Forums HTML/CSS Fixes - Feedback thead

the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 13:20    Post subject: Forums HTML/CSS Fixes - Feedback thead Reply with quote
So recently I started doing more CSS fixes to the forums stylesheet, with past fixes these amount to the following (more or less):

Credits to @brainslayers for helping with the many HTML fixes, I dont have the keys to that kingdom.

* Attachment picture sizes no longer apply, but keep MiB per file to minimum
    * Layout breakages due to some user posted content (including posted content in text that flies out of bounds or breaks some container width causing it to fly out of bounds.
    * Code blocks fixes, which include rendering content in a monospace font.
    * With the assistance of one and only brainslayer to fix some HTML for some forums pages.
    * Fix some forums HTML styling by overriding via CSS.
    * Fix invalid HTML open/close and missing/extra double quotes which generated invalid HTML.
    * Change font colors in default CSS to make text/background WCAG compliant.
    * Stretch table width="928" to 969 to use full available width on boards.
    * Double FORUM word on "DD-WRT Forum Index"
    * Double Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... Next is gone finally
    * Made the input textarea for posting wider and prevented horizontal resizing so layouts are not broken.
    * Other sundry of small fixes.

Now its possible with recent changes that some breakages may occur, and however unlikely these are, we need your help to find and document them and fix them ASAP.

Note: You may want to clear your browser cache on any issues you encounter CTRL+F5 if it doesn't help provide info requested below.

So to this end I will need without exception:

* Link to page with issue.
* screenshot that highlights the issue

What this thread is not about and should not be discussed at this time

* Upgrading the forums PHPBB or databases.
* Upgrading/fixing any frontend/backend related to DD-WRT web presence projects e.g. wiki.

Thank you all in advance for your cooperation and understanding.

PS: Bugfix

* 11/08/2022 top menu collapse on scroll reported by @blkt

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)

Last edited by the-joker on Thu Sep 01, 2022 17:01; edited 4 times in total
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
The ongoing header problem in the wiki. Supported Devices wiki, for example. When you click on a vendor name, it puts you in a place where the proper point is not visible.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices#Accton

Same problem in the forum. For example, this link should pull up @danielwritesback's post with links due to the quick links being previously broken and it does not, because of the page header.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1151975#1151975

Just remember, being a person of action will get you input, criticism, and things that may not be pleasant and the only way to avoid that is to change your tone, be a little humble, or just not bother so much with it. Sage advise from my father to his daughter.
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
None of those are new issues caused by recent changes and they have been placed on a todo list, the wiki fixes were minor and at best cosmetic and will not address the reported issues which are same cause.

Your feedback like everyone else's is always welcome, I sent you a PM for everything else which is unwarranted.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
The gap between lines increased at least a few pixels, too, or am I mistaken?

I updated the testing results for my devices a few minutes ago and was always thinking "did the layout change somehow?", "Did I mess with zoom level?".

Over the last 10 years, I became so used to this layout --> Thank you and Brainslayer for your efforts and keeping this forum alive Smile
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
It may have increased as a side effect of the HTML fixes, but I cant see any difference and have definitely made no such changes, I will try to see what a busy post looks like and if possible decrease it and use standard values.

A quick look #content has a line-height of 16px and adding units to this value can vary behavior on browsers/OS's.

If you have a comparison screenshot highlighting any areas please share, I dont necessarily see or can test all scenarios/browsers.

Also clearing browser cache is recommended CTRL+F5 usually does it.

And you're welcome the efforts are to try and fix some bugs I found when doing my forums theme and only took two years to get through the todo list to get here.

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Noticed line spacing, here is LOM's thread, files for reverting from DD-WRT to stock firmware.
https://web.archive.org/web/20220614191144/https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85237
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=85237

recommended browsers, troubleshooting, dd-wrt, etc. (swear I did not make the captures lol)
https://web.archive.org/web/20220523184945/https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330290&start=45
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=330290&start=45
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is this a deal breaker the line height thing?

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
<shrug> I thought was intentional for readability, but didn't bother searching archives until someone else noticed.

Top banner scroll behavior is now static, elements no longer hide, Imprint Privacy Policy links do not move up left.
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
@the-joker:

No! No dealbreaker for me.
Everything fine, just noticed it and wanted to know if going insane, or something changed for real.

Will take some time to get used to it (same as increased font size in GUI a few weeks ago Wink) but no problem at all.
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
<shrug> I thought was intentional for readability, but didn't bother searching archives until someone else noticed.

Top banner scroll behavior is now static, elements no longer hide, Imprint Privacy Policy links do not move up left.

The HTML was fixed so whatever was being generated before broke with the design so some things now behave differently despite the respective CSS remaining untouched, like fixed behaviors as the whole header_wrap encompasses everything that is fixed.

You are right, perhaps one of the HTML fixes changed the parameters of the JavaScript that handled this, so need to ask BS what he did, this was attached to navigation_minimized and if you see the HTML sources you will see the HTML but the JavaScript doesnt seem to have any effect for some reason.

The line height is a side effect of the HTML being fixed, so the CSS line-height values take as intended originally.

@Zyxx thanks, if it were a deal breaker it wouldn't be hard to tweak.

Ideally for readability it would be nice to increase font sizes I feel 11px in 2022 is a little on the squint side, but the idea is to first squash issues and then see if the overall experience can be improved.

To change old things like they were intended and improve certain things, both wiki/forums and main dd-wrt.com would need to be done like e.g. the bugs dale reported, but sadly cant even start on that for the foreseeable future.

Fixing blatant issues is different than being hired or told by other powers that be that its OK to alter their designs. And I cant pester BS endlessly to fix HTML issues I report. I think hes been quite accommodating and helpful thus far, so have no complaints.

So manage expectations as there are current hard limits, but If I can on my standalone theme which is independent, I can do whatever I like within reason and even make some behaviors optional forums side, my standalone themes while still quite restricted to on some areas on how they can be tweaked, much can happen still.

All the fixes that come to forums CSS side they have been tried and tested on my standalone themes, like DD-WRT stuffs, it was all tried and tested.

the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2022 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a working fix for the current forums message link offset on my standalone theme, will push a release tomorrow, its done optionally enabled by default, something @dale reported.

As for fix live in forums is too early to tell, needs fire testing. Of course it wont work on vanilla forums when the header goes back to self hiding on scroll, it will work only in my theme because I can if/else the code out, regular CSS doesn't support if statements.

Anyway too early to tell, but its working so far.

wut.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  882.72 KB
 Viewed:  1227 Time(s)

wut.gif

the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2022 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
So turns out that vertical offset fix (as above) is not going to be possible after fixing the menu minimization on scrolling. But I will make an announcement on the UI themes shortly about maximizing the vertical height, again only on standalone forums themes.

blkt wrote:

Fixed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: