ProFTPD vs vsftpd, have your say.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Light blue is a symlink. Green is an executable. All the busybox applets are symlink'd to the main busybox binary file. Busybox itself is configured by platform and firmware image size (micro, mini, std, etc).

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/rules/busybox.mk

I don't *think* that we are using tftp capability in dnsmasq...

https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/dnsmasq/Makefile

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Although tampering with the Makefiles is taking place you have to look at rules/dnsmasq.mk

Unless CONFIG_DNSMASQ_TFTP=y is set in the config file there is no TFTP compiled in for DNSMasq.

I do not know all the used config files but I doubt it is in one of them.
I tried to add it a long time ago and got a build error and as I do not use it, I did not research it further.

The only present router running a BS build shows no TFTP:
Quote:
root@R7800:~# dnsmasq -v
Dnsmasq version 2.87test8 Copyright (c) 2000-2022 Simon Kelley
Compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt no-DBus no-UBus no-i18n no-IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua no-TFTP no-conntrack ipset no-nftset no-auth cryptohash DNSSEC loop-detect inotify no-dumpfile

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fact part:
both are GPL licenses
Proftpd is currently configured and setup with DDWRT, changing over to vsftpd would take time and effort, this could break things and have people complain, what other areas of DDWRT need more work?

Opinion:
Years ago... I ended up with vsftpd because it made more sense to me configuration wise and documentation but either is fine.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
People already have a hard enough time "handling" current DD-WRT features and I don't think we are even scratching the surface on the features in ProFTPD being utilized. It would be one thing if we were making use of all of the k00l k1dz l33t bits, but what it looks like to me is that we are only using the basics outside of pppoe and radius authentication, which isn't exactly needed IMHO and maybe not be an inclusive part of the proftpd internal authentication mechanism to begin with, but I would have to chase the rabbit down the hole for pertinents to verify for sure.
Wikipedia wrote:
Along with vsftpd and Pure-FTPd, ProFTPD is among the most popular FTP servers in Unix-like environments today. Compared to those, which focus e.g. on simplicity, speed or security, ProFTPD's primary design goal is to be a highly feature rich FTP server, exposing a large amount of configuration options to the user.

Keep. It. Simple. S*****, make it faster, more secure, and save flash space all at once might be a good idea. Pretty sure switching wouldn't be that difficult or cause issues...

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
-snip-
Proftpd is currently configured and setup with DDWRT, changing over to vsftpd would take time and effort, this could break things and have people complain, what other areas of DDWRT need more work?
-snip-

I don't know how to answer your question from my perspective, because my perspective is not yours or anyone else's perspective. What I can say regarding the topic of this thread is that the transition is actually more painless than you think and was already tested and developed. Whether it sees the light of day in official firmware releases is up in the air. The lack of comment by the community currently says, "no".

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: