[SOLVED-T] Running 44048 for all Apple Devices?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok thanks everyone. It sounds scary. I will research first before I try this. My current build is years old but works. So I can take my time and get this right.
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is nothing scary about upgrading.

Your build is not just years old, it is also filled to the brim with known unpatched security exploits. Now, that should be scary.

So research that.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only scary if a self-imposed masochistic advanced configuration just do reset after upgrade and reconfigure.
Running through the motions will help you learn or remember the basics, webUI improvements and features.

Login set username, password and confirm password. Setup -> Basic setup: Router Name, Time Zone, Save
Wireless -> Basic Settings: Channels 1 & 149 (or 36), set SSIDs, Short Preamble Enabled (Advanced), Save
Wireless Security WPA Shared Keys, Save, Services -> Services: ttraff Daemon Disable, Save, Reboot done.

This is an example basic 20 MHz setup. Router name optional, blank is DD-WRT. SSIDs separate and simple.

Last edited by blkt on Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:40; edited 1 time in total
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Only scary if a self-imposed masochistic advanced configuration just do reset after upgrade and reconfigure.

Running through the motions will help you learn or remember the basics, webUI improvements and features.

This is what I initially envisioned.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Provided a basic setup edit above.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fear is the ultimate bullshit prison that prevents us from being who we are.

We have advised you on even how to keep a human readable config, what to do to get best results, now the only factor is a little time investment on getting it back to the config you need with modern UI/DD-WRT.

And Im not even sure what the problem is your side besides fear, we have how-tos and expert advice on most advanced stuff like pi-hole/vpn/vaps/switch configs, so if youre concerned about any particular area you should perhaps try to verbalize it, so we can nudge you in the right direction before you bite the bullet.

Fear not. With you the force is.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Last edited by the-joker on Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:49; edited 1 time in total
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Provided a basic setup edit above.

Ok thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Fear is the ultimate bullshit prison that prevents us from being who we are.

We have advised you on even how to keep a human readable config, what to do to get best results, now the only factor is a little time investment on getting it back to the config you need with modern UI/DD-WRT.

And Im not even sure what the problem is your side besides fear, we have how-tos and expert advice on most advanced stuff like pi-hole/vpn/vaps/switch configs, so if youre concerned about any particular area you should perhaps try to verbalize it, so we can nudge you in the right direction before you bite the bullet.

Fear not. With you the force is.

Yes Fear is a bullshit prison!! I love the way you defined fear. I will remember that forever.

I am not understanding how to get the human readable config. I am getting an error in terminal. Do I do a backup and replace the name of the backup in terminal command? The backup downloads to my computer with name nvrambak_r44048_WRT32XAC3200_Linksys%20WRT32X-4.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
emanon wrote:
Yes Fear is a bullshit prison!! I love the way you defined fear. I will remember that forever.

I am not understanding how to get the human readable config. I am getting an error in terminal. Do I do a backup and replace the name of the backup in terminal command? The backup downloads to my computer with name nvrambak_r44048_WRT32XAC3200_Linksys%20WRT32X-4.

Code:
nvram show > /tmp/somebackupname-id-date.txt

Then use SCP/SFTP or whatever to grab that file to desktop.

To clarify somebackupname-id-date is whatever you are most comfortable with.

What you are doing is downloading a non human readable backup which you should not restore. Human readable is not the same as a regular backup. Human readable backup which I outlined is just a text file dump of all the current nvram variables and their values. You should only use this has a reference file.

Last edited by the-joker on Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:06; edited 1 time in total
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
macOS terminal copying to clipboard: 'cat /tmp/file.txt | pbcopy' or 'pbcopy < /tmp/file.txt'

macOS has scp command. Fairly certain your router has sftp too, so filezilla, cyberduck etc.

Another way is Telnet/SSH as root in PuTTY with logging enabled and then run nvram show.
Or, click upper-left corner of PuTTY window, copy all to clipboard, then paste into a notepad.
Learning how to use WinSCP for files is a good idea and of course knowing is half the battle.

New Build - 07/30/2022 - r49599
emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
So finally upgraded. I was delayed because all my computers are USB-C and I couldn't locate my USB-C to Ethernet adapter to allow me to have a wired connection to the router. I gave up searching and purchased a new one. I went with the absolute latest build (r49599 07/30/22).

So far no issues!!! All devices are connected and no one in the house has complained yet!

The only somewhat-of-an-issue I'm having is when I select the Setup or Services tab sometimes it's very slow to connect. It eventually does connect but minutes later. I guess I'll ask about this in the feedback thread for the build.

Thanks all for your help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
The build threads are not for asking or seeking information generally speaking, unless to report if build works or not.

What I think your issue is about is likely you didnt reset the router to defaults and reconfigured from scratch.

I also think there is a possibility that you need to clear the browser cache by CTRL+F5 and this could also help.

Your previous build was too old and too much has changed to a current build. Which you dont really say which it is you are at now if its what on the signature its already outdated and recently many drivers have been receiving updates.

Current latest is http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-03-2022-r49626/

emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
The build threads are not for asking or seeking information generally speaking, unless to report if build works or not.

What I think your issue is about is likely you didnt reset the router to defaults and reconfigured from scratch.

I also think there is a possibility that you need to clear the browser cache by CTRL+F5 and this could also help.

Your previous build was too old and too much has changed to a current build. Which you dont really say which it is you are at now if its what on the signature its already outdated and recently many drivers have been receiving updates.

Current latest is http://ftp.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2022/08-03-2022-r49626/

Wow you are right. I didn't clear the cache. I just did and now the connection is immediate! I thought I had the latest build (yes it's identified in my siggy). While I have some free time, I'll upgrade again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 16:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Glad it helped.

Your old build was caching much incompatible CSS amongst other things, too much has changed Web interface wise and in backend as well, but you cant benefit from backend clearing without a nvram reset and re-configuring from scratch. That should shake loose any gremlins left.

But do that in your own time, its never easy when others are shouting at you, so you may need to do it when they are asleep.

Every tech company has some downtime and so must our home networks to keep them at peek performance, though there are no guarantees ever and murphys law applies.

emanon
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Glad it helped.

Your old build was caching much incompatible CSS amongst other things, too much has changed Web interface wise and in backend as well, but you cant benefit from backend clearing without a nvram reset and re-configuring from scratch. That should shake loose any gremlins left.

But do that in your own time, its never easy when others are shouting at you, so you may need to do it when they are asleep.

Every tech company has some downtime and so must our home networks to keep them at peek performance, though there are no guarantees ever and murphys law applies.

Totally agree!

Navigation

Jump to: