with quote
I posted feedback after upgrading a WAC-124 to r49626 on the New Build thread. It would appear that my issue is not related to that release as I have reverted back to r49567 which did work previously on this box and the issue persists after roll back.
I have another WAC-124 running r49567 without any problems.

Basically the issue is that I cannot create more than 1 VAP on the wlan1 interface. I can create it but the whole wlan1 interface disappears on the device. You can see more details on my other post.

I have tried an nvram erase && reboot several times. I have tried a hard reset on the router with the reset button. I even tried a 30-30-30 reset using the reset button. All to no avail.

The strange thing is that when I telnet into the box after a reset without having made any configuration changes to factory defaults, then if I do an nvram show I still see references to vlans I had created on earlier configs as well as hardware references to wlan1.1 and wlan1.2. I would have thought an nvram erase would have cleared all of those.

Is this expected?

Can anyone suggest what I might try to get this box back to a completely fresh reset state to see if that addresses my problem?

Thanks
Mike
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 15:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
What method did you actually use, were you using nvram set commands? If so, you will probably have to do an nvram unset of those parameters, then do reset. Keep in mind, however, there are some parameters that are defaults by design which may not be able to be removed, etc.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Gromitd90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I wasn't using any direct nvram set commands. The only nvram commands I have used are erase and show.
Prior to trying to reset the device and start from scratch I was using the following firewall script (a similar script runs on my other WAC-124 without issue ) :

swconfig dev switch0 set reset 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "6t 0 2 3 4"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 3 set ports "6t 1 4t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 5 set ports "6t 4t"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 100 set ports "6t 4t"
vconfig set_name_type VLAN_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD
swconfig dev switch0 set apply
brctl delif br0 wlan1.1
brctl delif br0 wlan0.1
brctl delif br0 wlan1.2
vconfig add eth0 3
ifconfig vlan3 up
brctl addbr br1
brctl addif br1 vlan3
brctl addif br1 wlan1.1
ifconfig br1 up
vconfig add eth0 100
ifconfig vlan100 up
brctl addbr br2
brctl addif br2 vlan100
brctl addif br2 wlan0.1
ifconfig br2 up
vconfig add eth0 5
ifconfig vlan5 up
brctl addbr br3
brctl addif br3 vlan5
brctl addif br3 wlan1.2
ifconfig br3 up
ifconfig br1 192.168.3.254 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig br2 192.168.100.254 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig br3 192.168.5.254 netmask 255.255.255.0
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Some, if not all, of those commands do add nvram variables by design, if I am not completely mistaken. IOW, they 'nvram set' them. Reading elsewhere, there have been changes to how VLAN interface names are handled, named, etc. so there may be a conflict if you are not performing some of these functions via the webUI vs. via script. Such is the way of ongoing development, documentation and methods to do configurations may change at a moment's notice. Sorry I have no definite answer for you, perhaps Per Yngve Berg will see this thread and offer further assistance.

----------------------
Gromitd90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the feedback. So am I right in understanding that an nvram erase command does NOT actually erase all of nvram but only selected portions and that other (unspecified?) portions have to be erased explicitly?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's probably more a matter of your script re-setting these nvram variables on boot or the variables remaining because they have been "nvram set". So, your understanding is "correct" in a sense. You should consider adding your VAPs and bridges as well as assigning interfaces to bridges via webUI after you have configured your vlans via swconfig.

----------------------
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gromitd90 wrote:
Thank you for the feedback. So am I right in understanding that an nvram erase command does NOT actually erase all of nvram but only selected portions and that other (unspecified?) portions have to be erased explicitly?

nvram erase/clear will erase all nvram variables except those needed to keep device in a working order, and on reboot the system init files will restore default property + values to each preset nvram property for your device.

If you are running a current DD-WRT build type nvram on terminal to see a detailed explanation, albeit worded in a somewhat germaglish manner.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Gromitd90
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 15:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well I guess I'm at an impasse with this one. I disconnected the device from my home network and reset it with only a laptop connected to one of the LAN ports. Following the reset I logged in from the laptop using telnet and issued a nvram erase && reboot command.

So my device should now be as close as possible to factory settings.

If I then login to the GUI I see the router is reset and is in router mode, no VAPs and no VLANs (and no script!). If I check the Setup Networking tab I see that wlan0 and wlan1 are both connected to br0 in the Current Bridging Table.

If I login again via telnet and run an ipconfig command I see that both wlan0 and wlan1 are UP.

If the only configuration change I make is to add a VAP to wlan1 - Apply Settings and repeat looking at the Networking Tab and run the ifconfig command again. I now see the wlan1.1 interface.

If I now add a second VAP and Apply Settings then the entire wlan1 interface and its VAPs disappear in both the Networking Tab and in the ifconfig command.

Any suggestions for getting any further?

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: