[SOLVED!] the Firmware Modification Kit still a viable tool?

MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:11    Post subject: [SOLVED!] the Firmware Modification Kit still a viable tool? Reply with quote
I was recently able to get the FMK to extract the header, kernel and file system for a newer bin. It was also able to re-create a new bin file from those components (i did not actually change anything, just testing for now). But when I tried to load the new bin file into the router it gave a checksum error.

Before I spend anymore time screwing around with this, I thought i should ask if the FMK is even able to work with the newer bins? (seems it hasnt been updated in many years).
I know that the web-gui is somehow locked to prevent modifications, but I'm not sure if there is anything else in the new bins that obfuscates something needed for the checksum etc..

If it makes any difference, the bin file was dd-wrt.v24-49492_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega_f7d3302 for an old Belkin F7D3302 (Broadcom BCM4716 chip).

Thanks!

Last edited by MuzzleVelocity on Mon Jul 18, 2022 13:24; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any changes inside the firmware image changes the header checksum value; the checksum validation on flash will see this and will not allow flashing the modified file if the FMK process of rebuilding the image does not modify the header checksum value. At least that is what my barely awake brain seems to think. <grin>
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
not allow flashing the modified file if the FMK process of rebuilding the image does not modify the header checksum value<grin>

thats the obvious explanation, but I ASSumed that the build-firmware.sh script in the FMK would re-create a new checksum, otherwise it wouldnt be very useful, would it?

I did try a little test though. I monitored the serial console during the bin upload, and saw what checksum it was expecting, vs whats in the bin. I then modified the checksum in the bin with hexeditor to give the router what it expected. That allowed me to flash the new bin, but after rebooting it bricked itself with a kernel-panic error. it was a longshot, but i tried... (was able to un-brick via CFE though)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I guess I must not have had the entire picture. What exactly where you trying to combine? Were you trying to inject a kernel into a different firmware image? There are plenty of factors at play here. One being kernel modules. If the modules aren't present and the running kernel is trying to load them, bad things (can) happen. A clearer picture of the objective might help finding a solution that works.

Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
What exactly where you trying to combine?

I have some plans for things to try in the future, but as of right now, all i wanted to do is verify I had FMK installed correctly and it was working.

So i extracted the contents of a firmware, made ZERO changes to it, then rebuilt a bin file from it. Theres no point trying to make any changes to the files until i can at least get this part to work, right?

For now i just need to learn the limitations of FMK. Does it still work with modern bins? Is it limited to only certain routers? Has anybody actually used it in the last ten years?
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok, this is kindof solved now.

I was able to get the FMK to work perfectly on the latest build from the BroadCom_K26 generic folder. My original test was from a file in Broadcom_K3X.

So unless someone has better info, I'm going to declare that FMK is not compatible with Kernel 3 or higher, but K26 is still good. I would update the wiki, but i don't have access.
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for making my curiosity get the better of me. In order of sources of information outside of the DD-WRT wiki:

https://bitsum.com/firmware_mod_kit.htm (info prior to move to googlecode site?)

https://code.google.com/archive/p/firmware-mod-kit/ (main site)

https://github.com/mirror/firmware-mod-kit (GitHub mirror)

https://github.com/openwrt-stuff/firmware-mod-kit (more recent development in this one)

https://github.com/rampageX/firmware-mod-kit (most updated, but you have to compile your own FMK from cloning this repo)

One of the original folks behind the FMK is a former Developer/Maintainer of DD-WRT and it was originally written when uClibc was used across the board in embedded linux firmware projects. At least that is a semi-educated theory of sorts.

MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2022 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Success! Was able to get the FMK to extract and re-build a K3x (Kernel 4) build!

The two things I had to do to make it work:
1) use the -min argument with the build-firmware.sh script
2) use a generic bin (as opposed to a trailed build or .trx file)
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moved to development forum
Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Generic Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: