WRT3200ACM Tag VLAN2 on PORT4, So WAN has an IP address

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
calgarywifi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 19:01    Post subject: WRT3200ACM Tag VLAN2 on PORT4, So WAN has an IP address Reply with quote
Hi there,
Upgrading from Asus AC68 Single CPU Router that supports GUI Switch Config to WRT3200ACM.

In WRT3200ACM, Im currently using Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r49671 (08/09/22)

Im using a single cable to PORT 4 (the actual port number)

To get a WAN ip address I have to tag port 4 as VLAN2
On single CPU routers like the n66u ac68 etc i just check that off in switch config.
I also need VLAN2 passthrough on port 1-4

I read through hours and hours and could not figure out what 6t 0t, 1 ,2 ,3 4 applies to what port.

This is what i came up to no avail...
Code:

swconfig dev switch0 set reset 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "0 1 2 3 4 5"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set ports "4t 5t"
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

vconfig set_name_type VLAN_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD

vconfig add eth1 1
vconfig add eth1 2

ifconfig vlan1 up
ifconfig vlan2 up

brctl addif br1 vlan1
brctl addif br2 vlan2

(stopservice wan;startservice wan) 2>&1 | logger -t startup[$$]

that of course did not work. NO VLAN2 pass-through nor a WAN ip address.
I was reluctant to make a post with all the info on this site but Im also hoping this could help others as the port layout data (0,1,2,3,5,6, 6t,0t) info are no where to be found. thank you in advance!

Working example to get an idea visually from my "old" router AC68u

References:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=321375
VLANs on two-CPU WRT routers: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=317199
Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=309654
Sponsor
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sorry, I answered this in the necrothread https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1269166#1269166 before I spotted this one!
2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
calgarywifi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
Sorry, I answered this in the necrothread https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1269166#1269166 before I spotted this one!

thank you, I did read all of your posts that i could find and through trial and error i didnt get anywhere .

i will give your code and reply a try now. Thank you .

All im trying to do is allow port 1-4 to pass vlan2 (it does with factory DD-wrt default firmware installed fresh) then TAG port 4 and make the router take a WAN Ip address from tagged port 4.

I was going to PM u but iwas reluctant as u put a lot of time into this already .
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
calgarywifi wrote:
All im trying to do is allow port 1-4 to pass vlan2 (it does with factory DD-wrt default firmware installed fresh) then TAG port 4 and make the router take a WAN Ip address from tagged port 4.

I'm sorry but I don't think I answered anything related at all to what you asked. The obvious problem is that I don't have a clue what you mean by the above. Are you trying to use port 4 as your WAN? Why? And what does it mean to pass a vlan? You mean that vlan2 comprises ports 1-4? IIRC that can't be, as the router assumes vlan2 is only the WAN port. What is the larger story of what you are actually trying to do? Sometimes standing back to get a big picture is really helpful.

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
calgarywifi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
SurprisedItWorks wrote:
calgarywifi wrote:

I'm sorry but I don't think I answered anything related at all to what you asked. The obvious problem is that I don't have a clue what you mean by the above. Are you trying to use port 4 as your WAN? Why? And what does it mean to pass a vlan? You mean that vlan2 comprises ports 1-4? IIRC that can't be, as the router assumes vlan2 is only the WAN port. What is the larger story of what you are actually trying to do? Sometimes standing back to get a big picture is really helpful.

Well thank you i really appreciate your help. I really tried to make it as clear as possible. forgive me.

Currently I have a AC68U, with a Single Ethernet cable on port4, I just check the options below in the image and the AC68 automatically gets WAN ip address just by checking VLAN2 tagging. IT allows me to access the AC68 via LAN as well.

Im just trying to do the exact same thing with the WRT3200ACM. Im upgrading because it has two CPU and im using it as OpenVPN server. I did try OpenWRT, I got VLAN2 working right away from Port4 (with vlan2 pass-through tagged on 1-4 ports) but the openvpn TAP on OpenWRT is a nightmare.

So I switched back to dd-wrt on the wrt3200acm after you replied. Thank you

This was my last attempt, it ended up with no access via wifi or ethernet.

Code:
#split the LAN on the port 6 cpu into eth1 (untagged) and vlan2 (tagged)
  swconfig dev switch0 set reset 1
  swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
  #vlans 1 and 2 connect eth1 and eth0 to the correct ports
    swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "6t 0 1 2 3"
    swconfig dev switch0 vlan 2 set ports "6 5 4"
  #a new vlan 3 interface will handle any remaining ports
   ##swconfig dev switch0 vlan 3 set ports "6t 0"
  swconfig dev switch0 set apply
  vconfig set_name_type VLAN_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD
  vconfig add eth1 2
  vconfig add eth0 1
ifconfig vlan1 up
ifconfig vlan2 up
brctl addif br1 vlan2

(stopservice wan;startservice wan) 2>&1 | logger -t startup[$$]
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
@calgarywifi

The RT-AC68U is a Broadcom. You are posting in the wrong forum.
The examples you see in this forum (Marvell) does not apply to Broadcom.
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, you are asking about the WRT3200ACM, so this forum is fine. But the GUI tab "Switch Config" does not apply at all to these Marvell-hardware WRT routers. You must NOT use it. That page is for Broadcom-based routers like the Asus one you were using before. All VLAN matters on the WRT... must be handled with the sorts of swconfig commands we've been discussing.

However, is this whole discussion actually about setting up a tagged PPPoE WAN connection to your ISP? For that see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=331916 (the WRT1200AC discussed there is an ancestor of your WRT3200ACM in the same line) or search the forums for similar. I'm pretty sure WAN-tagged PPPoE has nothing to do with explicitly setting up VLANs, and there is no reason to use port 4. This WAN tagging topic has been discussed many times in the forums, so it should be easy enough to find more discussion. I've never paid close attention to those WAN-tagging posts, because I've never had an ISP that used tagging, so I'm not much help on the details.

the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
@calgarywifi

Perhaps you need a cup of coffee or your chosen wake up juice. The op as I quoted above upgraded from broadcom to marvell, so he is in correct forum.

calgarywifi wrote:
Hi there,
Upgrading from Asus AC68 Single CPU Router that supports GUI Switch Config to WRT3200ACM.

The only thing I have to say to the @calgarywifi is the asus rt-ac68U is not single core, OK its not 1.8Ghz like the WRT3200ACM, so it is an upgrade anyway.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
calgarywifi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
@calgarywifi

Pardon me, I am using the AC68 Visual Diagram of the switch so one can understand me better for what iam trying to do with the VLAN commands. Yes the switch config does not apply to the WRT3200ACM /Marvell/MVEBU
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is an error in your swconfig commands.

Port 0 is untagged in both vlan1 and vlan3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: