general speed on older router about half of stock firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
@Gameman Advanced Kid

this guy is trolling - complete waste of time
we have told him all this several times and what we tell him is completely ignored

actually you have assumed.... you dont know the issue is or isnt that

the guy has 80-90% sirq and now claims again he has no exorbitant high load ^^

i said that was the MAX....running iperf3 it did not hit 100% it was around 60-70 average like i explained in replies if you bother to read. get no where near half on wifi test or internet speed tests.

and that DOES NOT account for more the 50% speed drop vs. stock firmware.

best to ignore all his topics and posts

I have also written several times what the problem is

ho1Aetoo wrote:

I think that's a problem with the ar2313 network driver. It just seems to have terrible speeds when receiving packets. If you look at "top" while doing a large transfer, you will get near 100% in software interrupts. I cannot get more than about 20 Mbit/s if it goes through software.

but hey! let's just ignore that and write 100x that the stock firmware is faster (like on 90% of the routers) and claim it's just a simple setting and not a CPU and driver problem

so.... if its a cpu or driver issue.... why you ignoring it.. should it not be addressed???

and by the way, the quote is from openwrt - so no pure dd-wrt problem - but a general problem with the opensource drivers

...you could configure the router (as already written 10 times) also as WAP and do without the unnecessary double NAT

AGAIN for thr 10th time... im not running DOUBLE NAT.... and wtf is the point if the NAT is not able to be used. i get 55mbit+ on stock dlink vs 12 on ddwrt im ean you excuse doesn't add up

then at least the problem with the cable speed would be solved
because then LAN traffic flows only over the Swicht fabric and not through the CPU - but hey! let's just ignore that too

great, but that does not address confirming the issue
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
your are running double nat - this is fact over and out
if that exceeds your knowledge and IQ - not my problem

and if the WAN/NAT performance of a 20 years old router is not enough for you then buy a router that meets your requirements and there are thousands of them out there

or wait another 20 years until the problem is solved or all DIR-300s have died of old age

the DD-WRT developer surely has better things to do than to fix an ageing router for which there are no efficient drivers available

and now spare me with your ignorance and this was really my very last post which is somehow directed to you
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
cool story bro.

EVEN IF im running double nat. the stock dlink gets 55mbit vs 12 ddwrt....so your reasons dont add up anyway.

and thats just the internet speed test which is max 50mbit down.

so you making excuses for an issue that probably affects more then just this router...

oh and try reading.... i have plenty of other routers. this is about pin pointing the issue with this one, not just guessing

i also rising the fact the issues gets worst in later ddwrt firmwares. so if you think its cool to ignore that aswell then it makes total sense why ddwrt is full of these un fixed bugs

ho1Aetoo wrote:
your are running double nat - this is fact over and out
if that exceeds your knowledge and IQ - not my problem

and if the WAN/NAT performance of a 20 years old router is not enough for you then buy a router that meets your requirements and there are thousands of them out there

or wait another 20 years until the problem is solved or all DIR-300s have died of old age

the DD-WRT developer surely has better things to do than to fix an ageing router for which there are no efficient drivers available

and now spare me with your ignorance and this was really my very last post which is somehow directed to you
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
This nat should be visible with iptables as a postrouting masquerade or dnat rule if configured in gateway mode ? My box runs in router mode (no wan) and I do not see such a rule (what I expected to see)

Maybe someone is able to verify this. iptables should be modificable on shell.
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
wired speed and and wifi to wired iperf test

https://streamable.com/qys46y

https://streamable.com/ksaztx
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
5% idle = 95% CPU load
90% sirq

but I am sure you will tell us again that the router does not have a high CPU load while data is transferred over WAN/LAN
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
the point is either ddwrt performs half as good as stock firmware (55 vs 20) or there is a problem with something.

also as i have said many times it get much worst in later firmware releases. probably not the only router it affects

ho1Aetoo wrote:
5% idle = 95% CPU load
90% sirq

but I am sure you will tell us again that the router does not have a high CPU load while data is transferred over WAN/LAN
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
tgvrfcedx wrote:
the point is either ddwrt performs half as good as stock firmware (55 vs 20) or there is a problem with something.

also as i have said many times it get much worst in later firmware releases. probably not the only router it affects

If you look back at some of the posts, we have already stated why. For me, at least, it seems meaningless to type these long detailed paragraphs to you because you do not meditate on what we are trying to tell you.

and then there is you not being fully clear as to what you are doing with these routers. All I got was "I am testing these routers because I have extras laying around and figured I could help optimize dd-wrt the best I can for these routers".

dd-wrt is managed by, IIRC, 6-8 guys. Brainslayer being the head of dd-wrt.

And with such a small team working on dd-wrt, It would make sense to focus more on newer/popular hardware and less on the older.

Heres a good example of that.

Its 2011. WNDR3800 and WNDR4500 are popular routers for dd-wrt. So the dd-wrt developers focus on those routers.

years go by...

Its now 2014 and netgear releases the night hawk series of routers such as the R6250 and R7000. And dd-wrt users are looking forward to using these routers with dd-wrt running on them.

out with the old, in with the new.

The night hawk routers get 1st priority treatment, the old WNDR series of routers get 2nd priority treatment.

And then another new set of routers come out.

Rine and repeat.

It is up to the dd-wrt developers on whether or not they are willing to go back to an OLD and OUTDATED router and make some more attempts at trying to optimize it so it can be on the same level as stock firmware.

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..

Internet Connection 1
Some Techicolor modem > Linksys WRT3200ACM

Internet connection 2
Ubiquiti Powerbeam Gen 2 > Netgear R9000

Official (but not really) dd-wrt General Discussion element/matrix chat

https://matrix.to/#/#dd-wrt-private-non-offical:matrix.org
tgvrfcedx
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
either way... i have tested and documented this. do as you choose with it.
it may or may not effect other routers.

but in this instance the performance of ddwrt is less then half of stock, for some reason...
could be an easy fix, could be no fix. thats the router i tested that is the result.

and the later ddwrt firmwares the wifi is completely untastable

Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
tgvrfcedx wrote:

If you look back at some of the posts, we have already stated why. For me, at least, it seems meaningless to type these long detailed paragraphs to you because you do not meditate on what we are trying to tell you.

and then there is you not being fully clear as to what you are doing with these routers. All I got was "I am testing these routers because I have extras laying around and figured I could help optimize dd-wrt the best I can for these routers".

And with such a small team working on dd-wrt, It would make sense to focus more on newer/popular hardware and less on the older.

Its 2011. WNDR3800 and WNDR4500 are popular routers for dd-wrt. So the dd-wrt developers focus on those routers.

years go by...

Its now 2014 and netgear releases the night hawk series of routers such as the R6250 and R7000. And dd-wrt users are looking forward to using these routers with dd-wrt running on them.

The night hawk routers get 1st priority treatment, the old WNDR series of routers get 2nd priority treatment.

Rine and repeat.

It is up to the dd-wrt developers on whether or not they are willing to go back to an OLD and OUTDATED router and make some more attempts at trying to optimize it so it can be on the same level as stock firmware.
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
tgvrfcedx wrote:

but in this instance the performance of ddwrt is less then half of stock, for some reason...
could be an easy fix, could be no fix. thats the router i tested that is the result.

tgvrfcedx wrote:

years go by...

Rine and repeat.

you know that you are using a 15 year old router with a even slower cpu than the wrt54g? to max out the full performance of it. best is. dont enable any excessive feature. nothing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 13:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
tgvrfcedx wrote:

tgvrfcedx wrote:

years go by...

Rine and repeat.

you know that you are using a 15 year old router with a even slower cpu than the wrt54g? to max out the full performance of it. best is. dont enable any excessive feature. nothing. this device has not even 802.11n support. its just 54g. physically 54g can only provide abour 30 mbit wifi. so i'm really wondering why you use it at the internet connection with 50 mbit. your router is not capable of providing that speed with wifi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the reply, it was for testing my first install of DDWRT and sharing my result for anyone who cares.

i also used these older routers as they can use directional antennas for long range basic internet links.

i have since found a few faster CPU options, and also still looking for budget routers in my market that will suit
Cartel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
turn on SFE to enabled. that doubled my "low end" routers speed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: