WRT54G-TM support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tdtran1025
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 18:04    Post subject: WRT54G-TM support Reply with quote
TMobile launched the HotSpot@Home in June 07 along with a Linksys router model WRT54-TM. The TM after the hyphen probably indicates it has Made-for-TMobile firmware, which brings up this sticking point.
It is a good router with plenty of memory to spare(32MB RAM, 8MB flash) but there's no clean way of flashing the unit other than using Parallel JTAG cable. This may hinder or slow the adoption of DD-WRT in my opion.
Would you experts look into this and pull it off. This is one chance for users to get the current Linksys model with decent memory size and flash to enjoy future revisions of DD-WRT without going to auction sites to get those archaic models. Besides, current users of the Tmobile service can get this device for free after rebate.
Now I cannot think of a better proposition than this. Usually after the Linux community finds a loop hole in any particular model, the maker discontinues that model almost immediately. But I don't think TMobile will that right away. They(TMobile) may even ahve plans for this router through firmware upgrades to expand or offer other features.
Come on gurus! Let's do this without JTAG.
Sponsor
hotdogger
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have one of these TM routers and have been away from this discussion for awhile. Should I assume that jtag is still the only way? Are there any prospects for this being overcome, or is it a physical issue with the router that just won't allow flashing?

Thanks.
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Currently JTAG is the only method to flash the WRT54G-TM router. They have been working on a non-JTAG solution. In time it will come. I have been working with Tornado on this and he is working on a CFE_Updater that will allow web based firmware flashing.

The problem with the Linksys firmware that comes on these routers is that not only does it check the firmware you are flashing on it for the correct code pattern in the header, which is W54T, but it also performs a CRC check on the firmware image that you are trying to flash.

The Linksys firmware stores 2 copies of itself in the flash, and if one copy is bad or incorrect, it copies from the other copy to the bad/incorrect copy.

Got OpenDNS?
slimey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Luniz2k1 wrote:

The Linksys firmware stores 2 copies of itself in the flash, and if one copy is bad or incorrect, it copies from the other copy to the bad/incorrect copy.

Thats interesting, I was kinda wondering when this would show up in a soho router.
ninjamaster
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
i sent tornado the CFE from one of my t mobile routers. it sounds like its going to be dd-wrt compatible with out jtag very shortly. honestly, its so easy to build a jtag cable, and such a good idea to have one. i got a tmobile router before i found anything remotely saying "JTAG ONLY" so i ended up building a jtag cable for around 5 bucks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to all, esp those working on the non-JTAG solution.

Not sure if it's more true to say "I'm not technically inclined" or "I'm lazy".Razz Either way, if a non-JTAG solution is nearly at hand, I'll hand onto my TM router that I got for free with my new phone and wait for the non-JTAG solution, rather than selling it and getting another router. I have the new T--Mobile phone service that allows unlimited talking via wifi, but I need more coverage in my house.

What's the best way to keep posted as to the availability of the non-JTAG solution for this router? Just watch this forum? Or should I be watching elsewhere?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
bumper, can anyone point me to a guide how to flash wrt54g-tm using jtag, thanks a bunch!!
slimey
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
bugmenot wrote:
bumper, can anyone point me to a guide how to flash wrt54g-tm using jtag, thanks a bunch!!

http://dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22655
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
FYI, a non-JTAG solution is almost finished. Cool

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38392

Got OpenDNS?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: