WRT1900ACS V2 no WAN DHCP after power outage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
@egc. Are you suggesting that lack of using FEATURE_UDHCPC_ARPING is to blame?

No I do not know, I just showed which options are used.

The only other thing I can think of is the use of a Vendor class, maybe this provider wants one to work with DDWRT?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1231963&sid=cca4b2d0a85f0321d011c90acde8b5fb

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
If using a vendor class fixes it, that would mean stock firmware determines what to use by default internally. If using a vendor class doesn't fix it, then my only two guesses are the CONFIG_UDHCPC_SLACK_FOR_BUGGY_SERVERS=80 parameter needing to be adjusted to a higher value or testing changing the WAN port's link speed (or checking it via webUI / CLI). There is another thread in the Atheros forum with an issue getting WAN IP as well that caught my attention:

TL-WDR3600 no internet access

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
HapHazardly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
More information
First, @kernel-panic69 I tried 'nvram erase and reboot' from ssh with no change in anything.

Second, I hooked up my other, working dd-wrt router (which is not Marvell based) and did a tcpdump to capture dhcp. This is what I get:

tcpdump -i eth0 udp port 67 and port 68 -vvv
tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), snapshot length 262144 bytes
17:17:36.916941 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 0, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 328)
0.0.0.0.68 > 255.255.255.255.67: [udp sum ok] BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 6c:3b:e5:f7:a5:68 (oui Unknown), length 300, xid 0xe9e71075, Flags [none] (0x0000)
Client-Ethernet-Address 6c:3b:e5:f7:a5:68 (oui Unknown)
Vendor-rfc1048 Extensions
Magic Cookie 0x63825363
DHCP-Message (53), length 1: Discover
Client-ID (61), length 7: ether 6c:3b:e5:f7:a5:68
MSZ (57), length 2: 576
Parameter-Request (55), length 7:
Subnet-Mask (1), Default-Gateway (3), Domain-Name-Server (6), Hostname (12)
Domain-Name (15), BR (2Cool, NTP (42)
Vendor-Class (60), length 12: "udhcp 1.35.0"
END (255), length 0
PAD (0), length 0, occurs 20

and the rest of the dhcp negotiation follows...

Then I ran the same capture on the WRT1900ACS and I got this:

tcpdump -i eth0 udp port 67 and port 68 -vvv
tcpdump: listening on eth0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), snapshot length 262144 bytes
01:02:28.840024 IP (tos 0x0, ttl 64, id 0, offset 0, flags [none], proto UDP (17), length 328)
0.0.0.0.68 > 255.255.255.255.67: [udp sum ok] BOOTP/DHCP, Request from 60:38:e0:10:62:24 (oui Unknown), length 300, xid 0xea8b4e33, secs 120, Flags [none] (0x0000)
Client-Ethernet-Address 60:38:e0:10:62:24 (oui Unknown)
Vendor-rfc1048 Extensions
Magic Cookie 0x63825363
DHCP-Message (53), length 1: Discover
Client-ID (61), length 7: ether 60:38:e0:10:62:24
MSZ (57), length 2: 576
Parameter-Request (55), length 10:
Subnet-Mask (1), Default-Gateway (3), Domain-Name-Server (6), Hostname (12)
Domain-Name (15), BR (2Cool, Static-Route (33), NTP (42)
Classless-Static-Route (121), Classless-Static-Route-Microsoft (249)
Vendor-Class (60), length 12: "udhcp 1.35.0"
END (255), length 0
PAD (0), length 0, occurs 17

I am not sure what that stuff is about Classless routes and Microsoft but that's about the only difference I see between the two routers. Anyone have any more ideas based on this information?
o2bad455
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
There's also the "secs 120" difference, 5th line down. Is that a wait time difference?
Netgear R9000 - Atheros
Netgear R7000 - Broadcom
PC x86-64 VM - Atheros
HapHazardly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think that secs 120 is from the block I copied. If I'm reading the source for udhcpc source correctly I think the timeout waiting for a response from discover changes after the first failure and then maybe again after the second failure (depending on which version of the source you look at). On the dd-wrt router which works it only sends one discover and immediately gets a response and proceeds to negotiate an ip address. On the WRT1900ACs where it fails it just continues to loop on the discover with no response ever being received. Most likely the block I copied was just one of the many fail blocks that scroll by while running tcpdump.
HapHazardly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Weekend update: Just in case something got changed/fixed in release 49567 I tried it. No changes; still no WAN dhcp ip address. Next, for grins I tried installing OpenWRT. It exhibits the same symptoms but OpenWRT does not include tcpdump so I was unable to capture the output for comparison (funny, OpenWRT has tcpdump available as an optional package to install but since I can't get to the internet while running OpenWRT, I can't install the package to help troubleshoot why I can't connect). In the process of trying to troubleshoot (in whatever limited capacity possible) on OpenWRT I came across a forum post (OpenWRT forum) where someone was using a WRT1900ACS and apparently their ISP required VLAN tagging to get WAN dhpc to work. So I switched back to DD-WRT 49567 and noticed the Switch set up tab was available so I fiddled around with the settings there. The default had WAN assigned to vlan 2 and tagging was not selected. I tried enabling tagging with no new results. I tried changing to vlan 0 with no new results. And finally I tried changing to vlan 0 with tagging enabled with no new results. My next strategy is to try to find out how to capture what is being sent for dhcp negotiation when running stock firmware on the WRT1900ACS. In case it's relevant, this is what ps shows for udhcpc running on my non-Marvell router when it successfully negotiates dhcp ip:
udhcpc -i vlan2 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcp
Note the "vlan2" instead of "eth0" which is what the WRT1900ACS shows.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Check Setup -> Networking tab to see what interface is assigned as WAN. If it's not vlan2, change it, save, reboot.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
sapphireweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:05    Post subject: Did you find a solution? Reply with quote
I have a WRT1900AC V1

Trying to read through the thread and my eyes a glazing over. I am having the same problem on a linksys wrt1900ac v1. It started suddenly out of the blue, using the firmware dated 8-3 and same if I update to 8-15. Somehow I have dd-wrt on both partitions, and can't figure out how to boot into the secondary partition within the linksys firmware. I upgraded using the factory to ddwrt file for 8/15 and had the same results. I have not yet tried going back to a 7-27 or earlier.

In my case it had been working fine. It stopped working all of the sudden while I was streaming with the roku. At first I thought it was the modem and purchased a new one from amazon. when that did not work in desperation I installed the stock firmware. And was surprised the wan port worked.

Is there a way to install the stock firmware from the cli? Do I need to install the stock firmware, then install it again from inside the stock firmware?
HapHazardly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
weekend update - tried r49792 (8/20/22) today. Under the Setup tab in the Switch Config sub-tab the WAN port was set to VLAN port 2 and the status was "down". In the Networking sub-tab in the Interface Setup section, I changed the WAN port from eth0 to vlan2, save, apply, reboot. From telnet session, killed udhcpc then ran tcpdump -i vlan2 udp port 67 and port 68 -vvv. Then from the Administration tab in the Commands sub-tab I ran udhcpc -i vlan2 -p /var/run/udhcpc.pid -s /tmp/udhcp and immediately started getting output in the telnet session. Same as before, just a repeating "Discover" with nothing else (I can post the tcpdump output if anyone is interested but I don't see anything different from what I previously posted. So it looks like vlan2 or eth0 both behave the same and I get no ip address from dhcp. Boot back to stock firmware and everything still works fine. I am completely out of ideas at this point.
To the guy who is having the same problem, as far as I know, you can install stock firmware from the dd-wrt router admin page and it will install to the "other" partition and switch the boot partition so when you restart you should be back on stock firmware. If it doesn't switch partitions just use "ubootenv get boot_part" command from a telnet session to determine what the current boot partition and "ubootenv set boot_part {1|2}" to set the partition to 1 or 2 respectively. Good luck and if you get yours working, please post back on this thread exactly what you did to get success.
sapphireweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 20:43    Post subject: completely flumexed Reply with quote
I am baffled. I am currently on the stock firmware, so that I can at least have internet access, while I do research on this. It is so bizarre. One thing I cannot do, is access the telnet interface on the stock firmware. I have tried disabling the wan port, rebooting, re-enabling, saving and reboot without success. I tried installing from within dd-wrt a firmware from June with no success. One thing I have not done yet, is enabling logging, then rebooting within dd-wrt to see if I am getting any errors. What I don't understand is why doing a factory reset doesn't restore functionality. There has to be some setting somewhere that is causing the wan-port to display as up, but not see any traffic. The stock firmware is not going to give me the functionality that I need.
HapHazardly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Weekend update - Having seen a couple of other posts where folks were having similar problems obtaining dhcp ip from wan, I tried the things which seemed to work for others. First I flashed most recent build (r50146). Next I tried enabling MAC cloning since that was something that solved one person's problem. No joy. Tried several different MACs. Then I tried setting the internal ip address to 192.168.13.1 instead of 192.168.1.1. Someone else had reported a problem with a clash between the modem ip being 192.168.1.1 and the router having the same ip. My modem ip is 192.168.100.1 but I'm grasping at straws at this point. Still no joy. Next I Tried flashing the ddwrt-linksys-wrt1900acsv2-webflash.bin after flashing the factory-to-ddwrt.bin because some folks had indicated double flashing worked for them. No joy. During all of these tests I noticed no change in the behavior of udhcpc and I also multiple times reset to factory and ran nvram erase. One thing that was a bit curious to me was the nvram stuff. I was under the impression nvram was shared between the two partitions and also that the factory firmware and dd-wrt both use nvram. I am sure dd-wrt uses the nvram because nvram erase always removes the admin login credentials and I have to reset them. BUT, because I flashed the webflash after the factory-to-ddwrt I had dd-wrt on both partitions at one point. This meant I had to reflash the factory firmware and I figured since I had done an nvram erase and flashed over the factory partition then I was for sure going to have to reconfigure all of the settings for the factory firmware when I flashed it. Surprisingly the factory firmware had somehow kept all of the settings I had for it through multiple flashes of dd-wrt firmware AND multiple nvram erases. This makes me wonder where the factory firmware is keeping its settings and if maybe that is causing some conflicts. Anyway, as before, I still have no luck with dhcp to wan working on dd-wrt and am out of ideas. I suppose I will continue to try new builds and watch for bug fixes to udhcpc in hopes that someone figures out what the problem is.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
CLI Telnet/SSH as root 'nvram erase && reboot' if not working properly either doing it wrong or hardware failure.
Highly unlikely but if nothing to lose maybe nvram partition corrupt, 'erase nvram' then 'nvram erase && reboot'.

Yes shared, if you erase to reconfigure dd-wrt then boot Linksys firmware it will read some of these same values.
But, you are also shooting yourself in the foot when two very different firmwares write to the same nvram space.
Always reset after boot into a new firmware environment, or avoid it completely by never going back (webflash).

I understand you are troubleshooting a problem so disconnect WAN, power cycle modem off 5 to 10 minutes etc.
Yes do it again, and especially any time a new router or firmware environment is introduced to the cable modem.
sapphireweb
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:10    Post subject: So, I concede ... Reply with quote
After much hair pulling, and speaking with Lynksys,it has been determined that the router has developed a fatal hardware problems. So I have upgraded to the WRT32X
HapHazardly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Something definitely wrong (I think) with nvram. I ran 'erase nvram' followed by 'nvram erase && reboot', the router booted back into dd-wrt and made me set the password (which makes it seem nvram was correctly erased/reset), then I switched boot partitions back to the factory firmware and rebooted. When it rebooted to factory, all of my original settings for factory were still intact. In particular what I notice is dd-wrt defaults to ip 192.168.1.1 but the factory partition retains 192.168.111.19 as the router ip even after all of the nvram clearing commands have been run. How is this possible? Also, I am currently running dd-wrt r51032 from 12/15/2022 and still unable to get dhcp from modem while factory firmware still works.
HapHazardly
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I unplugged everything for the week between Christmas and New Year... disconnected the cable , cat5 and power from the modem, disconnected the cat5 and power from the router. So everything was down/disconnected for what should have been long enough. Powered up the router without connecting it to the modem and flashed latest dd-wrt then rebooted the router again just for good measure. Powered up the modem without connecting it to the router and let it sit for at least 10 minutes. Connected the cat5 between the modem and router and the router did not get an ip address assigned. Rebooted the router and the router did not get an ip assigned. Disconnected and reconnected the cat5 to the router and the router did not get an ip assigned. Connected the router to another router running a dhcp server and the router got an ip assigned. Reconnected the router to the modem and it did not get an ip assigned. Switched partitions on the router to the factory firmware and rebooted the router while connected to the modem and the router got an ip assigned. Connected a non-WRT router running DD-WRT and it got an ip assigned. All of this leads me to the conclusion there is something wrong between Comcast/X-Finity and the WRT router running DD-WRT. DD-WRT on non-WRT router, no problem; Factory firmware on WRT router, no-problem; DD-WRT running on WRT router, problem. Is there anyone successfully running DD-WRT on a WRT1900-ACSv2 connected to Comcast/X-Finity via an Arris modem? If so, I would love to see a copy of your dhcp negotiation logs and know what your router configuration settings are.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: