Changing channel width on one interface results in both

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
awrightus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 20:56    Post subject: Changing channel width on one interface results in both Reply with quote
Asus RT-AC87U running r49599. I had the channel width set to the default/20 MHz on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz interfaces. I set the 5 GHz interface to Wide HT40. It took and I'm getting better performance on 5 Ghz. However, using Wifi Analyzer, I'm seeing that my 2.4 GHz interface is now using a 40 MHz channel, where it definitely previously showed 20. The web gui still shows the 2.4 GHz interface is configured for 20, but Wifi Analyzer shows it using 40. Any clues?
Sponsor
awrightus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Even though the channel width was set to 20 MHz in the gui, I tried toggling it to 40, and back to 20, rebooting each time. Nothing seemed to make a difference, I was still using 40 MHz at 2.4. I thought there might be a disparity between the nvram variable setting and what the gui was showing, yet "nvram show" definitely indicated wl0_nbw=20. I ended up installing the latest firmware, r49677, just for fun and wouldn't you know, suddenly I was back to 20 MHz on the 2.4 interface, while I was still using 40 on the 5 interface. So I thought maybe it was just something in the older firmware, driver, or whatever changed. Thinking it was fixed...now this morning, I see I'm somehow magically back to 40 MHz on the 2.4 interface. Weird. Just some thoughts in case someone else runs across this.
awrightus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
For anyone who's interested. I don't think changing the channel width on my 5 Ghz interface had anything to do with the 2.4 Ghz interface changing to 40. It randomly changes from 20 to 40 throughout the day. Ultimately, I settled on an 80 Mhz channel width on the 5 Ghz interface, and left the 2.4 Ghz interface at 20. But using Wifi Analyzer (Android app), I can see the 2.4 Ghz interface changing from 20 to 40, and back, throughout the day. Would be nice if it just stayed at 20, because I have a lot of 2.4 congestion in my neighborhood. But oh well.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sounds more like you have set the channel width for 2,4GHz interface to dynamic (20/40Mhz) and not to 20Mhz.
awrightus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. But not entirely sure if what you're describing is even a thing. Is that controlled somewhere else that I'm not seeing?

wl0.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.28 KB
 Viewed:  905 Time(s)

wl0.PNG

ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
No the option is available for various routers in the dropdown menu "Channel width".

20 Mhz
20/40 Mhz
40 Mhz

I can not see what is offered there.
But the "Dynamic" function is mentioned in the Wiki.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Basic_Wireless_Settings#Channel_Width

Maybe the analyzer also shows nonsense, I don't know.
itwontbewe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
leaving auto for channel causes issues on some routers. use 1, 6 or 11
awrightus
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I fixed the channel to 1, and the width has stayed at 20.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: