Thumbnails loading slowly after upgrade to new version

Katorie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:50    Post subject: Thumbnails loading slowly after upgrade to new version Reply with quote
Hello!
I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM router with a recent beta version of the DD-WRT firmware installed on it. (49544). I've had this router for a while, and before today had a version installed from 2017 for years, since it was stable. I finally decided it was so old it was time to update.

Since updating, anytime I access my network storage drive (connected via a USB dock to one of the USB ports on the back of the router), if I open a folder with pictures, it reloads every single thumbnail from the drive instead of using a cache, every single time. On the old version, it seemed to successfully cache these and load them instantly. I am using Samba, with the same settings as before.

I tried loading them on a different PC just to see if it was the PC doing it, and the same issue happens on there, as well. Also I tried plugging in a different drive, and it happens with that, too. The problem seems to be related to the firmware change. If anyone else has experienced this or could offer some help I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsor
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
The old build you had was using different Samba(drivers), sadly all updated to a new and more secure Samba, as well since your old build lots of security fixes...good you moved on...
let's see if someone will help you out with your thing...
what type of format do you use...NTFS ??

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
Katorie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I decided to use exFAT. I couldn't get NTFS working. It kept saying "Unsupported Filesystem" within the GUI. However, I tried a different drive using FAT32 and the same thing with the slow thumbnail loading was happening with it, too.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Use EXT4 or ZFS.
Katorie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would either of those solve the issue? Seemed more to be some kind of firmware issue with Samba than the filesystem I chose.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Linux file systems work better on a Linux system.

On the USB tab, have you checked "Drive Read-Ahead Buffer"? Mine is set to 256.

Your router also have NFS available as a replacement for Samba. Yes you can use NFS with Windows Clients.
Katorie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes it appears to default to 256. Would changing the file system make a difference here? As posted above, the issue also is happening with FAT32, not just exFAT. And it didn't happen on the old version of the firmware.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you ever reset to default and reconfigure after upgrading?
DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Katorie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Did you ever reset to default and reconfigure after upgrading?

I did, yes. Completely redid everything. Also thank you for the replies so far, all.
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you are using minidlna you should state it, minidlna specifically says you need to enable JFFS to store the database else its stored in ram and rebuilt on every boot, while jffs will store the content and only update when necessary, but jffs and usb it depends on how you setup.

Im just guessing here.

So perhaps you want to share your setup screenshots of the applicable pages and perhaps even share syslogs that show whats going on router side.

We cant diagnose issues without data, and issue descriptions aren't sufficient.

Plenty 3rd party DD-WRT components get upgraded, at this stage any of several possible different scenarios could be a cause, also try to remove your external drive from the hub and repairing its FS connected to the PC directly, and then plugging directly to router.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
Katorie
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
If you are using minidlna you should state it, minidlna specifically says you need to enable JFFS to store the database else its stored in ram and rebuilt on every boot, while jffs will store the content and only update when necessary, but jffs and usb it depends on how you setup.

Im just guessing here.

So perhaps you want to share your setup screenshots of the applicable pages and perhaps even share syslogs that show whats going on router side.

We cant diagnose issues without data, and issue descriptions aren't sufficient.

Plenty 3rd party DD-WRT components get upgraded, at this stage any of several possible different scenarios could be a cause, also try to remove your external drive from the hub and repairing its FS connected to the PC directly, and then plugging directly to router.

Here are a few screenshots of the USB and NAS tabs. Sorry for not posting these earlier. I'm kind of techy with other PC stuff, but not really so great with networking issues. I believe MiniDLNA is disabled, based on the option in the NAS tab. I only have Samba enabled. I used a guide to get Samba setup in the old version of DD-WRT and just dropped those same settings into this version. It appears there are some new options though now, which i'm not as familiar with.

wrt3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.04 KB
 Viewed:  931 Time(s)

wrt3.jpg

wrt2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  140.94 KB
 Viewed:  929 Time(s)

wrt2.jpg

wrt1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  205.91 KB
 Viewed:  930 Time(s)

wrt1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: