[SOLVED] No internet when changing modems...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 22:48    Post subject: [SOLVED] No internet when changing modems... Reply with quote
I got a Nighthawk R7800 running v3.0-r44719 from 11/4/20.

Well, here's the kicker. My old modem wad an Arris combo EMTA (telephony). Everything's running fine, well. I still have it, for telephone only. So it's not connected to the router.

Well, I got a new internet only, faster speed allowances modem only.

So here's the kicker, AFAIK... this shouldn't be happening unless I'm missing a weird ass setting.

But disconnecting the old arris, and then connecting the new one w faster speed allowances. I have no internet. But go back to old modem it's just fine.

But I can jack the back of the new modem w a laptop and get internet just fine. Also confirmed the cables 110% good. So what gives w internet dropping just by switching modems ?!?

I've legit never had or heard of this issue.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello

so here is something you should read https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326419 up and including to I'm not running the the latest DD-WRT build

Thanks.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are the LAN IP addresses of old and new router different and does the LAN IP address of the new router conflict with the LAN IP address of DD-WRT? IOW, does you new router have a LAN IP address of 192.168.1.x for example? If so, then you need to change the LAN IP address in DD-WRT to something else like 192.168.2.x.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Hello

so here is something you should read https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=326419 up and including to I'm not running the the latest DD-WRT build

Thanks.
Dude really, if you'd even bothered to look my router up. You'd see it is latest... k, thx bye !

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Are the LAN IP addresses of old and new router different and does the LAN IP address of the new router conflict with the LAN IP address of DD-WRT? IOW, does you new router have a LAN IP address of 192.168.1.x for example? If so, then you need to change the LAN IP address in DD-WRT to something else like 192.168.2.x.
Router is the same. I think what was missed in what I posted. Was that the cable modem is what changed.

The box from the ISP that connects to my router running DDWRT.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
MoreBloodWine wrote:
Dude really, if you'd even bothered to look my router up. You'd see it is latest... k, thx bye !

r44719 is not the latest that is 2 years old, current is http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-10-2022-r49677/netgear-r7800/ and you're missing lots of information.

Thanks and be well.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
MoreBloodWine wrote:

r44719 is not the latest that is 2 years old, current is http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-10-2022-r49677/netgear-r7800/ and you're missing lots of information.

Thanks and be well.
Based on the download page I looked at 3 weeks ago for R7 800 if you really want me to dig it up. I am running the latest.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
In addition to what I was saying. Or I should say to clarify what I was saying, both modems. The Box from the service provider that connects to my router, provide Internet. But only one seems to provide Internet to the router.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are talking about router databases, then no you are not running the latest, the link provided shows you the current.

The latest is 08-10-2022-r49677 a 4 day old build, not 2 years old.

Please consult Official Forum Guidelines...How to get help the right way and then for good measure read Official Forum Rules.

Last edited by the-joker on Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:59; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, to correct a slight misunderstanding here, 44719 is not the latest build, it is the router database's "latest build" which isn't up to date, whatsoever.

Current releases may be found via release threads in the forum, e.g.:

New Build - 08/10/2022 - r49677

-OR-

via the download server locations, e.g.:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Now, to clear up the other misunderstanding, you are not checking the information I inquired about, which is the difference in both ISP-provided routers' LAN IP addresses and if the new ISP router's LAN IP address *conflicts* with the DD-WRT LAN IP address. Please take a moment to re-read my previous post with some clarity. Thanks.

----------------------
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Ok, to correct a slight misunderstanding here, 44719 is not the latest build, it is the router database's "latest build" which isn't up to date, whatsoever.

Current releases may be found via release threads in the forum, e.g.:

New Build - 08/10/2022 - r49677

-OR-

via the download server locations, e.g.:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/

Now, to clear up the other misunderstanding, you are not checking the information I inquired about, which is the difference in both ISP-provided routers' LAN IP addresses and if the new ISP router's LAN IP address *conflicts* with the DD-WRT LAN IP address. Please take a moment to re-read my previous post with some clarity. Thanks.
I'll give it a good read in a bit. But it's your use of ISP router that is fracking with my head. Because I own my router. What the ISP provides is just a modem with no router capabilities. It's a single line ethernet that connects to my router to open my home to the internet.

Ty for the other clarification as well, I tip my hat to you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, slight change of plans. I'll reflash my router tomorrow with the actual latest. My apologies for being a hard ass, but I really do deal with a bunch of well... let's just say dumb people.

But in any event, I'm going to reflash my router tomorrow. Then re attempt this new modem from my ISP tomorrow & work from there accordingly.

Ty gentleman !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Weirdly enough, I think after I download the file to my laptop. I'm going to connect the new modem & reflash the router from there, with it connected.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're in the USA, there aren't many ISPs that provide equipment that doesn't have an associated wifi router built-in, except maybe for fiber optic. The other issue may be that if it is with the same ISP, they may still have your R7800 associated with the other device and you may have to power down the "modems" for up to 5 minutes for their system to clear. Worst case is you contact your ISP to see if it is something on their end (good luck with that!). Of course, as always, all specific details to a gnat's ass accuracy may help us see your side of the screen. We're not in the business of having superpowers.

----------------------
MoreBloodWine
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If you're in the USA, there aren't many ISPs that provide equipment that doesn't have an associated wifi router built-in, except maybe for fiber optic. The other issue may be that if it is with the same ISP, they may still have your R7800 associated with the other device and you may have to power down the "modems" for up to 5 minutes for their system to clear. Worst case is you contact your ISP to see if it is something on their end (good luck with that!). Of course, as always, all specific details to a gnat's ass accuracy may help us see your side of the screen. We're not in the business of having superpowers.
It is from the same ISP, and since you brought it up and I suppose I could have mentioned it. I actually specifically requested the non Wi-Fi integration because I've always had pain in the ass issues with them peris with them. This way I like to control my own router just having to worry about the motive aspect from them. And not any Built-in integration bullshit which sometimes has welcome hardware integration errors on the actual item itself.

I'll still make sure to give your previously posted information a good read tomorrow, but I think before I call it at night tonight. I will at least Flash my router. But yeah, the quick n' skinny is non Wi-Fi integrated modem only. Going from cable line to my router. Same thing with the old modem. Just different modem. Well style.

Conneaut lake PA 16316 USA, Armstrong one wire

Navigation

Jump to: