Archer C7 V5 US Client fails to connect unless Mixed is on.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
herkow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 16:53    Post subject: Archer C7 V5 US Client fails to connect unless Mixed is on. Reply with quote
Hi, I did search for the answer but I couldn't find it, so I'm creating this post.

Router: Archer C7 V5 US, connected as main router to Fiber (PPPoE). Build 49544. There's 5 meters and a wall between router and client.

*The issue ONLY occurs with Xiaomi MiStick*

Almost 2 years ago I bought a MiStickTV from Xiaomi, and it worked OK. I mostly used it for short time periods, like a movie or so. Almost 3 weeks ago I started using it to watch TV (Movistar TV) and found that the connection started to drop and even worst, doesn't even show in the SSIDs list. And most unbelievable: I tought it didn't support 5GHz, but when I saw my neighbour's AP showing 5GHz, I almost pee my pants. After a million configuration changes, I found that setting Network Mode to MIXED on 2.4 radio, solved the problem.Then I changed 5GHz radio to MIXED too, and it showed up in the SSIDs list. The previous "not working" config was the recommended on QCA best settings. On the attached images you can see the setup, and here's the thing: if I change the Network Mode to QCA best without changin anything elese, 5GHz radio disappears from SSIDs list on the client, and 2.4GHz drops connection. The issue occurs with all previous builds, since 2 years ago.

If you can give some light on this, it would be awesome.

Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's because of your overall wifi settings. You're asking your APs to use RTS/CTS but have no way to set fragmentation threshold, so that's probably a possibility of where some of the issues lie. I believe the Mixed / NG-Mixed issue was already discussed, but validity of that is questionable in my mind.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
BubbaMoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't have an answer but I can say on my Archer C7 V2 Chromecast devices(V1 & V2) will only connect to 5ghz if the network mode is in mixed.
jbkt23
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I use NG-Mixed / Mixed

What you use is more dependent on what your clients need not what is necessarily recommended. I found the threads that precede the QCA recommendations sticky to be more informative as there is always more than one way to do things as you've found.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would agree that you do not need RTSC enabled but I don't think it is your main problem.

I would ask two questions but I probably won't come back to read the answers.

Why are you using 8OMhz on the 5Ghz channel?
Do you think you need 1300 MBps or would 600 Mbps be enough for you based on what your ISP is providing you and if you switch to 40Mhz and N/AC mixed on the 5Ghz channel?

Why are you trying to connect at 20MHz in the 2.4 GHz channel?

2.4GHz channel wide 40Hz with either N/G Mixed selected or N selected should work fine.

BONUS QUESTIONS: Why is your ACK timing so high on the one radio. Why did you change it? Do you understand what it actually does?
sope
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I personally think people get to stuck on details in this forum and therefore have only participated in read only mode for the past 20+ years.

I have decided to produce a comedy video while I see so many people selling their old routers for the next big thing because they didn't know how to get the most out of the old router.

https://youtu.be/70NGhSexodU
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 1300Mbit is the maximum PHY rate and not the throughput and the rate depends on the antenna configuration of the client.

With a 2x2 client it is only max 866Mbit and with a 1x1 client 433Mbit.

This results in a maximum throughput of ~600Mbit (2x2) and ~300Mbit (1x) respectively.

and that under optimal conditions

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Wed Aug 03, 2022 18:54; edited 1 time in total
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
sope wrote:
I personally think people get to stuck on details in this forum and therefore have only participated in read only mode for the past 20+ years.

I have decided to produce a comedy video while I see so many people selling their old routers for the next big thing because they didn't know how to get the most out of the old router.

https://youtu.be/70NGhSexodU

I found the comedy most on the voice side but just because you mentioned people get hung on details here how you write millihertz abbreviated to mHz.

Your remark on the next big thing is right on the moneyhertz also Wink

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
herkow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
sope wrote:
I would agree that you do not need RTSC enabled but I don't think it is your main problem.

I would ask two questions but I probably won't come back to read the answers.

Why are you using 8OMhz on the 5Ghz channel?
Do you think you need 1300 MBps or would 600 Mbps be enough for you based on what your ISP is providing you and if you switch to 40Mhz and N/AC mixed on the 5Ghz channel?

Why are you trying to connect at 20MHz in the 2.4 GHz channel?

2.4GHz channel wide 40Hz with either N/G Mixed selected or N selected should work fine.

BONUS QUESTIONS: Why is your ACK timing so high on the one radio. Why did you change it? Do you understand what it actually does?

Because in the QCA best settings, wich is supposedly the holly grail of the forum, it says so.

Maybe I'm wrong and "QCA best" is the equivalent crap to "Router database", in wich case I wonder why in the name of Great Scott there's still Router Database available and QCA best. Is like having a restaurant with poison on the menu and in very small letters in the back an advice saying "don't order this menu item because is poison", wich is what exactly happens with router database. Why is on the site if nobody should use it? That's what I call comedy.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Historically, there have been many sources of information on this or any public forum for the common good and with good intentions. The problem with the QCA best sticky is that it doesn't address the fact that wired ethernet and wifi ethernet frames are two different beasts in certain aspects (specifically size), and, of course, that the fragmentation threshold is not configurable via webUI and the number for RTS/CTS protection / RTS threshold is wrong by the "recommendation" linked. Of course, the drivers may disregard certain nvram variables to begin with, but that is a matter of dissecting the driver code. I have tested adjusting the fragmentation threshold via nvram variable and settings for RTS/CTS protection / RTS threshold going by the recommendation in the linked article to some degree, but making an arbitrary "one size fits all" recommendation is not something I would do.
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is no such thing one size fits all where best settings are concerned for any platforms.

The topics dont explicitly say this outright but perhaps they should.

Many considerations must be taken, if the proposed settings on such threads are or not ideal for all setups and environmental factors and types of clients used. Each user will have different routers with different capabilities, then different clients with varied radios and capabilities.

Then environmental factors, clearly some users may be in more crowded environments and physical environmental factors like walls and lining, materials etc...

So, clearly neither the basic settings shoe nor best settings shoe are going to be a perfect fit for each Cinderella. But it may fit many Cinderellas just fine, we have no way of knowing, until they have tried it.

Assuming otherwise, is just unwise.

Sadly the author has bolted and hasn't posted anything for a while and so others should step in and try to do better. I can support such efforts and will help where possible updating the stickies.

There are also no such topics for other platforms, or different routers so its not a job to be taken lightly.

In conclusion:

One shoe will never fit all, its not a realistic expectation but in the meanwhile we know that pointing users to them and because we do not know if the settings will suit a specific user or not, there is no harm in trying.

The broadcom thread shoe fit my Cinderalla foot on all counts, but it may not fit the next Cinderally I send that way and Im not going to dismiss the threads outright... There is value to be had and information to be learned. And since the Ciderellas are not forthright with all the information needed to provided a custom fit shoe, well...

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: