[SOLVED] Upgrading from Kongac build on R7000

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
site_ml
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:56    Post subject: [SOLVED] Upgrading from Kongac build on R7000 Reply with quote
So I've been looking to finally upgrade the firmware on my Netgear R7000, and I just wanted to ask if there's anything in particular that I should watch out for before I pull the trigger.

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (04/16/14) kongac - build 23900M
Kernel Version Linux 3.10.25 #857 SMP PREEMPT Wed Apr 16 23:05:01 CEST 2014 armv7l

My current plan is to factory reset through the web GUI (got pale moon specifically for this), then flash the latest build; I am looking to get CTF+FA due to my recent modem and service upgrade trying to push 600mbps that the router is clearly struggling with.

Since this is a major upgrade, should I do a factory defaults reset through web GUI after flash as well?

I have a backup RT-N10+ should things really take a dump, but I'd rather simply just get it right the first time lol.

Any pointers much appreciated in advance.
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
You can Factory Defaults before flashing. During webUI flash leave dropdown option alone, so keep it Do not Reset.
After success do same Factory Defaults tab menu again or Telnet/SSH as username root to nvram erase && reboot.

It is more important to start over clean after verifying a successful flash, but it is safe option to do it before as well.
Then you can go about manually configuring the router. There is also CLI Flash method, as shown in builds threads.

Worst case scenario, you can always recover with nmrpflash. recommended browsers, troubleshooting, dd-wrt, etc.

Last edited by blkt on Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:16; edited 3 times in total
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello and welcome to the forums.

Yes you will need to do a factory reset after the firmware upgrade and reconfigure from scratch.

You will also need to force clear the browser cache with CTRL+F5 for all the browsers you use for accessing the Web interface, the interface has had many changes and old stale cached anything will cause issues.

The current and latest firmware is at http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-13-2022-r49681/netgear-r7000/

As for your ISP service upgrade, you dont need CTF & FA strickly speaking, that is for Gigabit WAN only. CTF should work for 600Mbps, so try CTF only first.

If CTF for some reason wont do it and you need to enable CTF & FA, note that, it will require two reboots once you click Apply. One reboot, enables the relevant modules and the other enables the in SoC dedicated acceleration chip for FA.

That is it. Good luck.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
site_ml
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the speedy reply, that was my impression, too, based on reading up posts by others - to leave that after flashing option at "don't reset".

I was just wondering if there were any other considerations; if not, I'll post here once "on the other side" Smile I'll probably opt for the factory defaults GUI side of things. While I have some familiarity with SSH due to my file server boxes, I'd rather not risk fat fingering a funny into the main gateway/router lol.

Edit: Just saw your reply Joker, you ninja'd me while I was replying haha... Thanks for the note on CTF. Duly noted!

Again, thanks for the speedy reply!

(last edit for now: About to reset to factory, so won't be able to read here until back)
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Added links first reply, build r49681 & nmrpflash recovery which is always available to flash factory-to-dd-wrt.chk.
Also linked above a list of portable browsers you can set to never remember history and never worry about cache.
Otherwise for webUI or CLI flash use netgear-r7000-webflash.bin, factory defaults or nvram erase and good to go.
site_ml
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
After a few nailbiting minutes (and what appeared to be a couple of reboot cycles by the router) flash was successful!

Time for the good, the bad and the ugly:

The good:
Router Model Netgear R7000
Firmware Version DD-WRT v3.0-r49681 (08/13/22)
Kernel Version Linux 4.4.302-st20 #6903 SMP Sat Aug 13 08:30:07 +07 2022 armv7l

The bad:
While it is technically on the good side because the speed did improve, I got an increase from 320-ish to only 430 Mbps. So yes, the speed is better, but not quite what I was hoping for.

The ugly:
My initial foray through the settings saw me eyeing "CTF" and other bits that were available, but I wanted to make sure everything was looking good and initial settings after reset to factory defaults were good too. After testing the speed at 430mbps, I came back to the settings page to realize the CTF options got reduced to an enable/disable for Shortcut Forwarding Engine. What am I missing here to enable CTF?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
You will need a few reboots to see all the options, as the-joker mentioned.
the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
See attachment

You can try CTF as shortcut Flow Acceleration only and Flow Acceleration disabled

After that you click apply and reboot for good measure.

IF speeds dont improve then enable CTF as flow acceleration, apply and reboot.

wut.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.63 KB
 Viewed:  1162 Time(s)

wut.gif

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

site_ml
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you both.

The dropdowns had disappeared on me, which is what I was confused about. I went into Administration and rebooted and the dropdows reappeared. I actually only changed the first dropdown to CTF and left FA disabled. I hit apply and clocked in at 714 Mbps somehow! Sheesh Very Happy

I may play with these a bit to see what works best (there will be port forwarding going on, so we'll see), but for now I'll say this was easier than I was readying for lol. I'll try to check in later (a week or two's worth of uptime after everything is configured) to let you know how it's all handling.

Again, all the help is much appreciated!
the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, and now you will notice that CTF and port forwarding needs a special setup and QoS will also be problematic or non existent depending on CTF/CTF & FA

CTF and CTF & FA have many caveats since they bypass many traffic shaping and firewalls to do the job they do.

Last edited by the-joker on Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:52; edited 1 time in total
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
You should really try CTF+FA will get you to almost 900 Mb/s
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
the-joker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
egc wrote:

With a 600Mbps ISP service?

egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
egc wrote:

With a 600Mbps ISP service?

Of course not but FA is the hardware acceleration so it frees up the CPU for other things.

The goodies are there so why not use it Smile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
site_ml
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Lol I would love to reach 900mbps on a 600mbps service; my shock at 714mbps was the fact that that's over 100mbps faster than I should be getting. As far as QoS, I don't need it. Port forwarding hopefully will not fail, as it's a must for me... we'll see what happens. Worst case scenario I'll have to stomach a speed penalty, but it will still be faster than I had with the ancient firmware I was running lol.

Once again, thanks for all the help, and I'll pop back in here with any further comments down the road (though probably not tonight anymore, unless exciting things happen haha). Things are pretty exciting out here Very Happy

Edit: I've entered all my port forwards and range forwards and it all appears to be working!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: