Combining/Splitting FTP speed

whosyourdaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 14:58    Post subject: Combining/Splitting FTP speed Reply with quote
Hi,

I do own a D-LINK DIR 880L with the Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r49326 std (06/23/22). It is working great so for. I also use this device as network storage. Therefore I connected a 500GB SSD over USB. Then I activated FTP (to upload the files) and SMB (for the clients to download them). Currently there is only one client.

My "problem" is that when I upload 1 file the transferspeed is around 7 MB/s. When I concurrently upload two files each of them has 7 MB/s and when there a 3 files it's nearly 7 MB/s each.

Don't get me wrong this is great but I would like to use the whole read/write speed. How do I get this to work? Is there a thing like priority or traffic shaping?
Sponsor
the-joker
DD-WRT Developer/Maintainer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Welcome to the forums, my daddy is not you. :0

You could try clients that support multi-transfers.

FileZilla being one such.

But with 800MHz CPU being the bottleneck especially when you're already using it for other stuff router related wether you like it or not, and I dont think DD-WRT's Proftpd is multi-threaded so it works on one core only.

Im also not sure if its possible to up the MaxClientsPerUser Proftpd side as to allow multi-transfers either.

Traffic shaping maybe possible QoS side, I dont use it though, but you will hit the limits of your routers CPU either way.

DD-WRT Inspired themes for the SVN Trac & FTP site
Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

DD-WRT UI Themes Bug Reporting and Discussion thread

Router: ANus RT-AC68U E1 (recognized as C1)
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why not use FTP for both upload -and- download? May not help transfer rates, but you don't have the issues associated with samba that may or may not still exist. I've compared proftpd with vsftpd and I still don't see the magical reason to use a fatter binary (proftpd). Is there some mythical single device that makes use of all of proftpd's features?
And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
A little sideways discussion:

You dont need vsftpd, Dropbear already provides SSH connection which any modern SFTP/SCP client can use instead to transfer files via SSH, I use this daily and works well.

The only limitation here is that cipher availability is cut because it adds to DD-WRT end binary size and 2/4/8MB flash size routers dictate ATM such better ciphers availability, recently chacha-poly was enabled DD-WRT SSH side a total of 10KB uncompressed and no elliptic curve support yet because that's 30KB uncompressed. (this is a pet peeve why routers which are Dinosaurs and should be ejected into space towards the Sun, dictate what is available is beyond me).

I would argue that in all fairness, Proftpd side, there isn't any way to tweak its settings via a user interface and maybe it can be done via CLI but its not ideal. Proftpd also offers FXP ability but again (I haven't really explored) this functionality DD-WRT side, nor FTPS. But Proftpd is indeed capable.

So there are reasons why vsftpd is not needed assuming security wise dropbear's SSH is maintained, also larger overhead on SSH/SCP vs FTP and perhaps even FTPS.

Join in for a chat @ #style_it_themes_public:matrix.org or #style_it_themes:discord

Last edited by the-joker on Tue Jul 12, 2022 17:01; edited 1 time in total
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is literally no need to have a binary that is 3-5 times the size of another when the functionality for FXP exists in vsftpd. Dropbear currently supports SCP and SFTP in DD-WRT. Again, you should be careful asking for my input <grin> <eyeroll>

https://www.google.com/search?q=fxp+ability+vsftpd

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
the-joker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 17:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually changed my mind, instead of replying to you @dale Ill create a new thread instead, before turning this thread into another sausage factory.

whosyourdaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:
Welcome to the forums, my daddy is not you. :0

Lets hope so Razz

the-joker wrote:

You could try clients that support multi-transfers.

FileZilla being one such.

I'm already using FileZilla. The problem is I only benefit from it when there are multiple files to download/upload otherwise the speed is stuck at a limit.

the-joker wrote:

But with 800MHz CPU being the bottleneck especially when you're already using it for other stuff router related wether you like it or not, and I dont think DD-WRT's Proftpd is multi-threaded so it works on one core only.

Im also not sure if its possible to up the MaxClientsPerUser Proftpd side as to allow multi-transfers either.

Hm but is there no way to fake that a file consists out of multiple files to use the total transfer speed?
the-joker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
What you can do is disable `Enable speed limit` in `Edit > Settings > Transfers` to try and use more bandwidth.

See https://www.rapidseedbox.com/wp-content/uploads/image13.png

I haven't used Filezilla in a long time so idk how that looks now, or if you already have something different set or what settings you have Filezilla side.

Also there are server side settings that you could tweak, you should consult the proftpd manual and write the settings to `/tmp/proftpd/etc/proftpd.conf` but idk if they will survive a reboot.

We could do with a way to inject additional proftpd configuration in UI because as is, its rather generalized and fixed settings.

Ultimately you are limited both when using WiFi vs Wired and also to one single core of your piddly 800Mhz CPU, I also have no idea what the `nice` value is for the proftpd process, or any idea how to make it use a different `nice` value (DD-WRT side, Regular Linux its easy peasy) to give it more priority over other processes, YMMV.

Lets see what happens now Wink

mwchang
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
There is literally no need to have a binary that is 3-5 times the size of another when the functionality for FXP exists in vsftpd. Dropbear currently supports SCP and SFTP in DD-WRT. Again, you should be careful asking for my input <grin> <eyeroll>

SCP and SFTP do not support anonymous logins as in true FTP servers. What about passive mode FTP?

Anyway, this thread is about transfer rate. Smile

I think bit-torrent also suffered the same speed problem. Something to do with slow router processor?

Related????

DD-WRT Forum :: View topic - ProFTPD vs vsftpd, have your say.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=332521

Drink, Blink, Stretch! Live long and prosper! May the Force and farces be with you!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/changmanwai
SETI@Home profile: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/view_profile.php?userid=211832
GitHub: https://github.com/changmw/changmw
whosyourdaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
the-joker wrote:

Ultimately you are limited both when using WiFi vs Wired and also to one single core of your piddly 800Mhz CPU, I also have no idea what the `nice` value is for the proftpd process, or any idea how to make it use a different `nice` value (DD-WRT side, Regular Linux its easy peasy) to give it more priority over other processes, YMMV.
Lets see what happens now Wink

What would be a powerful router which could handle this support WIFI6 and be DDWRT capable?
the-joker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
How many clients do you have that support WiFi 6?

I dont think there is any DD-WRT supported routers yet, see https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1204821#1204821

whosyourdaddy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I currently own 2 WIFI6 devices. But this eventually will increase in the next years
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: